want you back | dylan

"no matter where i go i'm always
gonna want you back."

You'd spent an amazing year dating famous actor Dylan O'Brien, it was perfect and you truly fell for him. But with fame came obstacles and problems. It became too much for you as fans started sending death threats and things became strained when Dylan was away filming for long periods of time, and although you knew he would never cheat on you there were too many articles that circulated the Internet whenever he was spotted with one of his co-stars that made you anxious.

Of course there were the happier moments, premieres, fans who adored you and the times you got to visit him on set before he'd take you back to his trailer for some time alone. But towards the end the negatives seemed to outweigh the positives, both of you agreeing to end your relationship mutually.

Five months later and only having contacted each other via text once or twice to congratulate him on new roles, both of you still thought of each other every single day.

You still had his twitter notifications on, yet you never liked or replied to them— you kept them on just to check he was okay.

One day a certain notification popped up on your phone whilst you were laying in bed watching a film on Netflix.

dylan o'brien tweeted:
i know you never think of me but i like to pretend you do.

You couldn't help but think it was about you, and then your notifications began to blow up with people tagging you in the tweet.

dylannuggets:
@y/n!!

cutiedylan:
@ ur ex next time

lgmbaby:
you and @y/n belong together

In that moment you decided to finally reply, hoping the tweet was about you.

y/n:
maybe i do.

You sent the tweet and locked your phone, not wanting to see the response you'd get.

Resuming your film, you forgot about the tweet and became absorbed in the world you were watching unfold in front of you until the doorbell of your apartment rang.

Pausing the film, you sighed and padded outside of your room and opened the front door.

Your heart nearly jumped from your chest as you opened the door, Dylan looked back at you with the same surprise since it was the first time you'd seen him in person since the break-up. He hadn't shaven for months, fans speculated that it was for a role but Shelley and Tyler told you different. They thought now that Dylan didn't have a film to keep him busy to not think about you, it finally hit him about the break-up and he'd stopped caring about his appearance.

"Dylan..." you said as if you were out of breath, "what are you doing here?"

He shook his head, as if he had no idea, "I just... I had to see you."

You nodded, opening your door wider, you didn't want to leave him standing outside in your hallway. He entered your apartment nervously, looking around at all of the familiar things you had -- pictures of you and your friends, and you'd even kept pictures of the two of you on your walls to remind you of the memories.

"You kept our pictures up?" He asked softly.

"Yeah." You replied.

He turned to face you, his soft, brown eyes looked extremely sad, "I'm sorry."

"For what?" You asked, taking a seat on the edge of your sofa.

"Everything... I'm sorry for messing everything up and not making more of an effort to quell the rumours from those articles and not seeing you whilst I was filming." He said.

You had no idea what to reply as he sat in front of you, running his hands through his hair nervously, "Now that I'm not distracted by filming... I've had a lot of time to think and I've realised I've made the biggest mistake of my life. Y/n I know I don't deserve it... but is there any chance you would ever forgive me? Because I want you back, I can't live without you."

"Dyl..." you took a deep breath, your head was spinning with possibilities of what to do. If you went back to him, you didn't know how his fans would react, and if you decided to send him home alone you knew neither of you would be happy. 

"I know I've just sprung this on you, but when you replied to my tweet I just had to know how you felt... about us." He said, looking down slightly as if he was afraid to hear your answer.

You reached out and rested your hand on his chin, making him look at you, "I still love you, Dylan. I don't think that will ever change... and not a day goes by that I don't think of you. I want to try again... but I want to keep it low-key, your fans got a bit too much last time."

His honey-brown eyes seemed to come back to life, "Anything you want, y/n. We can keep this private as long as you want, I just want you to be happy."

You smiled, "you know I never stopped loving you, right?"

He grinned, "I hoped you hadn't, because I never stopped either. I love you so much."

"I love you too, Dylan." You replied, pulling him closer as you pressed your lips against his, a lingering kiss that lasted mere moments before he pulled away.

"Can I take you out? Tonight?" He asked, his brown eyes looking hopeful.

"I'd like that." You nodded.

"But first I need to get rid of this..." He said as he stroked his scruffy beard.

You smirked, "maybe not just yet."

"Oh, you like it?" He asked, raising his eyebrows.

"Maybe." You laughed, kissing him again. 

***

i've had 5sos's album on repeat for the past two days so of course i had to write an imagine based on one of my faves. :)