honey, i'm home | dylan

After a long day at work Dylan trudged up the stairs of his apartment building and slowly turned the key in his door, opening it and walking inside.

"Honey, I'm home!" Dylan called out automatically.

He received no response.

The past few months had been the same, he'd work long days and want to come home to the love of his live.

The only problem was that this love left him months ago. He married you when you were both only 20, for the first three years life was blissful, you were so in love that you didn't think life could get any better.

But it didn't, his long work days filming got in the way and the last two years had been enough for you.

Dylan had found the divorce papers in one of the kitchen drawers where you'd hidden them thinking he wouldn't find them.

You wanted to give the relationship one more chance before you gave them to him to sign, but once he found your signature already on the papers he signed them in anger.

"If this is what you want, here," he threw the papers down on the sofa next to you as you watched television, "I just wished you'd have talked to me before signing them."

"Dylan, I-" You started to say but he shook his head.

"No, y/n... you already explained it when you signed these papers. I don't need any explanation." He sighed, walking away from you.

After that confrontation it was hard to get him to speak to you, you moved out a few weeks after and the divorce was finalised.

Since then Dylan had been working on-stop, the same routine of coming home to an empty home.

Meanwhile you were staying with one of your friends until you found somewhere more permanent to live.

Dylan took off his jacket and put away his bag, heading straight for the sofa to watch the mets game he'd recorded.

Once the game finished he was switching through the channels and stumbled upon a romance film, he decided to watch it out of sheer boredom.

Halfway through he felt an emptiness inside of him as he remembered his relationship with you and how he thought it was like a romantic movie, except it didn't get a happy ending.

Now it was time to change that.

He got up and headed for his car outside, driving towards a flower shop.

Dylan knew exactly which bunch of flowers to get, he used to buy them all the time when you first started dating, then for some reason he stopped.

Purchasing the flowers he headed to the place you were staying, feeling extremely nervous.

The last thing you'd said to him was that you never wanted to see him again, but you both knew it was out of anger that you said that.

He hesitated before knocking, when he did he held his breath, waiting anxiously for someone to answer the door.

Your feet padded along the wooden floor as you headed for the door, you weren't expecting anyone - at least not who was on the other side.

"Dylan?" You asked softly, not quite believing that he was standing in front of you holding a bouquet of your favourite flowers.

He looked extremely tired and sad, but when he saw you his eyes lit up and his lips curved into their signature lopsided smile you loved.

"Y/n." He breathed out.

"What are you doing here?" You asked sadly, seeing him brought back memories you didn't want to remember.

He stared at you for a moment, composing himself, "I... I just missed you."

You bit your lip, holding back the words you could've said, but instead your reply was simple, "I miss you too."

"You do?" He asked, dumbfounded.

"Every second of every day, Dylan." You admitted, you were tired of lying to yourself. You missed him with every fibre of your being, you didn't want arguments, just him.

He let out a relieved sigh, "I came here to apologise for not fighting for us... the truth is that I didn't want to lose you but when I saw your signature on those papers I thought there was no point... but I can't bare to spend another moment of my life without the one I love, y/n, and if there's any chance at all -"

He didn't need to say anything else, you stepped forwards and onto your tiptoes, pressing your lips against his lightly.

With your bodies still touching you pulled away slightly, "I'm sorry, Dyl... I signed those papers but it was a moment of weakness, I shouldn't have done it. I'd really like it if we could try again."

You noticed his whiskey, brown eyes started to water as you talked, "I'd love nothing more, y/n... and I promise this time I won't spend all of my time working, I called this morning and asked if I could reduce my hours."

"You really did that?" It was hard to believe since he put so much time and effort into his work.

"Yes, really. Besides," he pointed to the puffy circles around his eyes, "I could really use some time to sleep more." He grinned.

"Are you sure that's all you want the time off for?" You asked, smiling.

"Not all of it, the rest of my time I want to spend with you..." he said as he wrapped his free hand around your waist.

"I know how we can use your time wisely." You teased, pulling him inside the apartment and closing the door behind him.

"Oh, really?" He raised his eyebrows, looking down at you.

"Really." You smirked, taking the flowers from him and placing them down before running back into his arms.

"I missed this." He said quietly, just holding you in his arms was more than what he'd imagined when he came over.

"Me too, Dylan." You replied as you rested your head on his chest.

***

how cute!