Chapter 47: Colours of life

Saira's P.O.V

It's been four months now and Iroh still wasn't at home. In two days Tenzin and Pema were going to marry and I didn't want to attend the wedding alone.
Chan's process has ended and fortunately the councillors have agreed to transfer him to the Boiling Rock. I didn't know why I had mercy on this man. I didn't know why I decided to let him live, he didn't deserve it. But he didn't deserve death either, that would've been too easy. I looked at the clock, I promised Rin to have lunch with her today, so I headed out of the council. When I was outside, Rin was already waiting for me outside. I hugged my best friend and we walked to a small restaurant then, the Golden Phoenix, it was my favourite in Republic City beside the Dragon's Flame.

"You know what I did today?"

"I have no clue. What is it, Rin?"

"I looked through our album. I can't believe how much we changed."

"We have grown, Rin."

"Especially you. I'm proud that you finally managed to put on some weight. It really suits you."

"Are you kidding me? I would train if I had time but since this lovely country has so much problems, I can't. I don't even have time to see you, Rin. I dunno how I managed to go to the doctor yesterday."

"What did she say?"

"I don't know, I had to leave early because of the meeting. She said she would send me the results and I wasn't at home until now."

"Hm...maybe it's your hormones. I mean...you barely eat and you put on more weight than I've seen on you. That could also explain why you are throwing up after eating."

"Maybe."

Rin was about to say something but she was interrupted.

"You!"

I looked at the person who was yelling at me. We had the full attention of the restaurant.

"Can I help you, Miss Mirma?"

"I hate you!"

"Well, I was not born to impress you, Katrina."

Urmi already told me, that Katrina would visit me. She visited Urmi too.

"It's your fault that Iroh broke up with me!"

"As far as I know, you two broke up months before Iroh and I met. So please, don't let out your frustration on me. It's your fault that he left you. You shouldn't have betrayed him with that old man."

"He left you too!"

"As you already may know, we are dating again."

"I bet Iroh will come back to me again."

"Okay. Good luck."

"I will give you three months from now on. If I can win Iroh back, you will vanish from his life."

"Okay, no problem. But if you loose, I don't want to see your face, don't want to hear your name anywhere around me."

"So it's a deal?"

"Deal."

And with my agreement, she walked away. Rin looked at me and we both burst out in laughs. It was always funny to see someone like Katrina making herself a fool. But somehow I was sorry for her. I bet she was a nice person deep inside. But unfortunately she showed me her devil side.

It was now evening and I packed my stuff to go home. I got myself seated in the car and drove to the curier. The letter of my doctor already reached and I signed the papers for confirmation that I got the letter, then I could finally go home.
When I reached, I let drop everything on the floor and threw myself on the couch. My hands opened the envelope and I read the letter slow and carefully to understand what my problem was. I gasped and couldn't believe what the letter was saying. I put the letter aside and put my head in my hands. My mind didn't know how it should feel. Should I be happy, exited or shocked and sad? I knew my deeds would have consequences, I knew that I had to bear them. And I was alone. No one could help me. Iroh maybe but I didn't know, how he would react. There was my mother but I knew she would kill me if she got to know. But it was something, I should be happy about. But  I didn't know if I should be happy in this situation.

Iroh's P.O.V

It was the day, I would be home again. Well at one of my homes. The ships took terribly long to reach the harbour. Haku was excited to see his fiancée again and I Saira. I was proud of her, her speech was powerful and diplomatic. Mother and father, who visited me during the mission, where impressed too. For someone who was so young, Saira knew how to charm people. It was a talent, that not everybody got. She tried to unite people and to encourage them. And it worked. At least a little bit because it was difficult to change people.

When I reached home, the house was completely quiet. A few minutes later, Saira walked down the stairs. I didn't know what she has done, but she looked fabulous. Something told me, that she was concerned. It was her mimic, that looked so sad.
When she hugged me, I knew what was changed on her, she finally started to eat and put on some weight. When we pulled away, she still had that look on her face.

"You look great with more pounds."

She started at me, shocked. I guess this was something she regretted and didn't want to be reminded of.

Never tell a woman she put on weight.

When she didn't answer, I wondered what was wrong.
I placed on hand on each side of her face and looked at her. But she didn't try to make any eye contact with me, instead she looked to the side.

"Saira? What happened?"

She finally looked into my eyes, fear in hers. Saira tried to form sentences but she failed. Several emotions were running through her face and suddenly, it stopped. She smiled, with desperation in her eyes.

"Something wonderful happened, Iroh.", she said with a shaking voice.

I waited for her to continue because I didn't know how to react, what to expect and what to say. She was still fighting with herself.

"I'm pregnant.", she finally said.

I didn't think of that. I didn't think of the consequences that night, just of her and how much I loved her. I smiled and kissed her.

"That's wonderful."

"What are we going to do now?", Saira said nervous, with tears in her eyes.

"Be happy, Saira.", I said, kissing her again.