Chapter 35

My phone goes off, waking me in the process.

New tweet from Harry_Styles: I’m sorry.

I ignore it and get out of bed. The only thing I am excited for is getting to hang out with Tomika again. We told each other everything last night. I feel like I can trust her with anything, even after just meeting her.

Martha lets me out of my room again and I walk into the room Tomika was sitting at yesterday… She isn’t in the main room, so I decide to go to her room.

Surely, she has to be in there… Right?

As I turn to walk up to her hallway, I hear many voices… I start to get worried… But as I turn the corner, I see what all of the commotion is about.

I stare at Tomika, she is being wheeled away on a stretcher.

“Jesinta… W-What happened?” I stutter, walking over to her.

“Kimberly, Tomika won’t be around for a while…” Jesinta tells me, she struggles to hold back her tears. “They’re going to take her down to the hospital in the basement”

“I have to go with her!” I shout, running after the crowd of people.

I push my way into the hospital watch as the doctor’s rush around to treat her. Her pale body stares at me, her eyes duller than yesterday.

“I’m sorry…” She attempts to mouth but is cut off by a needle being jabbed into her upper arm.

As soon as she is finished being treated, I rush over to her and pull out a chair, sitting on it.

“What happened Tomika?” I whisper, my eyes trailing up and down her body.

“I can’t take it…” She attempts to lift her left wrist up, but fails and bring it slamming back down on the rails.

I can faintly see blood through the bandage that is wrapped around her wrist.

“No, Tomika…” I stutter. I am lost for words. My eyes are tearing up and my vision goes blurry. A tear falls down my cheek, clearing my vision slightly.

“I had to… The voices were calling me to join them.” Tomika whispers, her voice is slow and quiet.

“What did they say to you?” I ask her. I shouldn’t be questioning her like this…

“They offered me freedom, they said I could be free.”

I can understand why Shyanne made such a big fuss over me now…

“You know, you’re going to be okay…” I smile, the salty tears dying on my lips.

“I want to be free Kimberly. I want to walk around and not be watched, I want to use steel cutlery, not the plastic shit. I want my old life back.” Tomika cries. I want to hug her, yet I can’t disturb her fragile state. The heart monitor reminds me too much of the amount of times I’ve been in hospital.

“I know you do… I do too…” I reply to Tomika. “Nothing will happen to you, you will be free soon…” I smile at her.

Her eyes stare into mine lifelessly. The heart monitor starts racing… Her eyes forcing themselves closed.

“No!” I shout, breaking down in tears. “Help! Someone! Help her! Please!” I yell. No one seems to hear me, and here I am, crying on the floor beside a dead body.

“I’ll be back Tomika…” I cry, squeezing her hand before running upstairs to get help.

“Jesinta! Help! The machine! It’s... She’s...” I can’t manage to finish my sentence, my throat is aching and painful. I rush after Jesinta who seems to be at the basement doors.