the night we met | stiles

"i had all and then most of you, some and then none of you,
take me back to the night we met."

it had been a year since your death, something stiles stilinski would never get over.

you were the love of his life, the one who gave him a reason to stay sane despite the craziness that surrounded beacon hills.

when he was sorting through a box of your old belongings that he'd kept in his room, that he'd never gotten around to looking through because it hurt too much, he found a polaroid picture of the two of you on the night you both met.

the high school dance.

it was something your parents forced you to go to despite your protests. you were the new kid in school and hadn't made any friends yet, but your family thought you should go and 'try to have fun'.

sitting on the bleachers in the school hall, watching other couples dance the night away, you spotted a boy your age who kept looking around somewhat nervously.

you stood up and headed towards him, his eyes caught yours as you got nearer to him.

his eyes widened at the sight of you, he'd never seen anyone as beautiful as you.

"hi." you smiled.

"h-hey." he stuttered, wondering why you were talking to him.

"get stood up, huh?" you asked.

"uh... no, i actually didn't have a date but i came as emotional support for my best friend who's currently over there," he pointed to a couple who were making out on the dance floor, "whilst i'm over here waiting until it's a suitable time to leave."

"oh." you nodded.

"did you come with anyone?" he asked.

"oh... no, i'm new at the school so i don't really know anyone. my parents thought it would be a great idea to meet friends." you said, rolling your eyes at the thought.

he smiled slightly, "well, consider me your first friend here, i'm stiles."

"it's nice to meet you, stiles. i'm y/n." you smiled back, you couldn't help but notice how cute the boy was with his spiky brown hair and hazel-brown eyes that you could melt in.

"so, y/n... would you like to dance?" he asked, holding out his hand.

"i would love that." you replied as you placed your small hand in his as he led you to dance floor.

he placed his hands around your waist, keeping at a safe distance as you wrapped your arms around his neck.

as you danced, you found yourself edging closer to him, eventually barely any space between you as you both swayed to the music.

"this is nice, stiles." you spoke softly into his ear as you rested your head on his shoulder.

"it is... we should do this more often." he replied, chuckling softly.

and for many high school dances after that, it was exactly what you did.

that night sparked the beginning of a beautiful relationship between you and stiles, but unfortunately you faced a tragic end at the hands of the dread doctors.

stiles had never forgiven himself for not being there to save you, but his friends always reassured him there was nothing he could do.

the only thing he could do was wish to go back to the night you met, so he could dance with you one last time.

***