Chapter 13: Farewell

Iroh's P.O.V

My heart dropped when the doc said that she wasn't able to save Saira. "What do you mean by that, you can't save her? She still has a pulse. Her heart is beating!" "That's true but even if I try helping her, it wouldn't work."
"Try? What kind of doctor are you? You aren't willing to help a living person!" "Because I'm neither a waterbender nor do I have the necessary remedies to save her! The object that was drilled into her body wasn't pulled out normally, it was twisted out. It doesn't look good for her organs neither for her lungs since the blood cough.", she explained and continued,"Even if she's alive now, she could die any moment. I'm sorry. I was keen to save her because she helped us so much but it isn't in my hands, Your High- Uhm Li."
I stared at her for a moment and then looked down to Saira, who was breathing heavily meanwhile. Her face had bruises and was full of blood. The pain was still written on her face.
"Isn't there any possiblity?", I asked. The doc shook her head. For the first time in my life I had a strange feeling. And I knew what its was. Haku was right, I loved Saira and seeing her dying didn't make anything better. I couldn't or better said, I didn't want see Saira like this. I kissed her forehead then I stood up and decided to fight. It was Saira's wish to win this war. And I wanted to fulfill her wish.
I couldn't think of a life without Saira now, since she's become an important part of it.
When I reached the battlefield, I saw one enemy falling down after the other, but they were still more than us. I was joined by Tadashi, who pressed a thin pipe in my hand. "If you shoot the enemy with this poisoned arrow they will get down like the ones you have seen.", he explained. "I looked at the pipe and sighed:"I wish you have shown us this method earlier..." Not waiting for any question or answers, I stroke the first enemy, he got unconscious immediately.
Soon I felt my shoulder burning, I was shot with a fireball. As I looked behind, I saw a grinning Chan.
"I thought you were unconscious.", I stated.
"I'm not liked Saira, I don't give up easily like that bitch."
By hearing her name I got completely angry. Her murderer was standing right in front of me but I wasn't as weak as he was. I didn't want him to die. So I breathed in and let the Agni Kai start. He was only able to punch me one time. Chan didn't have a chance from the begging on, he was only able to dodge my attacks and when he finally didn't watch out, I injected the poison in his body. As Tadashi promised, he wasn't able to move anymore but he still was alive. I wiped the blood from my nose. My mind still told me, that Saira said no bending. But I didn't care because he wasn't fair to her either.

We knocked a lot of people out, some were fleeing.
We tied the rogues, we defeated together. The people around me cheered in happiness but I just wasn't in mood to celebrate anything. Even though Saira would've been happy.
"Hey Iroh! Have you seen Saira somewhere?", Haku asked happily. He had seen her injured but didn't know, that she wasn't anymore meanwhile. "Are you okay? No! Don't tell me!", Haku hesitated. I nodded. Haku sat down next to me. He had tears in his eyes. "You're joking, aren't you?"
I shook my head:"Not this time."
"Can I see her?"
"If you want..."
I stood up and started walking, Haku following me. As I reached the place, where I let Saira rest, I saw the doctor. She was sitting next to her, cleaning her face. I could see Saira not breathing anymore. As Haku sobbed, the doc looked up, having tears running down her face and shook her head.
Haku went to Saira and sat next to her, holding her hand. He was mumbling something not understandable. I joined Haku and the doc, looking away but something inside me dragged me to look at her. Saira looked peaceful. No emotion on her clean, black and blue beat face, eyes closed and pale white cheeks instead of rosy. I couldn't cry, not now. Maybe it was because I still couldn't believe that Saira wasn't alive anymore. I still thought, I had a bad dream or better said nightmare and that I would wake up in the next few seconds. But I didn't and it was all reality.

I still remembered the first day we met and realized, that she changed my life and that I never realized it before. I started missing her rosy scent, her long, brunette hair with curled hair-ends, her golden-green eyes and her beautiful smile and positive nature. I was sure that I would never meet someone like her again and I didn't want to meet anyone after her anymore.

Soon a circle formed around us. I didn't realize it until Tadashi touched my shoulder:"Thank you for everything, Your Highness. I'm sorry for what happened and we, the people of Ahana, are willing to support you during this hard time. Did you choose a place, where she should rest?" "The Fire Nation would be good.", Haku cried.
"No. I think she would be happy to stay here, since she fought for you. I know she'd be very happy to lay in Ahana.", I said without any emotions.

After three days the funeral ceremony was prepared. The people of Ahana, my crew and I were waiting for Haku and Captain Zhu to bring the coffin. As Haku and Captain Zhu laid down Saira's coffin, we were allowed to see her for the last time. She was wearing a traditional Watertribe gown and had blue flowers in her hair. Her hands were folded under her chest and her face was as emotionless and pale as I saw her three days ago.
The priest said some words, I didn't care about. I kept looking at her and even in this condition, she was the most beautiful, breathtaking girl, I've ever met and seen.

As her coffin got closed, a tear burned down my face.