the box | thomas

You had your hopes up when you heard the alarm sound in the glade, every time that alarm rang you hoped another girl would be coming up in the box. You were the only girl in the glade amongst way too many boys, of course you loved them all as they became family but you couldn't help but want another girl to be friends with.

Running over to the crowd of boys surrounding the box you heard murmurs of "it's a boy." And your heart sunk, you looked down and saw a brown haired boy with moles scattered over his face, you had to admit that he was kind of cute but you could never develop feelings for any of the boys. They'd see it as favouritism since they'd picked you to be their leader. But something about this boy was different, it sparked something inside of you that you couldn't quite describe.

You wandered away from the box and Minho followed you, "hey, y/n! Are we going to run the maze later despite the new greenie arriving?"

"Of course, nothing can disrupt out schedule, Minho." You instructed.

"Great!" Minho exclaimed before walking away and joining the others.

Meanwhile, Thomas was being introduced to everything by Chuck but he seemed distracted by something, "Chuck, who's the girl?"

"She's the leader here, she's pretty cool." Chuck noted as he saw Thomas staring at you as you laughed and joked with Newt.

He knew immediately he had to impress you somehow to get your attention so he looked to Chuck, "alright, how do I impress her?"

Chuck burst out laughing before regaining his composure, "oh, you're serious?"

"Yeh." Thomas nodded, glancing over at you again.

"Alright, um... come over here and chop this tree down with me." Chuck said as he walked over to a group of boys cutting down trees.

Thomas didn't know how this would impress you but he did it anyway.

"So, how does this impress her?" Thomas asked as he swung his axe at the base of one of the trees.

"Y/n loves when we actually work and not just mess around like them." Chuck gestured to a group of boys who were slacking off from working.

"Y/n..." Thomas muttered to himself as he finally found out what your name was.

You decided to finally introduce yourself to the new boy so you wondered over to where he was working, "hey, Thomas."

Thomas looked up at you, sweat dripping from his forehead, "hey." He said as he wiped his sleeve across his forehead.

"I'm y/n, it's nice to see you're actually working around here and helping out, it means a lot." You smiled.

He grinned, "happy to help."

Thomas noticed one of the other gladers running towards them and you turned around, "y/n, are we going or what?" Minho asked.

"Oh, I forgot! Yes of course!" You nodded, glancing back at Thomas, "hey, do you want to join?"

Chuck glanced between you and Thomas, Thomas looked at Chuck who nodded.

"I'd love to." Thomas said, not knowing what he was agreeing to do.

"Are you a fast runner?" Minho asked Thomas who was eyeing him suspiciously.

"I have no idea." Thomas said as he walked besides you to the maze entrance.

"Well, you better be." Minho laughed before going in first.

"Don't worry, I'll run with you this time so you don't get lost, but you look like someone who's pretty fast. Try and keep up." You said before running into the maze.

Thomas furrowed his eyebrows before quickly running after you, he finally caught up to you, "this isn't so bad." He yelled.

You laughed, "oh, it gets worse."

"Oh man." Thomas groaned, soon he was panting for breath and he stopped to catch his breath.

You turned around and saw that he'd stopped, "Thomas? Why are you stopping?"

"I need to catch my breath." He panted.

You frowned, looking around, "I guess we can stay here for a few minutes... but not long."

Thomas nodded, not questioning why they couldn't stay.

Since you were both alone he decided to ask you a question, "y/n?"

"Yeh?" You looked over at him and found him staring at you.

"Uh, so are you and Minho...?" He asked, trailing off. He thought you were dating Minho since you both seemed so close but you laughed it off.

"Me and Minho? No!" You shook your head, "why do you ask?"

"I don't know... I guess I was just fascinated by you since I first saw you when I came out of the box." He shrugged.

"Oh." You said quietly, not knowing how to respond.

"I know it's kinda weird, I mean we've only just met but I feel like there's something there... you know?" He asked.

"Me too, like we've met before?" You questioned, you'd felt it when you first saw him but you didn't know how to describe it until now.

"Exactly." He said, somehow he was right in front of you now and you could feel his breath tickle your face.

His lips brushed against yours gently before you closed the distance, kissing him. He pushed you against the maze wall as he kissed you, his hands wrapped around your waist.

You heard someone's feet pounding towards you and Minho interrupted you both as you jumped away from Thomas, "excuse me, lovebirds, but if you don't move you're going to be killed by a griever." He laughs before he runs out of the maze.

"Griever?" Thomas repeated curiously.

"I'll explain later." You said before taking hold of his hand as you ran out of the maze.

***

This was requested, hope it's okay!
Remember requests are always open so request them in the first chapter!