Mentally Intact

As requested by sherlock272
Alfred x reader

"Okay, mom. I love you, too." I tried to kiss her cheek, but I quickly realized that I couldn't. She smiled at me and waved before disappearing.

Okay, I know what you're thinking. Is this girl okay? Is she mentally stable? The answer is... probably. The thing is, I can see the dead. I'm kind of like a medium, but not really.

I live in an orphanage. Why? Well, the obvious reasons. My parents are gone and there was no one else to raise me.
I have my own room that I share with four other girls. We only have one bathroom in the whole orphanage, so you can imagine how hectic it is when we're trying to get ready or when everyone needs to use the bathroom.

I was cleaning my room when someone called my name from downstairs. "Coming!" I yelled and ran down the stairs, taking them two at a time. I tripped on one of the last steps and fell into someone. I looked up to see a grey-haired old man. I smiled slightly, "Sorry."

The head mistress stepped over to me, "Y/N, this is Mr.Pennyworth." I gave him my most polite smile, "Hello Mr.Pennyworth." His eyes lit up, "Oh, you can call me Alfred, miss."

"Mr.Pennyworth is here to adopt you." I looked over to her with wide eyes. "Don't I get a say in all this?" She laughed, "Not on my watch. I'm trying to get you brats out of here as soon as I can." I frowned, then shot her a fake smile. I turned to Alfred, "Where did you park?" His jaw locked in anger, "Come on, now. We best be gone!" He put his arm around my shoulders and we walked out.

We pulled up to a mansion about 15 minutes later and I gasped, "This is where you live?" He chuckled, "Well, yes, technically. I'm a butler for Bruce Wayne and mostly his guardian now, since his mum and dad passed." My thoughts were all over the place. "Why would you want to adopt me, of all people?" I started with the most simple question.

"Well, believe it or not, Master Bruce helped in that decision. He has taken a liking to you." I frowned, "He likes... me?" Alfred parked the car in front of the door, "Well, let's say...he finds you interesting. His opinion matters to me very much, so that's why I picked you."

He got out, leaving me with my million thoughts. He greeted a tall and slim boy. The boy looked to be about my age and had brown tousled hair. He is cute, I do admit and with every amount of courage in my body, I got out of the car and went over to greet him.

"...and this is her!" Alfred gestured towards me and I held out my hand for the boy to shake. He grabbed a hold of my hand and placed a kiss on the top of it. "Its very nice to meet you." He let a smirk play on his lips and I grinned, "You too."

"May we go in?" Alfred interrupted our little moment and I pulled away awkwardly. "Can I help you with your bags, Miss?" I glanced toward my only suitcase, noticing its rips and stains. "Well, that's the only thing I have." The merry old man smiled and took it anyway.

Bruce opened the door for me, "Ladies first." I thanked him as I giggled and took my shoes off at the door. "I'll take your coat, if you want." I smiled and handed it to the eager brunette, who took it and placed it on the hook above my shoes. "Master Bruce, taking my job, I see."

We all laughed and Bruce added, "Sorry, Alfred." He stood with his hands behind his back, "No need to be sorry, mate. I'd say you've learned some manners today. Now come on, I've made a snack for you all."

We made our way to the kitchen and sat down at the island. Alfred sat two plates in front of us and went to sit on the other side with his own plate. I tried not to be a complete slob, so I took slow, agonizing bites. I haven't eaten since breakfast yesterday, so I am extremely hungry.

"Miss Y/N, when was the last time you ate? If you don't mind me asking." My eyes widened, "Oh, am I being a messy eater?" I bit my lip and he chuckled, "No, no, you're fine. I was just wondering. That place looked as though no one ate anything. You're all as skinny as you can be." I sighed, "I haven't ate since breakfast yesterday."

When I glanced down, I saw Alfred's face. He was infuriated, "Do you mind telling us anything else about this dreaded place?" My eyes drooped and I was almost hesitant to say it. "She sleeps with a different guy every night and he's the one who gives her money to take care of us. I've seen him give it to her. Its about five thousand dollars and all she buys for us is cereal... that's it."

Alfred went over to the phone to call CPS.

***
For the next few days, I fixed up my own bedroom at the Wayne Manor. I hung curtains, painted the walls, and got some furniture that were all my favorite color. I also bonded with both Bruce and Alfred by talking, of course, playing board games, and even cooking.

I noticed that Bruce was fascinated with detective work, but he never offered to show me anything about it, so I just peeked into his room every once in a while.

Today, I woke up to the smell of bacon. 'Yummy.' I thought to myself and threw on one of my new outfits that I had gotten yesterday. Bruce made it a necessity that I have a brand new wardrobe, and I am not complaining.

I walked out of my room and down the stairs to the kitchen. "You're finally awake, I see." Alfred said and I looked to the clock: 11:30 a.m. My eyes widened, but I just laughed it off.
***
A few hours later, I heard a knock on my bedroom door. I put down my magazine and jogged over to open it. Bruce stood with a folder in his hands and asked me to follow him. I skeptically did so and we ended up beside a fireplace.

"Why are we beside a fireplace?" He laughed and held up a finger, signaling for me to hold on.

All of a sudden, the fireplace was pushed back further into the wall and left a staircase in its wake. My lips moved, but no words came out. "I haven't been down here for a while. I thought I'd show you a little piece of me." He walked in, motioning for me to follow.

I took a few steps, until I was facing a desk with a man sitting and staring at me. "Who is this?" I glanced up to Bruce and over to the man. His eyes furrowed and he scanned the perimeter of the direction I was facing. "What are you talking about? There's no one here." I stood, analyzing his facial features, then realized what must be happening.

"You lost your parents, didn't you?" He nodded and searched my eyes, then gazed back to the desk. "Master Bruce, Miss Y/N, what is the matter? Bruce, why are you showing this to her? I thought you weren't ready." I  acknowledged Alfred and told him if he could see the man. "No, I'm afraid I can't." He was hesitant and confused, I could tell.

"I think it would only be fair to you all if I gave you a piece of myself in return to what you have done for me." I grabbed both of their hands, "I... I can see the dead. I don't know what I am, all I know is that I can see them. I talk to my mother almost every day." They were both shocked, "So, that's my father, at the desk?" Bruce tried to be strong, but I could see the tears in his eyes.

I turned my head to the man and he looked up from his paperwork. I waited for an answer and he gave me a nod of his head. "Yes, he said he is your father." Bruce let a tear fall and engulfed me into a tight hug.

After we hugged, Alfred asked me, "So, is he okay? He was a good man, Y/N." I smiled and gave him a hug, "He said he's fine, Alfred. He loves you both very much. Now, if you must, he needs to get back to his work." They both laughed, understanding that was the person he could be, always having work to do.