the next step | dylan

dylan and his best friend, tyler posey, were sat around the roaring fire pit outside of tyler's home. tyler was strumming on his guitar strings and dylan was lounging back on his deck chair, watching tyler's dogs chase each other around his garden.

"so, how's your girl doing?" tyler asks casually after strumming a simple melody.

dylan looked dazed, "hm? she's fine," he nods, "yeh, she's great."

dylan took a long sip of his beer, letting the flavour linger around his tastebuds.

"so, when are you going to ask her to marry you?" tyler asked, leaning over to him and elbowing him lightly.

dylan choked on his beer, spluttering, "ty!" he shouted, then he relaxed, sighing, "man, i don't know..."

"you told me last month you were planning on asking her, what happened?" tyler placed his guitar at the side of his chair and gave dylan his full attention.

"i was... i am, i just want to find the perfect moment, i just love her too much to not be able to give her the perfect proposal." dylan sighed.

tyler furrowed his brows lightly, "it doesn't have to be perfect, she loves you and i highly doubt she cares whether it's perfect or not."

"why are you asking anyway?" dylan raises his eyebrows.

"oh... nothing." tyler smirks.

dylan looks at him skeptically, "sure."

tyler laughs, "no reason," he shrugs, "but since you're my best friend, i'll tell you."

dylan looks at his friend intrigued, "go on."

"well, you know, me and y/n always call each other because we're basically best friends now," dylan laughs at the thought, "and she asked me what you thought about marriage."

"wait, she didn't want to ask me?" dylan asked, slightly hurt.

"don't be so offended, dyl. she wanted to see if you were into the whole marriage thing, that's all." tyler said.

dylan sat up straight, "but why wouldn't she ask me?"

"maybe because i asked her for her thoughts on marriage and then she asked what yours were..." tyler stopped.

"you didn't tell her that i was planning on..." dylan trailed off.

"no! no, i was just being a curious friend." he turned to look at his dogs, smirking to himself.

dylan shook his head, he'd been planning on asking you, he just hadn't gotten around to actually starting the planning.

***

when dylan walked into the apartment you both shared together, he hung up his coat and then walked into the bedroom to see you lying on top of the duvet with the dogs you both shared lying on top of you.

he smiled to himself, his talk with tyler had made him think about how much he really did love you and he couldn't wait to call you his wife one day.

he took off his shoes and climbed onto the bed, lying next to you, he leaned over and kissed your cheek before rolling onto his side and closing his eyes.

***

first one! what do you all think? i'm really excited for this book because i love dylan so much!