set up, part two | dylan

After your coffee shop date with Dylan, he couldn't stop thinking about you. You'd both text each other constantly despite his busy schedule. His best friend, Tyler couldn't be happier for him.

You were laying on your bed in the evening when Dylan texted you, you rolled over and grabbed your phone and unlocked it, a smile spreading across your face as you read his text.

Dylan: How about that second date?

Y/n: I'd love to, when?

Dylan: I leave work early tomorrow, say 1pm at figtree's cafe on venice beach?

Y/n: See you there :)

***

You wore your favourite combination of ripped jeans and a t-shirt paired with adidas trainers. Checking your outfit in the mirror of your room, you smiled to yourself and grabbed your jacket before leaving.

After finding the cafe on google maps, you took a seat on one of the tables outside of the cafe looking out at the beach. You arrived early so you kept checking the time on your phone, it passed 1:00pm and you checked the text again to make sure you had the correct cafe. Beginning to worry when half an hour had passed, you wondered if he'd stood you up.

You checked your phone again and saw that it gotten to 1:45pm, you decided he probably wasn't going to show up so you stood up. Then you saw a familiar figure running towards you. You couldn't mistake his messy brown hair for anyone else.

When he was now standing in front of you he was breathing heavily, "I'm so sorry I'm late, my schedule ran over and my phone died, I thought you'd have left by now..." he said between breaths.

"It's okay, really, sit down." You gestured to the seat opposite you, you were just glad he didn't stand you up.

He sat down after you and smiled, "what made you stay?"

"Besides the view?" You chuckled as you looked out at the beautiful beach in front of you, "I guess I had faith in you."

His honey brown eyes never left yours, "I'm really glad you stayed, my director wouldn't let me leave and then I had to literally run here."

"I can tell," you laughed, "say, shall I order us some drinks? Or something to eat, you look hungry."

"Let me," he offered, pulling out his wallet, "my treat for being this late."

You hesitated before nodding, "okay, but next time it's on me."

His smile widened as he got up and went to order, the cashier handed him his credit card back but stopped him before he turned around, "listen, man, you've got a keeper there, she's been waiting for a long time."

"I know," Dylan nodded before walking back to you, his eyes trailing over your body as he walked back, "you look beautiful, y/n." He said as he sat down.

"Oh, thank you, Dylan." You felt your cheeks burn slightly as a pink blush covered them, Dylan chuckled lightly at how adorable you were.

He still couldn't shake his guilt at being so late, he wanted to impress you because he couldn't stop thinking about you since your first date.

"What's up, Dylan? You seem distracted." You asked as the waiter bought your food and drinks over.

"Oh?" He looked over at you and smiled lopsidedly, "I just... I know this is really weird but ever since our first date I couldn't stop thinking about you and now I feel like a jerk for being so late."

You smiled softly, "I couldn't stop thinking about you either, you really don't have to keep worrying about it- I forgive you."

He breathed out a sigh of relief, "I know this may be too soon, but I'd really like to take you on a third date, and I know with my schedule it's kind of hard but I'd really like for this... us... to work out."

"Me too." You smiled as Dylan reached over and placed his hand over yours as it lay on the table.

You and Dylan spent hours sat outside of the cafe talking and laughing together as the sun began to set.

"Hey, do you wanna go for a walk?" Dylan asked as he glanced at the quiet beach.

"I'd love to." You nodded as he stood up and held his hand out for you, you took it and stood up.

You began walking hand in hand towards the sand, you took off your trainers and Dylan took off his shoes, you held his hand and with your other you held your shoes as you walked across the sand barefoot. The sound of the waves softly splashing against the sand was soothing as you walked along the beach.

After a while Dylan stopped and turned to you, "I have this overwhelming desire to kiss you right now." He blurted out.

You looked up at him as he leaned towards you, you closed the distance and kissed him. His soft lips moved against yours slowly, his hands wrapped around your back, pulling you closer to him. You dropped your shoes on the sand and wrapped your arms around his neck, running your fingers through his long brown hair.

He pulled away and rested his forehead against yours, "that was..." he struggled to find a word to describe such an amazing moment.

"I know." You smiled as his honey brown eyes flickered across your face.

"Can I drive you home?" He asked quietly.

"I'd love that." You nodded as he took hold of your hand, you grabbed your trainers before walking with Dylan back to his car before he drove you home.

"I look forward to our next date, Dylan," you said as you got out of his car, "next time, don't be late." You winked before walking away.

***

For anyone wondering if I've forgotten about their request, I haven't, don't worry they're all in my drafts - I'm working through them :)