Chapter 77: Sacrifices

Iroh's P.O.V

I've been laying in my bed and was waiting for my shift to begin.
It's been two weeks since Saira and I separated and we've been back to the sea, the day Saira told me to leave. I still don't know how to deal with the split. It was a curse in our family. Since generations women left their spouses, now it was my turn. She had told me the reasons and I realized that I was blind. I knew she had problems and depressions but I didn't seen how bad it got. It was weird to know that she wasn't in my life anymore, well she still was, though. I've spent fourteen years of my life with her and she just decided to split. I didn't know how to process this. I was on the deck now, doing my night shift. Levi stepped next to me and put his hand on my shoulder:"Iroh...what's wrong? Where is Saira?"

"Everything is fine, Levi."

"And Saira?"

"She wanted to stay in Kyoshi Island."

"Why? Is there a rebellion again?", he joked.

"No, she just preferred to stay there."

"Is everything alright between you two? I haven't seen her at our departure. Normally she is always present. Even when you arrive, she arranges those big, magnificent events for you."

"Everything is fine. I think you should rest now, Levi."

"But I'm not tired!"

"That's an order."

"Fine.", he muttered and left.

The night got colder and I put my hands into my pockets. Suddenly I felt something and realized that it were her rings. I took them out and wanted to throw them into the sea but then I noticed a leaf on her engagement ring.
I opened it to reveal that it was a letter.

Saira's P.O.V

I watched as Iroh stepped nearer to the ruin. I had a strange feeling but I still didn't want to get closer there. A soft breeze caused me to my skin to develop goosebumps and I shivered slightly. It was as if he was standing somewhere behind me and watching us. Suddenly I felt something around my nose and a penetrating smell blocked my nose. Then everything around me went black.

I was woken up by a splash of ice cold water. I gasped for air and tried to keep calm. Then I looked around and saw nothing but darkness and a ray of light, that was coming from a door crack. Where have I been? Where was Iroh? I immediately started to bibber, it was cold. Then I noticed that I was tied on a chair. Out of nowhere, a silhouette appeared in front of me. I couldn't say who it was:"What do you want?"

Instead of answering my question, the silhouette slapped me and I thought that my head was ripped off for a second. Then it grabbed my hair and pulled it down so I had to look up:"I've been waiting for you since decades! And what did you do? You betrayed me you little, dirty slut!"

My eyes widened as I heard that voice. His bad breath hit me like a punch. I couldn't believe who it was.

"I thought you are dead.", I whispered, still not believing who it was.

This time he punched the other part of my face and yelled:"Wrong answer, bitch! Wrong answer!"

He then turned on the lights and rand his hand through his hair. Half of his face was burned and he suddenly started to laugh:"Isn't it ironic? You accused me of betraying you but it's you, who is cheating. Who is he?"

I still didn't know what to say. I needed to process what was happening. He noticed that I wouldn't talk so he slapped me again and pulled my hair:"I asked you a question!"

"He's my husband.", I coughed.

He then laughed again:"Oh, so these rings are gifted by him. You know...the only reason, why I survived was you, Saira. In hope that would come back to me one day. But you didn't. Fifteen years have passed! Fifteen! I've been waiting for you half of my life! I knew that you would come some day and here you are! Coming back to the place where you tried to kill me but no! Zen doesn't die that easily my love."