Chapter 1

If I could go back in time, I would. If I could take back everything I ever said to my mom, I would. If I could find just one person who still believed in me. Who still believed I was worth the risk, I would. I would find them and never let them go.

Miranda's pov

My father was a bad man. A very bad man. I was ten when it all happened. My little brother was 2. I held him while we went to a park to talk to my father. My mother wanted to make it clear she wanted nothing to do with him. But my father had other plans.

I cover my ears as the memory of the gun firing goes off in my head. That was two years ago. Two years of uncertainty and fear. Fear of being separated from my brother. Fear of my father coming back to finish what he started. Two years ago, my father shot and killed my mother in front of me and my brother in a public park. Two years ago, we became orphans. The door opened, snapping me from my memories. "You're supposed to be in bed, Miranda. You've got school in the morning." My foster mom, Sylvia said. She and my foster dad, Dakota, were standing in the doorway. "Sorry." I mumble. She hugs me. "I can't sleep." I say laying down. She tucks the blanket around me. "How's Chris?" "He's asleep." At least one of us is.

*The next day*

I got home from school and smiled seeing Chris playing with his matchbox cars. He crashed them into each other. I brushed his blonde hair out of his eyes and crouched down to play with him when I heard Sylvia and Dakota talking to someone. A voice I didn't recognize. "It's very hard to keep siblings together. They've been lucky." I tense up in worry. We've been in 12 different foster families. We haven't gotten split up once. Has our luck ran out? "Cars boom!" Chris says cheerily. I shakily stand up and walk to the door. I peek in there. Sylvia was in tears. "We don't want to.... If we could keep them, we would." I shove the door open. "Why are you giving us away?!" I shout. Sylvia stands up. "Why?! I can't do it again!" I cry running out the door. I collapse in the woods behind our house and cry into my knees. It hurts. So much. Just when I think I found someone who really cared, they abandon us. I can't face that heartbreak again. 20 minutes later, the social worker walks over holding Chris. I'm shaking and crying. He helps me stand up. "Why?" I whimper. He doesn't say anything and takes us back to the building we stay in between homes. I hug my little brother. I can't do another family. I can't have him getting attached. Not again  "Sissy, cry." He says, handing me his favorite flame racecar. "Thanks." I mumble hugging him.

*A few weeks later*

It was going on the third week of being here. I've overheard the adults talking. Saying they're trying to find a foster home that will take us both. But so far, no luck. We've got to go. I scoop up my brother and run out.