Chapter 5

“Harry?” A voice whispers into Harry’s ear, loud enough for me to hear. “Harry! Get up!”

“Huh? Mum?” He asks in a raspy voice.

“Yes Harry! Now get up!” She repeats. “Now!” She walks out the room and slams the door behind her.

“Kimmie?” He whispers in my ear. “I’ll be right back.”

“Hmm? Okay…” I mumble, opening my eyes slightly to see a silhouette. He leaves the room dressed in grey sweatpants and that’s it.

I hear voices coming from downstairs and I decide on listening to their conversation.

I know it isn’t right… But hey, the won’t find out…

I sneak out of Harry’s room and peer the hallway corner. I slide down the wall, my back touching it and listen close.

“Harry… That girl, who is she?” Harry’s mum asks with concern, the TV turned on, but muted.

“She’s a friend…” He replies, still half asleep.

“Why is she here?” She asks again.

“She’s just staying over… I promise nothing happened!” He looks at her, his eyes promising.

Why didn’t he just tell her? Was he nervous? Was he just respecting my privacy?

“Harry… Is that Kimberly Parker?” She asks him. My heart stops. She knows who I am! What if she knows about last night too? What will happen to me? Will she take me to the foster families?

“Y-Yes…” He stutters. “I don’t want her to get into any trouble…”

“She won’t… Can you go and get her for me please?” Harry nods and gulps. I quickly stand up and rush into the bed where I pretend to be asleep. Harry walks in and sits on thee bed.

“Hmm?” I mummer. “Harry?”

“Yeah… Listen, my mum wants to talk to you…” He states, fiddling with his fingers and looking down.

“Okay…” I agree. I raise an eyebrow at him in confusion.

“That means you have to get up… So…” He smiles and stands up. “If you don’t get up now…” I look at him waiting for him to continue. He unexpectedly rips the sheets off me and begins to tickle me.

“Harry! Get off me!” I laugh, just managing to breathe. “Stop it!”

“No! Not until you get up!” He giggles.

“Fine! Fine! I’ll get up!” I laugh, he stops tickling me and I take deep breaths. I’m wide awake with my heart practically pounding out of my chest. I lean closer to Harry and get ready to ask him something. “Harry? Wht’s your mum’s name?” I ask him out of curiosity.

“It’s Anne… Now go!” He giggles and pushes me out the door playfully. “C’mon…” He smiles.

We walk down the hallway and down the stairs.

“Ahhh, Kimberly…” She smiles, holding her arms wide open ready for a hug. I smile and walk over to her.

“Anne.” I smile as I greet her.

“I’m so sorry Kim… Things will be hard… But they will get better. I promise you.” She whispers into my ear. Harry walk over the couch and sits himself down. Anne pulls away from the hug and wraps her grips her hands softly on my arms. “She loves you… She will always be with you… In here.” She smiles and pokes my chest gently.

“I know… It’s just…” I gulp, wiping away the few tears that fell. “I’m going to miss her so much!” I cry, she pulls me into a tight, yet comforting hug. I hug her back and sniffle a few times. She pulls out the hug, and I look at her shirt. “Ugh, I’m so sorry about that!” I sniffle and wipe my nose with my hand.