Chapter 37: The Intergalactic Tournament

Yamcha headed over to the Intergalactic Tournament, when suddenly he realized something: This never happened in the old timeline. Well, whatever. It's just a martial arts tournament, right? Same old, same old. What could go wrong? Little did he know that he was about to find out exactly what could go wrong. 

"You made it!" Krillin exclaimed as Yamcha landed on the ground. Yamcha scoffed. "You don't have to sound so surprised, Krillin. Of course I'd attend the tournament." Krillin laughed. "Ah, sorry. Heh heh." Yamcha turned to Marorizu. "Where's Vegeta?" Marorizu frowned. "He's apparently given up fighting ever since Kakarot... you know." Everyone nodded. Goku leaving to Otherworld was still a bit of a sore subject, especially for Gohan and Vegeta. Yamcha spread his hands. "Well, anyway, how about we just enjoy this tournament, huh? Besides, it'll be good to fight each other as training!" The others agreed. 

Yamcha fought his way without any trouble whatsoever through the preliminaries, then looked at the coming matches for the quarterfinals. He grinned. "Oh. I'm gonna be fighting Trunks, huh? That should be interesting." 

Yamcha stepped onto the fighting stage, and the announcer spoke. "Ladies and gentlemen, if you've heard of the World Martial Arts Tournament, you know who this is. Please welcome Yamcha!" Yamcha held up a fist, and the crowd cheered. Trunks glanced around, then looked at Yamcha and smirked. "Looks like you're pretty popular, huh?" Yamcha shrugged. "Hey, Trunks. What say we give these people a good show?" Trunks nodded, and they took their fighting stances. 

Yamcha charged, throwing a punch, and Trunks leaped out of the way. They fought physically for a while, landing punches and kicks, until finally Yamcha landed a kick to Trunks's jaw and sent him tumbling upwards through the air. Trunks quickly regained his balance and spread his arms, tilting his hands backwards as he spread them as well. His hair stood up and turned yellow, and his Super Saiyan aura shot outwards. Trunks shouted as he transformed, and Yamcha watched, smiling confidently. "Nice fireworks, man! But let's see you keep up with this!" Suddenly, a red aura surrounded Yamcha- the Kaio-ken. It became more and more intense, until finally Yamcha shot upwards. Trunks flew downwards to meet him, and they both began to fight to their best ability. Finally, the two warriors jumped back, and Yamcha fired a Kamehameha. Trunks countered with a Masenko. The two blasts collided in midair and exploded, sending them both back a little. Yamcha landed on the ground, and Trunks did the same. 

Yamcha smirked as he took a fighting stance, but Trunks seemed confused. "You once told me that the Kaio-ken lasts for just a few moments. How has it lasted this long?" Yamcha grinned at the corner of his mouth. "I may have added a few tweaks here and there to the original technique." Trunks's eyes widened. "You figured out a way to prolong it?" He smiled as he took his fighting stance once more. "You never cease to surprise me, Yamcha." Then, they both charged again.

After clashing again for a while, Trunks threw a punch, and Yamcha vanished. Trunks whirled around, but no one was there. Trunks turned back around, but Yamcha wasn't there, either. "Where did he-" "Up here!" Trunks whirled around, looking upwards, and Yamcha fired an energy blast down at the arena, creating a huge explosion. When the dust cleared, Trunks stood, looking rattled, and Yamcha charged downwards. Trunks shook off his surprise and rushed upwards. They slammed elbows, then both bounced back, regained their balance, and charged at each other. They both threw a punch, and their fists collided, and suddenly a small explosion occurred, sending both fighters flying into the water. After they resurfaced, the announcer spoke. "Well, looks like we have a tie on our hands! But because of the amazing performance they just put on for us, Yamcha and Trunks will both advance to the next round!" The crowd roared with approval, and Yamcha and Trunks grinned at each other. Yamcha spoke. "Well... that was surprising." Trunks nodded. "It sure was."