Fifty Eight

We walk out of the restaurant with Harry's arms hanging off my shoulder. The food was so good and it was just great to get out and do something for once. Harry and I managed to sit through a whole two hours without arguing which was nice. I know we got into a bit of a banter but it was harmless and casual. I have to wrap my head around the fact that he and I are literal opposites. We are always going to disagree over certain beliefs- such as Christmas.

I know he had a hard past, he really doesn't get into much detail about it because he's Harry but from what tiny info he's told me is enough to prove that he wasn't a loved child. He never got to experience things like Christmas and birthdays, so I can't get angry at him for being so cold about certain things.

"Thank you for dinner." I look up next to him and smile.

"It was nice, yeah?" He looks down and asks while we walk down the dark street that's dimly lit from the thousand light bulbs in the so called 'sky'. I nod in agreement while linking my feet across the dirt and looking up at the tall rocky ceilings.

"You know-" I begin. "As much as this underground scenery is creative and gorgeous, I do miss the stars." I whisper while keeping my eyes up to everything above me.

"I know what you mean. When I was ten, I was living in a foster home. At night I would crawl out my bedroom window and to the vines that littered up the side of the house. I'd quietly climb up to the roof and lay looking at the stars until I fell asleep. I remember the old shingles staples to the roofs being so rough and uncomfortable but I didn't care." He confessed while looking up at the hanging lightbulbs.

I look up at Harry as he looks up at the sky, letting his thoughts spill out to me. A small smile creeps up my lips as I keep my eyes glued to his tranquil state.

"Why would you go through all that trouble to lay on the uncomfortable roof?" I ask as we keep walking down the quiet street.

"I really don't know, I think I just needed an escape. I was quite a burden to that group home- the one that caused all the trouble. I probably got strapped every other day for something I did but once I sat on that roof I felt invincible, like no one could touch me." He murmurs.

My heart slowly breaks by his calm words that's he's made peace with.

"Oh- well I'm sorry." I whisper.

"Theirs nothing to be sorry about love. I didn't tell you so you could pity me." He looks down at me and furrows his eyebrows together.

"I know- it's just very unfortunate." I murmur.

He chuckles lightly and nods, "Yeah I guess you can say that."

"So how long were you in that foster home for?" I ask.

"Five six years I think before jail, then technically two years after jail but I dipped and lived on my own at that point." He actually answers.

"Wow, was anyone ever close to adopting you?"

"Fuck no. Like I said, I was a burden to the foster home. I was the shit disturber of the kids and no perfect parents ever wanted that." He shakes his head.

"Why were you a trouble maker?"

"Just who I am I guess. It didn't really start until I was ten though. I've always been quiet and reserved but I get pissed off from the littlest things." He states.