The Monsters

The Monsters

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You are 16. Hiccup is 18.

**************************

Having just returned to Dragons Edge from another terrific adventure, you dreaded the words that was surely to come from Hiccup's mouth.

"Alright, everyone, good job today. Get a good night's rest, we start training right after lunch tomorrow. Okay? Okay. See you then." By the end of his one sided conversation, he was only talking to you.

You waved your goodbye, too shy to actually say something to your crush. Honestly, the thought of talking to him again frightened you. Almost everything frightened you, though. Everything except Toothless, (D/N), flying, and doing tricks with (D/N). You were extremely skittish (AN: I think that's how you spell it) and even Fishlegs would tease you about it. It also didn't help that you were the youngest of the group. Everyone else was seventeen or eighteen while you were the scared little sixteen year old.

It wasn't your fault you grew up with an evil big brother who told you scary stories no matter how much you cried and begged him to stop. The stories got to you after a while, and the fear and images they brought never went away.

"Goodnight, (N/N)," Hiccup smiled softly. "Sleep well."

With a blush and a shy smile, you nodded, ducking your head to hide your blush.

You jumped at the faint sound of thunder in the distance. Great. You weren't going to receive any sleep tonight. Either that or you'd cry yourself to sleep. Both ways, however, left you exhausted the following morning.

"Hey hey, it's just a little thunder," Hiccup tried to soothe, resting a hand gently on your shoulder. The sudden contact made you jump, but then you tried to force yourself to relax. It didn't work well. "Why are you so scared all of the time, (N/N)?"

The images of your brother's horror stories filled your head. You slouched to make yourself smaller, but Hiccup just placed his other hand on your shoulder.

"I'm not gonna hurt you, (N/N). Calm down. You're fine. You're safe."

"I'm f- f- fine. T- t- thank y- you," you stuttered, making your way to (D/N).

"You're welcome," he replied out of habit. "See you tomorrow."

Instead of answering, you nodded before flying off.

***************

Having done a quick lap around the island, you returned home soon before the thunderstorm hit.

You went to write in your journal, but couldn't find it. You must've left it at the dragon stables. Oh well, you could write in it later.

You prepared for bed right as the first booming clap of thunder made its appearance. You let out a cry as tears swelled up in your eyes. You jumped, rushing to cover your ears, after the second clap of thunder hit your tender eardrums.

You lowered your hands after the sound faded, waiting for the next clasp of thunder to give you a scare. You hated thunderstorms. They scared you so, obviously.

You crawled into bed before the third boom sent you into a sobbing mess. The thunder quickly became a frequent guest that gave everything in the room a darker shade. You almost always have at least one candle flickering. Tonight, you had twenty throughout the room, but it still wasn't enough light. Between the dancing shadows, shaking house, and deafening thunder, you were a sobbing mess.

A hard pound against your door made you cautiously grab a candle and walk downstairs. You walked to the door and set the candle down at the small table next to it. You jumped at every shadow, waiting for a monster to jump out or break down the door to steal you away and eat you alive. Waiting. Waiting.