Chapter 50: Diamonds

Sairas P.O.V

It's been four weeks since the accident and two weeks since I'm out of hospital. I didn't talk or react to anything, I was completely numb. Iroh tried his best to speak or interact with me but I just didn't react or just shook my head. I blended out almost everyone and everything that happened, I just said what was needed. I felt sick at home and couldn't bear the silence between Iroh and me.

I went to work every day, not caring how awful I looked since the accident, solving other people's problems and going to meetings. Tenzin was missing at the council because he went on honeymoon with Pema. I felt like a statue, the only difference between a statue and me was, that I was moving around and the statue was not. But now, I didn't care I just needed a change, I needed to think about something else.

Urmi suggested me a psychologist but I declined. I didn't need anyone to help me, I knew what was wrong with me and what was going on in my mind. I just needed...time to process everything. Some people didn't get why I was acting like this. For them, I just had an accident. They didn't understand what I've lost and I couldn't tell them. The only one, who knew about it beside Iroh and me was Urmi, since she was the gynaecologist of the hospital.
I had enough of this numbness, I wanted it to fade. But every time, I would hear the whispers of guilt inside of my head and it drove me crazy.

"Saira? Saira! Are you even listening to me?", Rin waved in front of my eyes.

"Sorry. Can you please repeat it?"

Rin sighed and put her head in her hands. Then she looked up to me, annoyed and sad.

"This is the eighth time, I have to repeat myself! What's wrong with you Saira? I want the old you."

"I'm sorry, Rin. Just give me a little bit more time."

"How much more Saira? It's been one month since your damn accident! I don't understand you! What part of your brain was damaged during the crash? Look at Iroh! He's doing perfect even with his broken bones!"

I had enough of this. I stood up, paid the macaroon, and headed back to the council.

Saira, this is wrong.

Do I look like I give a fuck?

She is your best friend Saira.

I don't have friends.

You will destroy your life with this attitude.

I don't care voice in my head! Leave me alone!

But deep inside, I knew that Rin and the voice were right. How long did I think of acting like an angry little child? My attitude wouldn't change anything, no it would make it worse.

As I reached the council, something caught my attention. It was Katrina with Iroh. I didn't know why I did this, but I kept standing here and just watched them. They were in a heated discussion but it ended soon. Katrina gave Iroh a kiss as farewell. A part of me was shocked. I was shocked, no jealous that Katrina kissed Iroh. And part of me knew that she was doing that on purpose. I told her, that I trusted Iroh. And I did. I didn't doubt him, I couldn't. So I walked straight to them, not caring what they would say.

"I didn't know you were around here, Iroh. Hello Katrina.", I greeted Iroh with a kiss on his cheek.

"I wanted to ask you out for lunch but Katrina asked me to chat with her. We were talking about you, by the way."

"Oh really? How nice. May I know what?"

"I was saying how lucky I was to have you and that no one could replace you."

Iroh wrapped his arm around me and pulled me closer to him.

"Have a nice day, if you would excuse us, Katrina, the work is waiting.", I said with the sweetest smile I had. Katrina snorted as always and walked away.

"So, where do you want to eat?"

"I already had lunch, sorry."

"What did you eat?"

"A macaroon?"

"That's not much."

"I know. But I don't have time now, Iroh."

"You've seen it am I right?"

"Please let us talk about it later. Okay?"

"Do you know how much I missed you?"

"As much as I missed you. I'm sorry Iroh. But I needed my time."

"I know. I'm just happy to have you back."

Iroh's P.O.V

I knew that Saira has seen Katrina kissing me. And I knew that she would be upset. But she wasn't. She was completely calm. More...happy. And I was happy to see her beautiful smile again. I haven't seen it for almost a half year. It still worried me, that she was barely eating but she didn't listen to me the past few months anyway. Since Saira already had "lunch" or better said a bite of it, I headed back to the United Forces. I wasn't able to lead the fleet right now but I could do the office and paperwork, I had to do it anyway. I didn't even think of leaving one day of the United Forces simply because I loved my job. And because my salary would be less. I know, some people would think, I'm greedy. But honestly, I'm not. There was something, I wanted to purchase and it was pretty expensive. I didn't want to get it with the power as prince but as a common person, who worked hard for it. It's been one year I've been working for it now and I knew my hard work would pay off. Of course it would have been easier to give my whole salary for it but my girlfriend would've noticed and it wouldn't be something special if I didn't take this effort. The ring would perfectly suit Saira, it was as unique as her and contained her favourite colour. I just needed a few more months to get it. But the next problem was, I didn't know, when and where to propose to her. Boat was cancelled since Haku already did it there and I didn't want to do the same as my best buddy.
Saira wasn't someone who liked fancy stuff. She liked it to keep things simple.

But this had to be perfect because the woman I loved, was perfect as well.