Seventy Four

Amelia Adams

I brush my hair out while looking at my reflection of the bathroom mirror. I need to go to the market today for some groceries and Harry's gone at work so I won't see him until tonight. Everything last night with his sister was a lot to process. He finally opens up to me about things in his past and it just makes me feel more close to him- closer than ever. Telling me these things was a lot for him, I know it.

Harry is a hard man to foresee. When I met him- he was as guarded as a brick wall, indestructible and full of power. He kept himself hidden behind the bricks and refused to let anyone really understand what was going on behind it. He is a complex soul that has seen some crazy things in his life, so I can't blame him for behind this way. I always used to say that he was the devil, a lost cause.

But he opened up to me. He has been slowly opening up to me without me even realizing. Underneath that cold exterior of a man is something beautiful, and no one knows it.

I thew on a pair of blue jeans while accompanying it with my plain grey shirt, having it sit nicely on the waist of my pants. My hair is straight today so I just leave it dropped down my back.

I head towards the door and put on my black sneakers, lacing them up before walking out the door. I guess the good thing about being underground is that you don't need to worry about the weather. I don't have to grab a coat or anything so it makes my life a little easier.

But gosh I miss the outside...

I miss the summer breezes and the looks of the trees when the leafs fall off. I miss trees a lot. I loved to draw them, I loved to sit up on them, I loved to watch them sway in the wind- I loved it all.

I walk out of the apartment and get into the empty elevator, going down to the familiar strip which I've stumbled across so many times. I lean my back against the wall at watch the numbers scroll down at the top. I still can't wrap my head around how this is all underground- it boggles me. This place is huge; like really huge. How long did it take to build this stuff? How long did it take to dig? I need to ask Harry these things because it really still doesn't make sense to me.

The elevator flies open with an accompanying ring noise. I step out to the dirt ground and walk down dim area, passing numerous stores that I haven't gone in yet.

Suddenly, a feel a body crash into me from behind- causing my frame to tense and quickly turn my head over my shoulder.

"Hey bitch!" Erica smiles with her perfect straight teeth. Her hair sits in a high pony tail and her lips are an intense shade of purple.

"Gosh Erica you scared me!" I stop walking and press my palm to my chest, crouching over slightly. She laughs a bit and rests her arms on my shoulder, moving me to walk again.

"Sorry boo. What are you doing down here?" She asks with a smile.

"I'm just getting some groceries." I smile at her and tuck my hair behind my ear.

"Oh, I thought you were here to see Harry." She chuckles as we walk down the strip.

"Is he down here?" I arch my brow in question.

"Yeah I think I saw him about ten minutes ago going into the club." She answers while looking around.

Why was he going to the club? It seems like it wouldn't be busy 11 in the morning on a Monday. I shrug my shoulders and keep walking while Erica's arm around me. I don't really care that he's at the club, I trust him.