Chapter 3: The Order of the White Lotus meets the United Forces

Saira's P.O.V

"Did your great-grandfather belong to the White Lotus?", Li asked. I turned around to see him, staring at my sword. He was staring at the symbol. "Yes, he was.", I smiled. "May I know who your great-grandfather was?", he asked. I looked at him with surprise:"His name was Jeong Jeong. You seem to know a lot about the White Lotus?" "Indeed. Your great-grandfather was a legendary firebending master. I've learnt a lot from him." "You're a firebender?" "Yes, how about you, Saira?" "I'm a firebender too. There hasn't been one non-bender in my family since generations." "I understand...well...we had a few non-benders in our family.", Li laughed. I smiled. "So...you want to become a councillor...huh?", Li asked. "Yes. It's my biggest dream and greatest honour to represent the Fire Nation.", I answered. "Why is that so? Are you interested in politics that much?" "Yes and no. If I could, I would love to work for the Fire Nation military further. But the problem is, that I want to have a family one day. And that's not possible while being in military." " You could.", he stated. " No. But  you. You are a man. I am a woman. I have to take care of my children if I have them one day." Li just nodded.
As it got late, Rin stood up to leave as well as Li. We gave our farewells and Li, the gentleman he was, offered Rin to walk her home but she politely declined.
I closed my door and walked upstairs to take a hot bath. I noticed that I liked Li. I knew Li only two days and it was like we knew each other for years. Even though he was wealthy too he didn't seem to care about that. And his voice. Gosh this beautiful voice. I've fallen in love with it. I could listen hours to it and not be bored. If I could marry a voice, it would totally be his.
After I took a bath, I made myself ready for bed. As I closed my eyes, I let the today's day run through my mind. And that voice...

*One week later*

I woke up before my alarm started. It was 3:30 am. I had to be at my new job at 5 am. So I stood up and made myself ready. It was 4:30 am and I slowly made my way to my job. I still couldn't believe that they accepted me. As I reached there, I saw only a few women. I asked where to register myself at the reception. The secretary asked me to follow her. As she opened a door, I could see older men. "General Asuma, Miss Saira is here." "Ah, good morning, my daughter. I hope you are ready. You will be the new navigator at Admiral Iroh's crew.", General Asuma informed me. "Sen, please take her to Iroh's men." The secretary, Sen, asked me to follow her again. We reached in a hall. She then walked up to a man and explained him, who I was. Then she left and let me completely alone. "So...you're our new navigator. I didn't expect you to be a girl," the man stated," I bet you can't even tell what's north and south. Even I would be better than you." "Obviously not. Otherwise I wouldn't be here honey.", I stated. I guess I hurt his ego because he stood up furiously. His face was only inches away from mine and I could feel his breath in my face. Suddenly I felt his hand on my hip. He tightened  his grip that it hurt:"Watch out what you're saying otherwise I won't be so kind to you." That was enough. I raised my hand and slapped him. I could see the print of my hand on his cheek. All eyes were on us. "How dare you to" "Touch me.", I completed his sentence. "Agni Kai", he managed to say. "Are you sure?", I asked. "Why? Are you afraid that you'll loose?" "No, I'm afraid your ego might get hurt more.", I teased. He then took my wrist and and brought me to a pitch. I guess people trained here. As he stopped, I turned around to see people watching us. "Here and now", he said. Alright. I'm ready. Let the Agni Kai begin.
The man attacked me from the beginning on. I didn't have a chance to to attack so I only dodged. I waited for him to become weak but he didn't, so I started attacking him, without fire. Suddenly he threw himself on me. Damn! I can't move! He was sitting on top of me with a grin on his face. I guess he was killing me mentally and soon in reality. I guess this was my end...

Iroh's P.O.V

I reached the HQ a bit later. As I walked in, to welcome the new navigator, the hall was empty. I heard cheers from the training area. As I walked in, I asked Tadashi, what was going on. "Chan challenged the new navigator to an Agni Kai. And bro, it doesn't look good for her.", he informed. Her? The new navigator was a woman? I pushed myself through the crowd and saw Chan laying on top of Saira. What? Saira was the new navigator? Chan was about to attack but suddenly a fire tornado appeared. All I could see was Chan getting kicked out of the tornado and Saira standing. Chan stood up and tried to attack Saira but she always dodged his attacks acrobatically. Then it was her turn to attack him. Chan suddenly tripped and fell down. Saira was about to attack him but her fist stopped in front of Chan's face." What are you waiting for? Do it!", Chan yelled. Saira stood up and tidied herself. "Never underestimate someone by their look. You've already lost, there's no use in giving you a scar. Keep this failure of yours in mind.", she said calmly. Then, as she was about to walk away, Chan stood up and was about to attack her with his foot, but she turned around and held it:"As I told you...don't underestimate me." She let go of him and walked away. I heard the crowd cheer and ran after her. "Saira? You're working for the United Forces?", I asked. She turned around with a surprised face and nodded. "As you might have already heard, I'm the new navigator. I guess you're a crewmember of Admiral Iroh too?", she asked. I completely forgot that she only knew me as Li and nodded. "Can you tell me, who Admiral Iroh is?", she asked. "Uhm...well...Admiral Iroh is hospitalized. So you won't be able to meet him. I'm the Lieutenant. So I will take over the next missions.", I said nervously. Saira smiled and told me how happy she was to see me at the United Forces. I brought Saira to the ships and showed her her cabin. I then called my crew and while Saira was absent, I told them not to call me Iroh but Li. I explained them that it was an experiment and they nodded.
"So...what's the mission and when will we start?", Saira asked. I explained her the whole mission.
"Welcome to the United Forces, Saira."

H

ope you liked the chapter! In case you are a Yugioh-fan, please check out my newest story Past and Present!