Chapter 72: Fate

Saira's P.O.V

It's been half a year since the birth of my third child and second son, Rahul. While the births of Zuko and Ilah were easy, Rahul's was definitely not. But now he was here and I still was curious how Iroh always managed to know what gender all of my three child had before they were even born.
I was fit and back to my duties as the Fire Nation Princess and Supreme Commander of my nation's military. I was really proud of myself and happy. I loved the military and I was happy that I was back after almost thirteen years. Today I would meet War Minister Zhao-Ji since he asked me for an appointment. I had no idea, what he would talk to me about. Whatever it was, it seemed to bother him. So I changed and walked over to the Fire Nation Palace, where the Minister would meet me. As I walked into the meeting hall, he was already waiting as well as Fire Lady Izumi and Prince Hayao. Iroh was back in the United Republic and tried to solve its problem. During the Harmonic Convergence, Unalaq opened the portal to the Spirit World. And that bright portal was situated in the heart of Republic City. I didn't have the fortune to see it unfortunately. But I was lucky enough to be inside of this magnificent world. The portal itself wasn't the problem. The roots and the mysterious animals from inside were the problem. People of Republic City were afraid of it and as everybody knows, humans attack those, who they are afraid of. That's the reason why Iroh and other chosen people have to solve the problem and, of course to take care of the portal.
As I took place next to Iroh's empty seat, the War Minister stood up and bowed once again.

"Now that you are here, I think it would be a good idea to let you alone. Whatever it is, Saira. Decide wisely.", Fire Lady Izumi smiled. Then War Minister Zhao-Ji stood up and bowed while I curtseyed.
When their Majesties left, War Minister Zhao-Ji smiled:"It's good to have you back, in the Fire Nation Military, Your Highness."

"Please, Minister, you don't have to call me that. We don't have to be that formal. I'm still the same. Nothing changed."

"Except that you are the missus of our Crown Prince, Saira. It's been years since you last worked with me."

"Yeah, it is. I hope everything is fine. Something's bothering you?"

"Well, my dear. Not really. There is just something to do."

"What is it?"

"Do you remember us, sending General Rehan to the United Forces?"

"Yes, for examining the United Republic and their actions."

"Indeed. Now, since General Rehan isn't anymore and since you are the new Supreme Commander, it's your duty to fulfill this task."

"Iroh works at in the United Forces. Isn't that enough?"

"It is more than enough. But that's the law. When the United Republic was founded, the three nations decided to send their Supreme Commanders and and another official to the United Forces. In our case, you and Yuno will go. Do you know why?"

"Because there are five Divisions."

"That's right."

"That means that an other nation has to send two as well."

"Indeed, my dear. It's the Earth Kingdom. The Watertribe will only send one."

"I understand. But how is this ruled? I doubt that you will send me to Iroh."

"That's right. You will travel to Republic City, to the City Hall. There, President Raiko and the military officials of the United Forces as well as the crews will wait. The President will offer you a box with paper stripes. You will pick one. Your Division is written on the stripe. You cannot change or pick an other stripe. Your first choice will be your final decision."

"I understand. When do I have to be there?"

"As fast as possible. I would suggest you to depart today itself."

"As you wish."

I thanked my father's old friend for the necessary information. He stayed back in the Fire Nation Palace while I went back to the Mai Palace. I prepared myself for the voyage and asked my mother to take care of my children. Not that I didn't trust Nanny Mana or Lu Ten and Medora but I just wanted to be sure that everything was fine. Zuko and Ilah were both at the Nursery School at the moment while Rahul was sleeping peacefully.
When my mother arrived, I explained her the whole situation and went to the Royal Air Force, where the planes were waiting. Since Hiroshi's invention, travelling got faster than before. I've been taught by Iroh how to fly one of these, it wasn't difficult and I have to say, that I was an excellent pilot. But it was no wonder since I had a great teacher.
I put my bag on the backseat and got myself seated in the front. Then I put on my helmet and glasses and started the engine.
After a few hours, I landed on the runway of the United Forces. I was immediately greeted by Commander Haku:"Good to see you, Commander."

"Nice to see you too, Sir.", I smiled.

"Had a nice flight?"

"Can't complain. The pilot was excellent.", I giggled and Haku laughed,"I didn't know that the portal was that large."

"Ah, you've seen it. Horrible, isn't it?"

"I don't think so. People just shouldn't be afraid of everything."

"Do you know, which Division is yours?"

"No, not yet. But I hope I get yours. I want to know how you are as Commander.", I grinned.

"Well better than Iroh.", he chuckled.

"Oh really? What makes you think that?"

"Well, I didn't start a relationship with my then navigator.", he eyebrowed.

"I was going to leave anyway. Although I wished that I had spent more time with the United Forces. But the Council needed me."

"Well, now you are back. And it's good to see you again. I missed you."

"I missed you too, Haku.", I hugged him.

"So, where are you going now?"

"I need to go to the City Hall."

"Great. Should I drive you there?"

"Only if you have time."

"I need to go there anyway. My crew is already waiting there. I'm the only one who is missing."

"Let's go then."

He nodded and I took my bag from the back seat. Haku offered me to carry it but it wasn't very heavy so I decided to carry it myself. We then drove to the City Hall, where everyone, General Juno included, were already waiting for Haku and me. I didn't understand why Minister Zhao-Ji told me this information only a few hours ago. It was true that I was quite busy the past few days but he still could've managed to tell me about this one or two days earlier.
After the president's speech, we were finally allowed to pull our Division, we would check. Last but not least, it was finally my turn.
I stepped next to President Raiko and took off my gloves. He offered me the box and I pulled a small piece of paper, just like War Minister Zhao-Ji told me, I would do. I didn't look at it, nor did I try to do it until the President made sure that I didn't cheat.
But honestly, how and why should I cheat?
He then cleared his throat and gave me back the paper stripe. He ordered me to read and I couldn't believe, who I had to work with. I didn't expect to work with that Division. This wouldn't be fair. If I really had to work with this Division, it really meant that I could cheat. I looked at Raiko with a questioning look and then at the assembled crowd that looked back at me, especially Iroh with his strained gaze.
When he noticed, that I fixed him, he smiled and signalled me to stay calm. But this was insane. This time, I really had to pull another stripe. But rules were rules and I guess even President Raiko wasn't happy about the result, still he looked at me and asked me if it was okay if he announced the result. I nodded and kept staring at the crowd.

"Commander Saira is responsible for General Iroh's First Division.", he announced.

Suddenly a loud cheer was heard and I looked at my old colleagues and Iroh. All of them were cheering and signalled me to join them. I walked down the stairs and got a tight hug from Iroh. I was still shocked that I had to examine the Division, I once worked for.