Chapter 22: Home Sweet Home

Iroh's P.O.V

Levi and I woke Shen up, who was not very happy that we got him out of bed. Haku was blabbering something, I couldn't understand. It didn't seem like he was in his normal state.
Levi and I stood with Haku, although I was worrying about Saira. I didn't like the idea letting her alone with those mermaids. Some time later, Haku fell asleep and Shen still couldn't tell us what was happening, but he assured us that it wasn't dangerous.
After hearing these words, I was satisfied and thought it would be a good idea to look after Saira.

As I reached the deck, I saw her sitting along with the mermaids. She was talking and the women listened to her carefully.
Then she asked a question, and the beautiful mermaid nodded. Saira stood up and took out a small glass and let one of the creatures spat in. Then she took out an injection and drew off I guess blood, since the liquid was green I was unsure what it was.
Saira sat down on the floor and kept talking to them. I didn't know, how long I was standing there, admiring the beautiful girl who was talking to these mermaids, not being afraid, although some of them looked scary. Then two eyes, caught mine and Saira turned around. She gestured me to sit next to her.

"He's so handsome! Who is he?", the beautiful mermaid asked.
"This is Li. Li, these are Deliah, Ruqqaya, Luciana, Jodha and Alexa.", Saira introduced. I nodded to each of them.
"Can I convince you to come with us? We will help you survive in the water.", Deliah asked.
I chuckled:"I'm sorry ladies, but I already have a beautiful lady to stay with."
My arm wrapped around Saira's waist and I pulled her closer to me.
"That's sad. We couldn't convince any of you to come with us.", Ruqqaya said.

"Can you please let us go, Saira? I'm sure mother is worrying.", Luciana asked.
"Only if you promise, you won't haunt humans anymore."
"It's not our fault Saira. We are the ones being haunted. Look at our faces, what they have done to us. Luciana is the only one, they couldn't catch.", Jodha defended herself.
"I'm aware about that. But revenge is not a solution."
"What should we do, if they try to catch us again?", Alexa asked.
"Swim back home as fast as possible. We are not able to dive that deep, neither are we fast enough. Use this advantage.", Saira explained.
Then she turned her attention to me:"Would you please ask Levi to come? Our guests are homesick, it's time for them to leave."
I nodded and walked down. As I reached Shen's room, where Haku, Levi and Shen were sleeping. I woke up Levi as quiet as possible and he followed me.

"What is it, Admiral?"
"I want you to bring our guests back."
"Did Lady Saira get what she wanted?"
"I guess so."
As we reached the deck, Saira was holding Luciana's hand.
"Oh my goddess. I can't believe that I'm mermaids . I thought they went extinct."
"Fortunately not, Levi. Please help them to get home.", Saira asked.
Levi nodded and her attention was back to Luciana.
"Make sure to visit us again. And don't forget to use your necklace, otherwise you won't find us.", Luciana adviced. Saira nodded and Levi started bringing each of them down to the water.

"What did you ask them?"
"Biological and historical questions."
"And the blood and saliva?"
"I have to do researches and experiments."
"For?"
"For myself. I'm very interested in other living beings."
As Alexa was put down, the mermaid clan waved and disappeared.
Levi got dismissed and then I was alone with Saira again.
After a couple of minutes, Saira leaned forward and pressed her lips against mine.
"So you were serious with not telling anyone, huh?"
"Absolutely."
"Why is that so, Lady Saira?"
"Because I want to be alone with you, Sir Li.", she answered and continued.

After three weeks we finally reached Republic City. Haku was fit again and embarrassed about the incident. I was still teasing him about it, causing Saira to be annoyed with me sometimes. She said it was normal, that Haku was caught in their spell.
My crew got off the ship first then I allowed myself to step down. I prepared myself to get fired, since I didn't follow the orders, General Asuma gave me.
Saira and I got closer every day and our relationship was still a secret.

I saw Rin pulling Saira in a long hug, with tears in her eyes. Saira was whispering something in Rin's ear, causing her to cry more and to squeal.

Damn, why were women so emotional?

As Rin saw me, she wiped away her tears and smiled.
Then she walked to me and gave me a hug.
"Oh come on, Li! You can't have two women!"
We turned around to see Haku.
"Who's that?", Rin asked.
"That's Haku, Li's best friend. Haku, that's Rin, my bestie."
Haku shook Rin's and they started talking immediately, leaving Saira and me alone. I was about to wrap my arm around Saira but then I remembered that Saira didn't want anyone to know that we were a couple. Neither did I since we were back in Republic City and the paparazzi were everywhere.

"So, how long are you guys dating? You have to tell me everything!", Rin said excited, as Saira closed the door of her house.
"It's been three weeks.", Saira answered as if it was the most normal thing in world.
"When's your weekly anniversary?"
Saira looked at me curiously. I shrugged, having no idea what to say.
"Rin, we don't and we won't celebrate it.", Saira said, still looking into my eyes.
I was glad Saira wasn't that kind of person who celebrated every little thing. My last girlfriend, Katrina, was mad about celebrations, anniversaries, photoshootings and everything else.
Saira was very down to earth. She didn't seem to care whether someone was rich or poor. That's what I loved about her. She was just a common girl, not wanting much, just other people's happiness.
And I knew my parents would have loved her. Saira had everything my mother asked for. She was beautiful, intelligent, a Fire Nation citizen, she had good manners and she was interested in politics.

But unfortunately, even my mother wasn't allowed to know about our relationship.