Chapter 56: A Baseball Game To Rule Them All (Part 1)

(A Few Months After The Events Of Chapter 55)

Beerus's brother, Champa, the God Of Destruction from Universe 6, had apparently challenged Beerus to a baseball game. And baseball was Yamcha's job. He was also a pro at it. Yamcha set down the phone after agreeing to join up and turned towards Marorizu, Pine and Puar, all of whom had been listening as he had talked. "So, when do we leave?" Marorizu asked. "Tomorrow morning." Yamcha replied.

(The Next Day)

On either square on both sides of the home plate, Whis and his sister Vados, who was Champa's angel attendant, just like Whis was the angel attendant to Beerus, landed with their umpire uniforms on. "It's a wonderful day for a game." Whis said. "I couldn't agree more." Vados said. Over at Universe 7's bench, Beerus sat with everyone who had came to the game and joined Universe 7's team (Goku, Piccolo, Krillin, Gohan, Trunks, and of course Yamcha) standing in front of him in a semicircle. Vegeta and Goten were filling in as teammates for Universe 6's team, to make things even. "Alright, to make the numbers even, I'll be serving as what they call the manager. My not playing gives the other team a massive handicap, but that's no excuse! I don't care if this is a friendly game, you will win! Understood?" Beerus said. "You bet!" Yamcha and Goku both said at the same time. Trunks looked a little surprised at Yamcha's excitement. Yamcha folded his arms and smiled. "Relax, guys, with me as the team captain, you've got nothing to worry about." "Hey, Yamcha, where are Tien and Chiaotzu? You did tell them about this, didn't you?" Krillin asked. Yamcha smiled down at his old friend. "Actually, no. I figured they wouldn't want to join us. Besides, a sport this intense might be too dangerous for them." Krillin laughed along with Yamcha as the former realized why the latter really hadn't recruited Tien and Chiaotzu- to get back at Tien for the whole business with Frieza's army a few months ago.

Whis held up one arm. "Alright, you sporting gentlemen, can we have both teams line up at home plate?" Both teams obliged, and everyone stared each other down. After some kind-of-friendly banter, Whis spoke again: "Now that we've dispensed with the obligatory bravado, let the goodwill game between Universes 6 and 7 begin. Goodwill being the operative word, meaning that all acts of destruction are hereby strictly forbidden." "Let's have a friendly game with good sportsmanship, so no broken bones or planets, please." Vados added. "Now let's all bow and say 'good game'." Whis ordered. Everyone on either team obliged, though they all said "good game" in a rather dry voice- except Yamcha. He was too excited. He began running out onto the field. "OK, guys, let's go! I'll lead the way! Woo!" He looked back at his unmoving fellow players and motioned with his hand. "Come on! Let's see some pep in your step!" Goku smiled. "Wow, I haven't seen Yamcha this fired up in a long time."

"Are you sure about Yamcha being the captain of the team?" 18 asked Puar. "Absolutely!" Puar replied. Marorizu smirked. "Of course, we have nothing to worry about, 18. My husband might not be the strongest fighter out of all of us, but he can play ball like it's nobody's business!" Yamcha held up a finger towards Piccolo. "Right! OK, Piccolo, just aim at my chest, and try not to add any spin!" Piccolo did so, and Yamcha effortlessly caught the ball, a large, excited smile still on his face. "Yeah, that's it! Nice throw!" As Goku got ready to go onto the pitcher's mound, Gohan walked up. "Hey, Dad." "I don't care what kind of fight they call this, I'm always pumped to put my skills to the test!" "Yeah, I know." "So what are the rules to this baseball thing, anyway?" Gohan laughed nervously. "I'm not really sure. For now, just throw the ball into this leather glove I have, and we'll learn from there." Goku nodded confidently. "Alright, Gohan. Leave it to me!" Champa stepped up to bat, then began doing a bunch of goofy stuff as if he was getting ready to bat, which he probably was. Beerus eventually got fed up and shouted to Goku, who was currently the pitcher: "Goku! I don't care if he is a God Of Destruction, you can not let my brother hit one off you! Throw that ball at maximum power!" "Maximum? Are you sure?" "Do I look unsure?" Beerus replied. Goku nodded. "Alright, Beerus, you're the boss." He turned towards Champa and went Super Saiyan Blue. "HRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

