Chapter 35: Fight Against Fate

"Piccolo's going..." Tien clenched his fists. "That's it! I'm going too!" Yamcha looked up at his friend and smiled. "A warrior must die in the arena, huh?" Tien nodded. "Even if it's certain death, I'd rather die trying." Yamcha closed his eyes and stood up. "I'm going with you." Marorizu powered up into a Super Saiyan and nodded. "Count me in." Yamcha nodded, and Krillin said "Hey, don't forget about me!" The four of them blasted off.

They all landed alongside Piccolo and charged up energy attacks. Then, they fired. The blasts hit Cell, but they didn't seem to do anything. They distracted Cell, though. He looked back in surprise. "What the- Hmph! So, you all want to die first, do you? Well, all you had to do was ask!" He shouted, and his energy almost sent them flying. But they managed to stay on their feet and continued to persist, until Cell released his energy again and sent them flying backwards. He redirected his focus towards Gohan, but Yamcha wasn't about to let the bio-android win. He ignored the stress of his own body and stood up, firing a Kamehameha. Marorizu stood up alongside him and fired a Galick Gun. Tien, Krillin, and Piccolo all stood up as well, firing their own attacks. Cell glanced back at them again. "Grrr... Stay down already!" He released his energy, and Tien gritted his teeth. "N-not... like this!" Cell released his energy outwards another time, and Tien and Yamcha went flying backwards. Marorizu tried to resist, but she was eventually sent flying and landed next to Yamcha. Krillin stepped in front of them and fired his Scattering Bullet attack, while Piccolo stepped in front of Tien and fired his Masenko. 

Marorizu struggled to her feet and fired a Galick Gun once again, and Yamcha followed suite- he wobbled to his feet and raised his arms out of sheer willpower, then fired another Kamehameha at Cell. Tien also stood up and fired a Tri-Beam at Cell. Yamcha shouted in effort, the blue flash of the Kamehameha reflecting off his face and from his eyes. Goku... Ever since the day I met you, I've been trying and trying to surpass you. Once I found out about Super Saiyans, I tried to at least keep up. But you kept getting stronger, and I was left behind so much that I couldn't even hope to stay even with you. And now you're gone. You sacrificed yourself to save the world. And I... I had a chance. I could've saved you. I know it! And what did I do? I just stood there and watched as you gave up your life to save the entire planet again! I could never be the hero you are, not in a thousand lifetimes... But I... I swear that I won't let your son die like I did with you! 

Yamcha gritted his teeth. "D-dammit! Gohan, don't give up!" He powered up as far as he could go,  but he still couldn't touch Cell. The others also seemed to be thinking about their experiences with Goku, and they also powered up their attacks. And this time, Cell flinched. He looked back in anger. "You pests! It's hopeless to resist me, just give it up already!" He yelled, and his energy sent everyone flying away. Yamcha tumbled across the ground, then looked up. He watched as Cell began to overwhelm Gohan. N-no... I won't... let Gohan die! Not here! Not like... like this! Yamcha clenched his teeth and squeezed his eyes shut, then began to get up again. 

Yamcha fired a third Kamehameha, with thoughts and memories of Goku playing through his head. Man... I never realized just how much you changed me, Goku. I'm proud to be your friend. I know you're in Otherworld now, but... Yamcha searched for Goku's mind. He couldn't find it, but he decided to finish his thought, though it wouldn't be heard by anyone. Goku... I've always longed to surpass you in strength. It wasn't possible in my first life, and while it probably isn't even now, I tried. Thanks for that. For giving me a goal like that. And while I'll probably never surpass you, even though I'll probably never become a true hero like you, I'm still proud to have fought alongside you. And... I guess it's about time I just admitted the truth already. Yamcha took a deep breath, then powered up his Kamehameha. You're... you're better than me, Goku. You really are number one! 

Cell shouted one last time, and even though Yamcha tried his very, very best to resist Cell's power, he simply couldn't. Yamcha tumbled across the ground a second time, then managed to look up with Krillin lying next to him. He clenched his teeth. "Goku... I'm sorry. We tried to be heroes like you, but..." He squeezed his eyes shut and looked towards the ground, clenching his fist. Krillin finished the thought: "But it just... wasn't... enough..." Yamcha was about to accept the situation when a blue orb of energy shot down from the sky and hit Cell, actually affecting him. Vegeta had intervened. 

Cell looked up. "What the- Vegeta!" The Saiyan prince seemed tired, and for good reason- he was in his Super Saiyan Third Grade form. Yamcha looked towards Gohan, and he could almost swear that he saw Goku standing alongside his son as a Super Saiyan. Yamcha also thought that he saw Goku yell "NOW'S YOUR CHANCE!" Gohan gritted his teeth, then screamed as he gave one final push. Cell looked back towards Gohan, but he was way too late, and after the dust cleared, Cell's energy signal had completely vanished. 

Yamcha outright collapsed. Every muscle in his body ached. But at the same time, he grinned at the sky as the sun began to shine again.