Chapter 63: The traitor among us

Saira's P.O.V

Today was my father's funeral. Iroh and I were back in the Fire Nation now as well as my family-in-law. My father has passed away peacefully, in his sleep, when Iroh and I were in Republic City to meet President Raiko. He and my mother were taking care of Zuko and Ilah when one morning, my mother woke up next to my father, who was neither moving nor breathing.
It was a black day for all of us especially for me. I never imagined him leaving us alone like this.
He was the one who taught me almost everything I knew. He was the one, I always looked up to, who was my inspiration. And now he was gone. I didn't know how to feel. I felt empty. Every morning, I woke up and hoped that all this was just a nightmare. But it wasn't. I wanted to cry but I couldn't.
My father wasn't old. He was only sixty four years old. He was young, too young to leave.
Zuko and Ilah didn't understand anything that was going on and I thought it was better. They still were children and didn't need to know what happened. One day, when they were older, Iroh and I would explain them everything.

"Daddy? Where is Abuelo?", Zuko still looked for his grandfather, but couldn't find him.

Iroh looked in my way, slightly worried:"He is at a better place now, little dragon."

"When will he come back?"

"Soon, little dragon, soon."

I let out a sigh. I couldn't blame Zuko, my father was an awesome grandpa.

It was time for the funeral and last wishes now. Everyone dressed in white, it was the colour of sadness. Ironically it was also the colour of hope. But at the moment, nobody had hope.
My father's coffin was designed beautiful, it was designed by my sister. Mentioning my sister, I haven't seen Sarina for quite a while. Sarina was very sensible and couldn't bear all this. So I decided to let her alone. She needed time, just like I needed it and I was willing to give it to her. Everyone was dealing with my father's death different. And we were dealing with it in our own way.

Prince Hayao was the one, who hold the ceremony. My two uncles and three aunts didn't want to do it, they were too devastated, so they asked father in law to do it. When the ceremony ended, I noticed someone standing in our circle. Someone who was not welcome here.

"What is she doing here?", I asked Iroh.

He looked at me with a questioning look, he didn't seem to know either why she was here. She kept standing there until everyone was gone. Then came closer to me and dared to look into my eyes.

"Saira, I-"

"Why are you here?"

"Pardon?"

"Why the hell are you here?"

"Uncle Minho died."

"He is not your uncle. Who invited you here?"

"Nobody, I-"

"Then leave."

"Saira...I know you are upset but-"

"Upset? I can't define how much I hate you."

"Saira I have made a mistake."

"A huge one."

"You still didn't forgive me?"

"Forgive you? I would rather get buried alive than forgiving you."

"Saira-"

"Tell me why I should forgive you huh? I have known you my whole life, you were one of the few people, I trusted outside the palace. You were my best friend, Rin and you decided to work with the Equalists and kill my family?"

"I had no other choice! Those benders-"

"You are talking as if "we" benders were torturing you, Rin. You are talking as if I was your enemy. For god's sake Rin! Your husband was a bender, your parents are benders! Your nephew and niece are benders! Did you think to assassinate us all? You are surrounded by benders!"

"You don't understand! Haku has left me!"

I laughed sarcastically:"Of course he did. After what you have done. If Haku was not home that day you would have killed Zuko, Ilah, Lu Ten and Medora! What do you expect him to do? To kiss your feet and to come back to someone who was working with the enemies? Rin you attacked my family! Amon's fellows nearly killed Haku and Iroh!"

"I had no choice!"

"You had no choice? Asami had no choice, Rin! But she chose the right path while you decided to betray us all! And you know what Rin? You destroyed your life yourself. When Chief Beifong found out that you were the one behind those equalists, who tried to murder us, Haku visited me the day itself and apologized to Iroh and me. No, he begged for forgiveness while you are here and telling me that you haven't done anything wrong, although you have done something wrong! On that day, Haku told me, that he would divorce you and let me tell you, I was happy that he told us that because you don't deserve a man like Haku!"

"Saira...I'm sorry...I'm so sorry", she now cried.

"No...I'm sorry Rin...I can't forgive you...not after all this."

"Saira please!"

"One more thing...in case you thought that Haku doesn't know anything about you affair with Amon, he knows everything."

"What?"

"You heard right."

"How?"

"I don't know...he was devastated when found it out. I'm not aware what Amon told you or what Amon had promised y but you should be ashamed of yourself Rin."

"I-"

"Leave."

"Sair-"

"I said leave! And don't you dare to get around anyone of us! You wanted us dead? Well we are dead to you! Now leave!"

Rin looked at me with tears in her eyes and finally turned around. I couldn't see her anymore. I never imagined that I would hate someone so much like I hated her. And I could not imagine that she would betray us in that way. I usually gave people second chances but she just didn't deserve a second one.

"Saira...", I felt a hand on my shoulder and as I turned around, Haku was standing behind me," You shouldn't have been that harsh."

"I know, I shouldn't have. But she deserved it."