The Only Way

As requested by sherlock272

I can hear their laughter from where I sit. Those taunting things they always say and their selfishness all combine into one ginormous cause for an anxiety attack. The nurses try to help keep me calm, but I can't do it.

There's no end in sight to this awful phase. That is, until a man with black, spiked up hair and a cane comes limping towards me.

Oswald's POV

I hear a high-pitched scream and start to walk towards where it came from. This isn't common, at least not in the orphanage. As I turn the corner into the library, I see a girl, no more than sixteen years old, on the floor.

Nurses surround her and one notices me, motioning me over. "She's having another one of her anxiety attacks. Maybe and unfamiliar face will calm her down."

'Another?' I think to myself, then get on my knees in front of her. "Hey," I grab her shoulders with a firm grip, so she will stop shaking.

She looks up at me with tear stains on her cheeks and a look in her eyes that says, "Save me."

"It's okay. You're fine." We just stare at each other for the longest time until she lunges toward me, wrapping her arms around my neck. I hear little footsteps coming towards us and I turn to see Martín.

"Martín, why aren't you with the other children?" Instead of answering my question, he writes on his notepad Is she okay?
I glance back up at him and down to the girl and say, "Yes, she's okay now. Do you know her?"

He nods and writes She's my sister. I swallow the lump in my throat. "Very well. Go back outside."

Y/N's POV

The next morning, I wake up feeling a lot better. I yawn and reach over to grab my phone. While I'm scrolling through my Twitter feed, the bedroom door opens to reveal the same man from yesterday.

"Hi! I just thought I'd bring some breakfast to you, since you feel bad." He places the bowl of oatmeal on my lap and starts to walk away.

"Thank you." I sincerely say and he stops walking. "It is my pleasure." He says, then walks out.

I get ready for the day, putting some makeup on and getting dressed, before heading down to the library again. On my way, I hear some talking coming from one of the rooms. And me, being a nosy person, stops to listen.

However, as I walk over to the door, it swings open, revealing Sofia Falcone. "Oh! Y/N, what a surprise! I heard you got sick last night?" I nod my head, "It was just another one of my attacks."

"Well, I'm glad you're feeling better at least! I'll see you later." She pats my shoulder and walks down the stairs.

When I get to the library, I find a romance novel and sit down to read it. I'm really getting into the juicy parts of the story when I see out of the corner of my eye, a man standing in front of the main desk.

He checks out a book and goes over to the table behind me to read it. I know I've seen him before. There are very few bald men who wear leather almost all the time. I can feel his eyes on me from the moment he sits down.

After a few minutes of this, I hear him stand up and he makes his way to the chair across from mine. He acts as though he is reading, but I can tell he's really not.

All of a sudden, he speaks up, "Why do you like to read so much? I don't really see what's so fun about it." A small smile plants itself on my lips. "Umm... I don't know. It just gets my mind off of things, I guess." He nods, trying to relate, but realizing he can't.