Chapter 47: Farewell, Proud Warrior

(A Few Minutes After Chapter 46's Events)

Majin Buu, the incarnation of evil, was free. He had made short work of an older Gohan, and it seemed like the son of Goku had been killed. Now, Yamcha watched in horror as Vegeta took a beating that made the one he had taken from Cell look like a playground brawl between two kids. Majin Buu manhandled the Saiyan prince until finally Yamcha couldn't stand it. "Aaaarrrgh!" He rushed forward, mentally triggering the Kaio-ken times 20, and kicked Buu in the face, sending him flying. "I thought I told you to stay back, Earthling!" Vegeta said. Yamcha nodded. "I know, but I couldn't stand to see you get beaten around like that. Thought I'd lend a hand." Vegeta scowled. "Hmph." 

Buu was back. Yamcha turned, his teeth clenched, and Vegeta balled his fists tightly. "What is this? He's not just strong... He's immortal! This is a joke... Dammit..." He walked to Yamcha's side and glanced at him. "You. Earthling... No, Yamcha. You have allowed me to fight Kakarot without reservation. For that, I owe you my thanks. Take care of Marorizu, Pine, Trunks and Bulma for me." Yamcha glanced at him, confused- partly because Vegeta had actually called him by name, partly because Vegeta had never spoken like this before. "Vegeta, what-" Vegeta punched him in the stomach so hard that he saw stars. Yamcha fell to the ground, and he managed to mutter "V-Vegeta... Don't..." Vegeta looked down at him and smirked, though there was a sad look in his eyes. "I suppose you were right after all, Earthling. My pride was the end of me." Then, Vegeta faced Majin Buu as Yamcha's vision tunneled. His last thought before blacking out was: Bulma's going to kill me.

Vegeta walked forward until he was a few feet away from Buu and certain that Yamcha was out of the blast radius. Majin Buu looked at Yamcha's unconscious body, seeming momentarily confused. Then, he looked at Vegeta. "Why you hurt your friend?" Vegeta scoffed. "I merely took a precaution, creature. I told you before: I'll deal with you myself! I hope you enjoyed your few minutes of freedom, you buffoon, because I'm going to send you straight to Hell!" But even as Vegeta made that declaration, he wasn't sure how to do it. This thing was too powerful for him to beat by conventional means. Suddenly, Vegeta got an idea. By conventional means... The Saiyan Prince smirked. Vegeta could feel dust rising around him as the fat, pink monster bumbled towards him. "I think I finally know how to be rid of you now." Buu stopped and looked at Vegeta. "Hm?" Vegeta grinned. "Your little regeneration trick won't work... if I shred you to atoms!" Vegeta's aura flared outwards, and dust began to rise up around him. Buu giggled. "You be tasty! I make you chocolate. Or maybe turn you into cracker and cheese!" Vegeta laughed. "You are a fool. I am going to crush you, and throw you into the wind!" 

Sparkles seemed to be floating through the air, and Vegeta grinned as he looked towards the sky. Buu's eyes widened until they could actually be seen, and he stepped back. Vegeta could feel something warm in his chest. Something he wasn't familiar with. Something he hadn't felt since he was a child, excluding his sister. Trunks... Pine... Marorizu... Bulma... I do this for you. Perhaps, just perhaps, for you too, Yamcha. And yes, even you... Kakarot.  And as dust and a yellow aura shot up around him, and as his heart seemed to beat with new purpose, Vegeta let his energy flood out into the world with one horrible scream. The explosion turned the entire sky golden-yellow.

Goku woke up, and he immediately felt a huge sense of dread- Vegeta and Gohan's energy signals had both disappeared. He looked down at the bottom of the giant crater in front of him, and his eyes widened. "Vegeta!" He ran down and bent over next to Vegeta's body, which was now solid stone, when he realized that he had forgotten about someone. "Yamcha! Oh, jeez, Marorizu's gonna murder me!" He ran back up the crater and found Yamcha on the floor, unconscious but alive. Goku sighed in both sadness and relief. He looked at the sky. "Vegeta... Gohan, my son... Please forgive me." Tears welled in Goku's eyes as he pondered over Vegeta and Gohan, and all his memories of both.