Chapter 1: Rebirth

Are we guided by fate, or is it all just chance?

Do we all have a destiny, or are we just meant to blindly stumble forward through the forest of life until we eventually drop dead?

Are our lives directed by some predetermined events, or is everything up to luck?

I, personally, like to believe in luck.

I'm a warrior. Or at least, I was a warrior.

But here's the thing: every battle I've fought that really meant something has yielded only one outcome for me: Defeat.

Sure, I've had my share of small wins here and there. Some more impressive than others, for sure.

But at the end of the day, a person wants to feel like they bring something of worth to the table.

So am I destined to lose, or do I just have really bad luck?

Or was all of that preparing me for something bigger?

I don't know. 

What I do know is that ever since I retired from fighting, I've wanted to have a second chance at life.

I swore to myself that I wouldn't repeat the mistakes of the past if I got another shot at... well, pretty much everything.

But I just never knew how to go through with that dream. At least, that's what I thought until the answer practically slapped me in the face.

Heh. Funny how life works sometimes.

You think that your means to achieving something is far off, when really the thing you need is under your very nose. 

My life really began to pick up the pace when I joined a quest to find seven wish-granting orbs.

Now, those orbs will restart my life.

I know I might fail again.

I know I might screw up everything.

I know this is selfish.

I know that this might even be considered an evil thing, although that's a bit extreme in my opinion.

I will fully admit that I'm not a pure-hearted person. Why would I want this if I was?

No, I wasn't a god-tier, amazing, A-list fighter that fell from grace. More like a B-list supporting fighter that fell from grace.

Oh, I'm just babbling now. 

OK, here's the deal: I'm tired of being mocked.

I'm tired of saying hello to last place over and over.

I'm tired of being disappointed, killed, manhandled... you get the gist. 

Anyway, on the bright side, if this does work, then I can finally be happy.

I can die (permanently) an old, grateful man.

Whoa, now that is long-term thinking.

I've already gathered the Dragon Balls. I just hope that Shenron can grant my wishes. 

Might as well give it a shot. 

I've got nothing left to lose.

So, Shenron! Please come forth and grant my wishes!

The Dragon Balls glowed, and suddenly, a massive, green, red-eyed dragon with a tan underbelly appeared and stared down at Yamcha, who looked up at him and grinned. "Alright!"
Shenron spoke: "You who have gathered the seven Dragon Balls... state your wishes."
Yamcha held up one finger. "First off: I wish to be sent back in time to when I was 16 years old. Second: I wish for humans to have the same recovery ability as Saiyans. Third: I wish to keep all memories of this timeline."
Shenron's eyes glowed. "Very well. Your wishes have been granted. Farewell."
Suddenly, a white light surrounded Yamcha, and the world around him disappeared.

Yamcha's eyes shot open immediately. He was in the Mushroom Forest. He sat up and looked around, observing the place quietly so as to not wake up Bulma, Goku, Puar, and Oolong.
Wait...
Bulma, Goku, Puar, and Oolong? Yamcha thought. His expression brightened. D-did it work?!
He groped his face, searching for his old scars. They weren't there. Yamcha stood up and pumped both of his fists. "YES! It worked!"
"W-what worked?" someone else asked.
Yamcha looked down to see his lifelong best friend Puar staring up at him, confused. Yamcha laughed, partly from joy, partly from being nervous. "Oh, um, cutting off Goku's tail! That worked. And by the way, Puar, you were amazing out there!"
Puar beamed. "Thank you, Yamcha!"
Yamcha grinned down at his old friend, briefly studied the old bandit clothes he had on, then turned towards the others. 

He walked over to Bulma and looked down at her, his expression a thoughtful one. Whoa... Bulma looks so young.
Then, Yamcha realized that that was because she was young- thanks to his traveling back through time. Yamcha frowned a little. I've gotta remember that.
Bulma snorted and opened one eye, looking up. "H-huh?" Yamcha sat down next to her. "Morning."
Bulma smiled at him. "Good morning." Yamcha felt himself blushing. "So, um, are you feeling OK from last night?" Bulma nodded, fluttering her eyelids. "Yeah, thanks to you." She placed her hand on his shoulder, and Yamcha grinned. Just then, Goku woke up. 

(A Little While Later)

Goku was getting ready to leave for Master Roshi's island on the Flying Nimbus when Yamcha remembered something- This is where I screwed up first.
He walked up to Goku and tapped him on the shoulder. "Uh, Goku?"
Goku turned around. "Yeah?"
"Can I come with you?"
Goku nodded. "Oh! Sure, Yamcha."
Bulma ran up to Yamcha. "Yamcha? You're going with Goku to that old man's island?"
Yamcha held both her hands and hung his head. "Bulma, I'm really sorry, but... I want to get stronger. I- I have to. But I swear, I'll call you as much as possible!"
Bulma raised an eyebrow, pausing, until finally she sighed and shook her head. "OK, OK. You did save my life, after all."
Yamcha's expression brightened. "T-thank you! Thank you so much!" And then, off Goku and Yamcha went.