Newt // Connected (Pt.1) *REQUEST*

* This imagine was requested by @BrettskyB
I really liked this idea and I hope you all like how it turned out! *

Every morning started the same: I woke up earlier than any of the other girls, ate a small breakfast, filled my bag for my run and met the other Mappers at the walls. It was a schedule I had carved into my brain for the last almost three years. Today was no different, expect today I had someone to keep my company at breakfast.

"Good morning, (Y/N)," Ellie (Eleanor Roosevelt) chirped as I entered our small kitchen. She was the youngest of the Fielders and the newest addition since she only arrived in the elevator a month ago. She was a cute girl with short brown hair and big brown eyes, only reaching my shoulders when she stood upright. Ellie was a nice girl, however she never stopped talking.

"Morning, Ellie. What are you doing up this early? You're not a Mapper," I replied while taking an apple from the stack.

She followed me out of the kitchen and towards one of the picnic tables where we ate our meals. Ellie yawned loudly before saying, "I just couldn't sleep and I knew you'd be up so I wanted to come see you go." She then pulled a string bag from over her shoulder that I hadn't noticed before and placed it on the table. "And I packed your bag for you. Your welcome."

A wide grin took over her face as she looked up at me with her chin in her palms. I laughed at her before properly thanking her. She then started up a new conversation about something that happened yesterday at lunch while I was running.

She left little room for me to talk so that she could have this whole time to herself. I was the only girl who could put up with her, the others seemed to get annoyed by her incessant talking but I didn't mind as much. She was only 12 and I felt she needed some time to just be a kid.

A sudden beeping from the watch on my wrist brought my attention to the crack in the opening. Two girls were already standing there with their gear packed on their backs and their hair neatly tied back so to not get in their way.

"I gotta go, Ellie. I promise we'll talk more when I get back tonight," I told her as I got up from the bench and attached the bag to the harness over my chest.

She pulled me into a tight hug like she did every day. "Be careful."

"I always am," I chuckled, kissing the top of her head before dashing across the Field to the opening.

The two girls who were waiting at the opening smiled when they saw me running over.

"Well, nice to see this stick decided to finally get to her job," Harriet mocked with her hands on her hips. She was the Guarder of the Mappers, so she was the one who gave us our routes for the day.

She explained to me and the other Mappers who joined us each of the sections we would be running. She informed me that for today, I would be going alone on my run since my usual partner was sick. Normally, a Mapper couldn't go alone for safety reasons, but I trusted my Guarder and agreed with her orders.

At the stroke of 7, the walls in front of us slid apart with a groaning of gears until a clear opening was drawn between them. Harriet called for everyone to be careful, as she usually did, before spinning around and dashing into the maze.

One by one girls ran in and split off into different paths to get to their own sections. Mine was the farthest for today, so I still had quite a long ways to go before I even needed to start jotting down the turns. Being a Mapper meant you had to have a pretty good memory which came in handy when I needed to remember how I got in and out of the maze.

I had been running for hours before I needed a small break. My chest heaved up and down as I tried catching my quickened breath. I stopped at a small alcove that would hopefully shield me from any of the buggers that hid inside the maze.