Champa gritted his teeth. "Hah! You don't scare me!" Yamcha held up his hands. "H-hey! Hold on just a sec!" Ignoring his friend due to being too caught up in pitching, Goku stepped forward and got ready to throw, shouting: "Haaaaaah...!" Then, he chucked the ball forward. "HIYAAAAAAAAAAH!" The ball shot forward and became a yellow blur of light being trailed by a fiery blue stream of energy. It rocketed towards Gohan, who was the catcher, and who also had a shocked expression on his face. "Whoa, Dad! E-easy!" What followed was an explosion that could probably have been seen from space. When the dust cleared, the entire portion of the field that was behind home base was completely destroyed. Some of the rubble moved, and Gohan stood up out of it. "Ah ha ha... whoops. Guess I still need to practice raising my guard, I almost got vaporized! Let's give it another shot, eh?" Champa looked at Gohan with a hint of grudging respect in his eyes. "Hmph. You must be tougher than you look, Earth boy." Everyone looked shocked. "I've heard of a breaking ball, but that ball broke apart." said Cabba, a young Saiyan from Universe 6 who considered Vegeta his mentor. "And that is strike one!" Whis called. From a few bushes, Yamcha's legs twitched as he tried to free himself. "Ow! Ow, ow... I'm all for getting hyped up for a game, but dammit, Goku's going way too far!" After trying a little longer to free himself and getting nowhere, he yelled "Hey! Can I get a little help here?" "I'm coming, Yamcha!" Krillin replied as he flew over and helped his buddy out of the bushes.

After the angels repaired the wrecked field, Whis warned Goku not to destroy the field again and Beerus told Goku to throw the ball lightly this time, Goku prepared to throw his second pitch. He did so, but this time it was so slow that the spectators (Bulma, Chi-Chi, Gohan's wife and daughter Videl and Pan, Android 18 and Marron, and Marorizu, Pine and Puar) all fell asleep. Yamcha resisted the urge to grab his hair and start tugging it. "Come on..." he hissed, "Come on!" Eventually, the ball reached Champa, who's eyes looked like they were about to pop out of his head. He swung the bat forward, shrieking "IT'S TOO DAMN SLOW!!" He hit the ball and it launched off into space. "Aw, man... He definitely hit that one." Goku remarked. "Don't worry about it, Dad, it's a foul!" Gohan called. "How's it foul? Does it smell bad?" Goku asked. "That means it's strike two!" Whis explained. "What? That's dumb!" Goku said. "Goku! Throw it harder this time and strike him out!" Beerus called. Goku looked hopelessly confused. "What? This time harder? I feel like I'm getting some mixed signals here."

Goku got ready for a third try and looked down at the ball in his hand. He seemed to be thinking as hard as he could. "OK. I'll split the difference and throw it just right." He managed to throw a good toss, but Champa hit what seemed to be a home run. "Awwwww!" Goku exclaimed. Champa began casually jogging to first base. "No doubt about it! A massive home run! Champa is the champ! Ha ha ha!" "I got it!" Trunks yelled, running forward and shooting the ball with an energy blast. It landed right in his glove and the young Saiyan-Earthling hybrid began doing a little victory dance. "Yeah! That's some explosive defense! I'm a baseball natural!" Luckily for team Universe 7, using energy blasts wasn't against the rules according to the rulebook. "I'm not really sure what happened with that, but apparently it was good?" Goku wondered aloud. Yamcha suddenly walked up to the Saiyan, then pointed at himself with his thumb. "Technically. But if Trunks hadn't stepped in, that would've been a home run. So why don't you let me handle the pitching from here?" Yamcha smirked confidently. "Let the Yamcha show you what it's like to dominate on the mound."