Chapter 44: Twofaced

Saira's P.O.V

There I got my confirmation. I was completely furious, that I could have slapped him. My hand was already raised but then I remembered that I was civilized, so I put it back down, where it belonged.

"Why didn't you slap me, oh dear Councillor?"

"Because I'm the Fire Nation Representative. It's not my job to slap you, although it's my wish. But I have one question."

"And that would be?"

"Why attack the the Sato Family?"

"Do you want an honest answer?"

"Yes."

He gestured me to come nearer. I knew I couldn't trust him and that he would injure me but I was to curious to think about the consequences. So I got nearer and waited for his answer or for an attack.

"I was bored in here. Oh and don't think that I didn't know about your special relationship with the Sato's.",he whispered and laughed husky.

This time, I couldn't hold myself back and punched in the middle of his face, which crashed against the wall behind him. With this small action, his disgusting laugh faded. After a few seconds, blood was flowing from his nose. He wiped it away and looked at me outraged.

"What happened to the Fire Nation Representative and that it wasn't your job to punish me?"

I grabbed his dirty collar and pulled him nearer to me so that our faces were only inches away from each other.

"I will make sure that your miserable life becomes a living hell. And you will beg for me to execute you, you dirty scum.", I whispered calmly and pushed him away from me.

I tidied myself and walked out of the prison area to General Asuma's office. Before I walked in, I knocked on his door.

"Come in."

As I stepped into his office his lips formed to a warm smile.

"Ah, Saira. It's nice to see you here again after all these years. How are you doing at the council?"

"I'm doing fine. Thank you, General Asuma. I hope you have less trouble, now that I'm not at the United Forces anymore."

"Indeed, my little water lily. So does Iroh. It was the best decision of my life to upgrade him to a General."

"I know. He worked really hard for this position. But unfortunately I was in his crew. You should be thankful to have him. Not everyone can handle me as good as he did. Am I right, General Asuma?"

"I wonder, where you have this skill from. This whole manipulation stuff. Minho knew how to negotiate and Kushina was able to change people's mind. But your level is so much higher than your parent's or better said, you're on a whole new level."

"It depends on how you interpret it. I'm neither my father nor my mother. I'm Saira. I'm an own individual."

"However...why are you here?"

I took out the letter of the United Forces and handed it to the old general.

"Saira, Representative of the Fire Nation and Councillor of the United Republic Council,

The United Forces has decided that Mr Chan Reka is guilty due to the actions in Ahana Island.

Following offenses were committed:
1.)   Betrayal of the United
       Forces
2.)  Murder of the below
      named persons
3.) Bodily injury
4.) Re-engaging of
     National
     Socialism by Lord Ozai

The court-martial has decided that the person named above, Councillor Saira, Representative of the Fire Nation, will execute Chan Reka in the following week.

The decision cannot be taken back and it's necessary to follow the orders, which are given.

For any question, please feel free to contact us or the United Forces.

Yours faithfully.", he read out loudly.

"I refuse to follow these orders."

General sighed:" What did I expect...you have no other choice."

"I do have an other choice. I'm not a soldier anymore and not a part of the United Forces."

"What do you want?"

"I want him to be transferred to the Boiling Rock, Block T."

"It's better to execute him then. Why don't you just do it?"

"Because I have morals uncle Asuma! I don't want to have any blood sticked on my hands. I don't want to live with the curse that I killed someone!"

"You had the permission to do that."

I sighed.

Why didn't he just understand?

"Why me?"

"Because he attacked you and you survived."

"Several men and women were killed by this monster, General. And those have left behind children or widows. Why can't they do it?"

"Because they were not a part of the United Forces."

Fuck the United Forces, I'm not a part of them anymore.

"I don't want to kill him."

"Tell me a better reason."

"He nearly murdered me, General. I suffered for months from those bloody injuries and if Katara and Iroh weren't there, I would be dead today. Why should I do him the favour by executing him? I want him to feel the same pain, as I did. He should feel the same pain as Hiroshi Sato does and the same pain, the people do, whose beloved ones Chan killed!"

"Hiroshi Sato?"

"Chan ordered the Agni Kai Triad to attack the Sato Family."

"Why would he do that?"

"Do I look like I'm able to read minds? He just confessed it to me. And he said he was bored. But you should know him better, you have him imprisoned here since nearly three years."

General Asuma looked at me nervouslly, sweat was running down his face. I looked him deep into his eyes and said each word slowly.

"I want Chan Reka to be transferred to the Boiling Rock, to Block T. He won't be executed by me nor by anyone. If the procedure is done, inform me."

Then I stood up and walked out of the office, without waiting for any response.

I drove back home as far as possible because I just couldn't take it anymore. I was responsible for aunt Yasuko's death. If I hadn't held this speech, she and her baby would be alive today.
As I reached home, I hit the door behind me and ran upstairs to my room to have my privacy, leaving a completely confused Iroh back in the kitchen.

"Saira?", he came in slowly.

I ignored the man who was trying to reach my mind. I let myself sink on the bed and pulled my legs up to me. After a few seconds, I felt a hand on my back.

"Tell me."

"He arranged the attack, Iroh. It was him. And it's my fault."

"Nothing is your fault, Saira."

"I'm responsible for her death, Iroh. I was the reason why she died."