Chapter 12: A Costly Victory

While the Z Fighters had the advantage of numbers, things quickly began to go south. The first one to fall was Chiaotzu. Vegeta set his attention on Tien and was about to attack when suddenly Chiaotzu nailed his eye with a Dodon Ray. Vegeta clutched his eye and roared. "You pest!" He fired an energy wave from his mouth, and Chiaotzu simply wasn't quick enough. All that remained of the telekinetic fighter was dust and a hat. 

"CHIAOTZU!!!" Tien screeched. His eyes went wide with rage, and he formed a triangle with his hands- only for Vegeta to whirl around and try to whack Tien. Tien tried to dodge, but he was a little slow- and his arm was torn off. Tien screamed in anger and pain, then made a makeshift circle towards Vegeta. He began to overload on energy, and he clenched his teeth, sweating. "Alright, Chiaotzu! This one's for you! And this three-eyed cowboy is going for ONE LAST RIDE!!" Finally, Tien finished charging up energy, and he fired. Vegeta looked down, and Tien's one-handed Tri-Beam scored a solid hit. But once everyone stopped seeing spots, they were in for an unpleasant sight- Vegeta was relatively unharmed, and Tien collapsed. Yamcha grimaced. "Tien, no!" But Tien had already stopped breathing. There was a peaceful smile on his face. 

Next, Piccolo payed the piper. Vegeta was about to grab Gohan when suddenly Piccolo jumped in the way. Vegeta grabbed Piccolo and looked at him. "Eh, not the one I wanted to crush." Vegeta suddenly squeezed Piccolo, and the Namekian cried out in pain. Then, Vegeta threw him away like an old toy. Gohan raced over, and Piccolo seemed to say something to him. Then, the Namekian closed his eyes. Gohan cried in anger, but he wasn't paying attention to his surroundings. Vegeta was about to step on him when finally Yamcha recovered enough. He shot forward like a bullet and tackled Gohan out of the way. "Listen, kid, I get that you're sad about Piccolo. But his sacrifice won't mean anything if you die!" Gohan nodded. "R-right." Krillin was about to get attacked when suddenly Vegeta froze- and his tail fell to the ground. Yajirobe quickly landed on the ground and scuttled away, sheathing his sword. Vegeta began to revert back to normal, shouting "D-dammit... m-my tail!" He finally finished reverting, and then fell to the ground. 

Suddenly, Goku arrived, panting but grinning. "Yamcha, it's ready-" Suddenly, he noticed Tien and Piccolo's bodies and Chiaotzu's hat, and his expression became grim. "Tien... Chiaotzu... Piccolo..." He was so distracted that he didn't notice Vegeta fire an energy wave at him until it was too late. Goku was sent flying, and he hit a rock pillar, then fell towards the ground. Yamcha managed to set him on the ground. "Goku, why-" Yamcha's old friend grinned weakly. "U-used Kaio-ken times 4 to get here... Oops..." Yamcha quickly called Krillin over and explained the situation, and Krillin agreed to try and throw the Spirit Bomb. He began to re-gather the Spirit Bomb's energy. 

Yamcha turned and went to help Gohan as fast as he could. He found Gohan facing Vegeta, and the son of Goku looked ready to pass out. Yamcha limped in front of him and turned to stare Vegeta down. He glanced at Gohan. "Get some rest, kid. I'll cut in." Gohan opened his mouth to reply, but he had already begun to fall over. He managed to croak "Rest? Yeah, I can... do... that..." Yamcha turned to Vegeta. "Looks like it's just down to you and me again." Vegeta clenched his teeth. "I will kill you all!" They began to fight. 

At first, Yamcha was worried that his and Vegeta's strength gap would be the same, because his body was in no condition to use even the basic Kaio-ken. But that wasn't the case- Gohan had actually done a fairly good job, landing some solid blows, and Vegeta's previous injuries were catching up to him. After going back and forth evenly for some time, Yamcha saw his chance. Vegeta threw a punch, and Yamcha stepped to the side, letting him stumble past. Then, Yamcha held Vegeta in a Full-Nelson. He looked at Krillin and shouted "Throw the damn thing already!" Krillin's eyes widened. "You're in the way, Yamcha! If I-" "THROW IT!" Yamcha screamed. Krillin gulped, then hurled the Spirit Bomb. 

You want to know what getting hit by the Spirit Bomb felt like? Jeez, someone likes to hear about me going through agonizing pain or struggling with something, huh? Ah, whatever. Anyway, here's the rundown: I held Vegeta in a Full-Nelson, and then screamed at Krillin to throw the Spirit Bomb. He obliged. I watched it get closer. My life flashed before my eyes. The bomb hit Vegeta, and he rose into the air along with it, as lightning crackled around everywhere. Some bolts hit me. Then the Spirit Bomb exploded in my face. It hurt. A lot. There you go.

Yamcha was sent flying backwards into a rock, and he fell to the ground on his stomach, which wasn't exactly good, since his ribs were busted. Yamcha hit the dirt and shouted in pain, but he managed to raise his head. The Spirit Bomb dissipated, and Vegeta fell to the ground, groaning. He pulled out a gray remote with a red button on it, then pressed the button. Suddenly, his Attack Ball arrived, and Vegeta began to limp towards it when suddenly Yajirobe sliced his back. "Not so fast!" Vegeta cried out, then whirled around, glaring at Yajirobe, who began to back up in fear. "Uh, h-hey, wait!" Vegeta thrashed Yajirobe, but quickly ran out of energy. He threw Yajirobe into a boulder, then turned and promptly collapsed. He managed to start crawling towards the Attack Ball. Krillin began to limp after him, grabbing Yajirobe's katana. Krillin eventually reached the Attack Ball, then raised the sword to stab Vegeta.