a piece of heaven | thomas

(a bonus chapter to the previous 'thomas when' before this chapter)

From the moment your heart stopped beating, you felt your consciousness leave your body and suddenly you were aware of everything around you— yet no one could see or hear you.

You had to watch as Thomas wept over your body, and as your friends had to drag him away to the safety of the boat that would take them to paradise.

Following them, you sat besides Thomas, wanting so desperately to be able to comfort him, yet as you reached out for him your hand travelled straight through him.

"It won't work, we've already tried that." A voice said from behind you. As you turned around you were faced with two figures similar to yours, translucent apparitions of Newt and Teresa.

"W-wait... you both died?" You asked, shocked.

"Yeah." Teresa said sadly.

You remained quiet for a moment before finally speaking, "oh," You said sadly, you had no idea what else to say, "what made you both come here?"

Teresa and Newt glanced at each other, "Thomas." They both said at the same time.

"And the other gladers." Newt added.

"Me too," You sighed, glancing at Thomas before joining the other two, "so what do we do?"

Newt shrugged, "I think we just watch, there's nothing we can do."

A horn sounded making you jump slightly, the three of you rushed to the front of the boat following the others as they looked at the island in front of them— paradise.

The others and the gladers disembarked the ship in groups, yourself, Newt and Teresa followed the last group consisting of Thomas, Minho and Sonya.

Something Newt had never found out when he was alive was that he had a sister, you only found out moments before your death and you weren't sure how to tell him. Thomas knew too after finding out this information from WCKD but he'd been too focused on trying to save his friends life that he'd forgot to tell him.

You noticed Newt looking at Sonya as if he was trying to figure out something.

"Newt..." you said, drawing his attention to you.

"Yeah?"

"There's something you should know," You said, "whilst Thomas was in the WCKD headquarters, he found some files... and he found out that you have a sister."

His eyes widened at the information, "I do?"

You glanced at Sonya who was looking towards the island ahead of you, Newt watched your eyes trail towards her and let out an audible gasp as if he was remembering something.

"That's why I always thought she looked familiar." He said quietly.

"I'm sorry you found out too late." You replied.

"It's okay... thank you for telling me." Newt said, looking away for the rest of the journey.

When the small boat finally reached the shore, the gladers hopped out and practically worshipped the ground they'd landed on.

"Finally!" Minho exclaimed, glad they were finally safe.

Days and Nights passed as the three of you watched the gladers and others settle into their new home. All you could do was watch, you badly wanted Thomas to notice you were there, but nothing worked.

One day whilst you were watching Thomas chop some wood for the bonfire, Newt appeared besides you and sighed, muttering about how he was chopping the wood wrong.