Chapter 70: Harmonic Convergence

Fire Lady Izumi's P.O.V

Lao, the housekeeper of the Royal Palace, walked in, followed by Hayao. I was surprised to see my soon divorced husband. Our marriage was not the rose of flowers, so we parted ways after nearly fourth years. Of course the Fire Nation was not aware of the split as well as the other Royal Family members except my oldest son, Iroh. I have made him promise me not to tell anyone about it. Not even his own wife. My daughter in law was a caring young woman but she was not born into royalty. She hated the formal behaviour, she had to share with Iroh and my grandchildren. Saira tried her best to give Zuko and Ilah a normal childhood, just like she enjoyed. But she could not hide her children from the public eye forever.
Hayao stepped in front of me. He took my hand and kissed the back of it.

"What brings you here, Hayao?"

"Are you sure you want all this Izumi? Do you want us to get separated?"

"I had no other choice, Hayao."

"No other choice? What are you saying dear? Do you want all this to end? The family we share? Do you even know what all this will cause? Our divorce?"

"It will be better for everyone.", I said and held back a tear that was forming back in my eyes. I looked away so Hayao won't see the desperation in my eyes.

"Better? We are role models for couples, for our children. If we can't save our marriage, can they?"

"Lu Ten and Medora are not married yet and Saira is loyal to Iroh till her last breath and you know that."

"Oh really?", Hayao raised his voice,"If she was that loyal, she wouldn't have left him!"

Hayao's words were as hard as a punch in my face. I couldn't believe what I just heard. I knew that Iroh's and Saira's marriage was at stake but I never imagined she would leave my son.

"That's not true.", I managed to say.

"It is true, Izumi. Iroh called me hours ago and asked if Saira was here. He sent her two weeks ago but she still hasn't reached. The crew members of the zeppelin are not aware where she is."

"Maybe they did something to her."

"Maybe or she was just fed up with all this. With all this stress this family has. With all the fights she has to bear and to solve."

My eyes widened. Maybe something happened. What would I tell Iroh? Hayao reached his arms for me but I backed away. I had to look for her. But before I could even step out of the room, Lao was back. And behind him a tanned man. He had blue eyes and I immediately knew who he was. It was Unalaq, the Chief of the Northern Watertribe. It was a bad time but I couldn't resist him. He was a monarch and I needed to take care of him as the Fire Lady and head of the Fire Nation.

"Fire Lady Izumi, I hope I'm not disturbing, Your Majesty."

"Of course not. How may I help you, Chief?"

"Didn't you get my message, Your Majesty? I announced a meeting at your palace and here I am."

"Of course. Lao, please make sure that Chief Unalaq is comfortable here."

Lao nodded and Unalaq, Hayao and I followed. During the walk, Hayao and Unalaq talked about politics and about Iroh. Every time, I met Unalaq, he mentioned my son and Ahana Island. It was written on his face that he was not happy that Iroh fought and was responsible for Ahana Island's independence.
We walked into the conference hall and Hayao and I sat on the throne while Unalaq sat in front of us.

"Well, now that we are all seated and comfortable, how may I help you, Chief?"

"I am here to strengthen the relation of our two nations."