i need you | dylan

'"I don't know why I stick around to watch you burn our bridges down,
I can't help it that I need you"

'"I don't know why I stick around to watch you burn our bridges down,I can't help it that I need you"

*

you turn your back to the boy you love as he yells across the apartment that you share in los angeles, "i do this for you, y/n!" his voice cracks as he runs his fingers through his hair anxiously.

"but you don't get it, dylan!" you shout back as you turn to face him, tears streaking down your cheeks, "i have to sit at home everyday alone, days, weeks, months on end because you're away working..."

dylan shakes his head, clenching his jaw in anger, "you don't think i miss you? every second of everyday i'm on set i miss you, but i do it because i know i can come home to you at the end of those long periods."

"we both know how this is going to end, dyl... it puts strain on both of us." you look at him with a pained expression, you loved this boy with all of your heart but you missed him and it was hurting both of you.

"y/n..." dylan pleaded.

you tried to blink back tears as you looked at the door leading out of the apartment, you walked over to it and grabbed the door handle, "i just need some time to think before i say anything i regret." you say as you turn the doorknob and leave, you took the stairs leading out onto the street and you walked through the revolving doors leading to the deserted street. looking up at the grey sky you saw water droplets start to fall as you hurried across the street, before you knew it the rain was pouring around you but there was nowhere you could go. your car keys were in the apartment and all you were wearing was a t-shirt and jeans, you shivered as the cold water touched your bare skin.

dylan watched you from the window of your apartment, hating himself for letting you walk out. he quickly grabbed one of his fur lined jackets and rushed out of the apartment and ran out onto the street where the rain soaked through his clothes. he made his way across the street and held out his jacket, "here." he wrapped it around you as you tried to ignore him.

"y/n... please... look at me." he kneeled on one knee on the wet pavement in front of you. you exhaled slowly, reluctantly turning to look at him as his honey, brown eyes gazed into yours.

"dylan..." you trailed off as he took hold of your hands with his.

"just listen to me," he looked up at you, "i know i've been an idiot, i spend way too much time away from you... but the truth is, i need you. i can't promise that there won't be times when i'm away working because it's my passion and i will never give it up... but i can promise that i will try and come home every chance i get because i love you, y/n." the rain was soaking his skin now as he spoke, you couldn't tell if he was crying or not due to the number of water droplets on his face but your heart sunk as he was looking at you.

"dylan, i-" you stopped talking and grabbed his face with your hands and smashed your lips against his, you pulled him towards you and ran your hands through his soaked hair, pulling away slowly you looked into his eyes, "i'm sorry for everything i said, i love you too, dylan. i love you too much to let you go, so i'm willing to try this again."

"good." he mumbled before attaching his lips to yours and kissing you in the pouring rain.

***
inspired by the song 'burning bridges' by bea miller :)