Chapter 18: Homesickness

Saira's P.O.V

I let out a long, shaky breath. Thank you Haku for interrupting, otherwise I would have kissed Li. But fortunately it didn't happen. I could still feel my cheeks burning and my heart racing. Every touch of Li was still felt on my skin. I let myself sink on my bed:"Why do I have to fall in love? Why is it him and not someone else?"

I buried my face in hands and let out a sigh.
"What's wrong, honey?"
I looked up to see Katara walking towards me.
"It's nothing. Just this whole situation."
Katara grinned.
"It's not because of Li."
"Oh but I heard you mumbling about him, honey."
"Are you stalking me?", I joked.
"I call it worrying."
"I don't know what to do, Katara. I'm completely clueless. I hate this feeling."
"I know. When I was at your age, a little younger, I didn't know how to feel towards Aang too. One time I could've kissed him and the next time I could've killed him. But that's how life and love works. And your emotions are being crazy at the moment. Time will rule everything.", she gave me a warm smile.
I hugged Katara jerking for the I dunno how many times when I hugged someone, completely forgetting that I was hurt:"Thank you for being here for me. I don't know, what I would do without you."
"Mention not, honey. That's what I'm here for."

After we had our dinner, I made myself ready for the night shift, although we still were in Ahana, it wasn't safe to let the SS Minato alone. I missed my family, my siblings most. I was wondering what Taemin and Sarina were doing right now. Taemin would probably spoil his girlfriend, Aliya and Sarina would draw new designs. Although we were siblings, we were completely different from each other. Taemin loved photographing, Sarina loved drawing and I loved politics. But music united us all.

I remembered the day when I told my father, General Minho that I wanted to join the Fire Nation military. He was pretty surprised that it was me who wanted to be military active and not my little brother, Taemin. My brother hated military. He was more fascinated in country sides and all other possible views. Taemin loved photographs. I couldn't remember him one day without a camera.

My mother, Lady Kushina, was not happy with my decision. She didn't like the way I was thinking. It was not "ladylike". Since both my father and my mother were stubborn, I was the most stubborn person alive, inheriting it from them. And that's how I won. Okay, I was daddy's little girl, that helped me winning the argument too.

My little sister Sarina, Taemins older twin, loved fashion. It was her dream to dress the Royal Family. She always earned giggles or eye rolls from my side, but I still encouraged her, not wanting her passion to fade.

"What are you thinking?"
I turned around and jumped  when I saw Li. He was only inches away from me.
"Don't do that again."
"What?"
"Scare me to death."
"I can't promise anything", he grinned,"What were you thinking?"
"I haven't seen my family for a while. I miss them."
Li looked at me and smiled:"I know how you feel. I haven't seen mine for almost a year niw."
"That's rough. Why?"
"Work."
I nodded surprised:"I hope you are aware that you have days off and vacations to visit your family."
"It's not as easy as you think. I'm about to get promoted and I need to be ready for anything."
"Is that the reason why wanted to return, leaving these people alone with their fate?"

Iroh's P.O.V

God she started again. Hell what's wrong with this woman? I already told her that we were staying and helping and she started provoking me again. I didn't know what to do to satisfy her. Every single time there was something she found to confront me and to leave me speechless.
"No."
"Obviously yes. Is your promotion more important than human lifes?"
"I never said that."
"Oh you did, Li! You said it indirectly!"
"Could you please stop behaving like a child?"
Saira laughed sarcastically:"You're seriously telling me to stop behaving like a kid? I'm not letting people die because of a damn job! You'll be a horrible Commander!"
Then she crossed her arms below her chest.
I let out a deep breath.

Calm down Iroh, she's a woman. It's no use fighting with her.

"Well, we're still here, aren't we? I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and I'm happy, we didn't leave."
Saira's eyes lowered. She turned her head to the sea:"I'm sorry for being rude. I just don't know what's wrong with me."
I let out a sigh:"It's okay. Sometimes we all act weird."
She turned her face to me and did her Saira-bright-smile:"Playing the wise man, huh?"
"I am wise."
"You have to learn a lot. We both have to."
"You're right. Tell me something about your family."
"There's not much to tell. You already now my father, Minho. My mother's name is Kushina and I have two younger siblings, Sarina and Taemin, the twins. They're currently 17. How about you?"
"I ready told you about my family."
Saira looked pissed.
"What?"
"Nothing Li, nothing."

Why do have women to be that complicated? Why can't they just say what they want?

"You know what? If we have vacation at the same time, we'll visit our families together."
"Don't you think your father will kill me?"
"Oh no, he loves the United Forces. He will definitely be excited to meet you."
I nodded nervously. This wasn't possible. She couldn't meet my parents. Saira would know, who I was. And I couldn't visit her place since her parents were friends with mine.
I still wondered why we didn't meet before. It would've been much easier for me to tell her everything if I had gone to her place. But then, would she still treat me like a normal human being? Or like a Prince or an Admiral?
I wasn't sure. But then I remembered that she avoided my family. That she was never present, when my family was at her place.

I felt arms warp around me and Saira's head resting on my chest.
"Thank you for spending time with me, Lieutenant."