Chapter 54

After several bags, and by that I mean plenty, we head back home.

“Lou, grab my sunglasses?” I ask, gesturing to Lou. He is sitting beside me, after an argument over who would sit beside me.

Harry or Liam?

I chose Lou.

“Sure thing Kim!” He smiles, going through my bag and finding my glasses, under a purple book.

I remember that. The diary, the one Veronica gave me.

“What’s this?” Lou smile, grabbing it out of my bag and holding it in his naturally shaky hands.

“Don’t touch that.” I sight, looking at Lou as I slip my glasses on.

“Why?” He asks, opening the hard front cover.

“Louis… Stop.” I attempt to control my anger, looking at Louis, my foot pressed against the accelerator.

“Kimberly, look at the road.” Louis smirks, thinking my anger is a joke.

“Put it down and I will.” I furrow my eyebrows, pressing my foot against the accelerator more.

“Kimberly,” Louis pauses, loosening the grip on the book. “Look at the road.”

I remove one hand from the wheel, snatching the thick purple book from his hands.

I throw the book beside my feet, my eyes flickering to the road.

I stomp on the brakes after the sight of a car pulling out in front of me.

The silver car slams into the car before it, a loud gasp escaping my lips.

I open the door, jumping out the car and rushing to the two cars before me. The car in front of ours, driving away, flipping the other car off.

A loud, childish cry erupts from the car, causing me to stop in my tracks.

I run to the car, looking through the window, to find a little girl, her face bright red, tears streaming down her face. She cries, her screams ear piercing.

I tap on the window multiple times, trying to grab her attention.

Her parents aren’t doing anything to help her, they remain motionless.

I sneak a peal from the driver’s side window.

The fathers, or what I assume to be her father, eyes are closed. The mother, mostly the same, blood running down the side of her face.

On the windscreen, two cracks, expanding into bigger, circular cracks. Glass from the windscreen has fallen on the dashboard, blood smudged on the window.

The little girls scream get louder as I snap out of my daze. I try to open the door, but it won’t budge. I look down from outside the window, only to see that the car door is locked, as of all the doors.

Safety precaution?

Most likely.

I try to act calm, tears gushing down my cheeks. I can’t stand to see this little girl like this.

The girl looks about four, shouting for her mum and dad through her cries and screams.

I cringe as she cries louder, her face bright red with non-stop tears rolling down her face.

I try to stop her from crying, to get her attention off he r parents, but all she seems to do is cry more.

Lou runs up behind me. His arms wrapped around my shoulders, I turn around, hugging him in return.