Newt // The Flare (Pt.2) *REQUEST*

* As highly requested, here is the part 2. This one is more of a filler for the next part but I still like it a lot. Hope you all do too! *

We ended up going through with Gally's plan, despite Thomas's protesting. Thomas baited Teresa away from the rush of the crowd to a secluded area where Gally was able to capture her and bring her to this abandoned church we found. They had everything set up with Teresa sitting helpless in a wooden chair with the bag over her head until Newt took it off and took a seat at the chair right in front of me.

Teresa scanned the room in front of her as her eyes adjusted to the new light. The first thing she said was, "Gally?"

"Here's how this is gonna go," Gally began, not bothering to explain how he was alive, "we're gonna ask you some questions and you're gonna tell us everything we need to know. We'll start off simple. Where's Minho?"

Teresa's mouth started mumbling as a way to dodge the question but Gally slammed the legs of the chair onto the ground harshly, emitting a loud sound that instantly silenced her. Gally never showed Teresa any kindness in the couple days she was awake in the Glade so we left him as the 'bad cop' to get answers out of her.

Gally was able to hold his end of the deal till we knew everything we had been planning to ask her. She even gave in and told us she would cut out each of the trackers WICKED had implanted in our necks when we were kids and while she did that, Brenda and Gally came up with a plan.

After I finished getting my tracker removed, I dug inside the pile of clothes Fry found that were left to collect dust. It wasn't until my top was off, leaving me in only a thin camisole that I noticed the veins had traveled up my arm around my shoulder. The spider-webs tangled up my arm and sprouted over my shoulder, the path directed at my heart but not quite there yet. The flare was spreading but there was still no cure.

I jumped when I felt a hand gently press onto my right arm, the one covered in veins. The familiar hand glided up my arm until it swiped the hair from my neck to my other shoulder, giving him free access to my neck and shoulder. His lips gently pressed hot kisses onto my skin in a trail over my veins.

"It's getting worse," my voice said crestfallen. As much as I wanted to revel in the feeling of his kisses on my shoulder, we couldn't ignore the inevitable reason for the marks on my body. I was dying.

"I know," he spoke lowly, as if not quite accepting my fate. "But there's still time. We're not giving up now—I'm not giving up ever." 

I spun around to wrap my arms around his neck. He was surprised for a moment but melted into me with his arms instinctively holding tightly onto my back. If I could, I wanted to stay in his arms till the end of time and forget about the maze, WICKED, and the flare so that it could just be Newt and I.

As I stood in his arms, I glimpsed at the church around us. The church, although dark, still had light peeking through the stain glass windows that were probably older than I was. The alter was untouched, not a single item or relic out of place that would show sign of the apocalypse outside.

"I always wanted this for us," I said into his ear. He pulled back just enough to look at me with his arms still glued to my hips. "I wanted us to get married in a church like this. Somehow we would find a dress for me and a tux for you that we could have the ceremony in and Fry would give me away. I wanted us to have a future." My eyes filled with tears and I had to look down at my feet to avoid his eyes. "I guess we can't have that now."

"No," he interjected, rejecting any negative thought I had. "We can have that. I will do anything I can to make sure we have that, darling. I promised you in the maze that I would keep you safe and I plan to do that now, even if you are sick with the flare. You can't give up, I won't let you."

Pressing a gentle kiss to his lips, I allowed him to believe that I agreed with him, even if my mind was set on dying; it's why I already had a letter addressed to my love hidden in my pocket to give to him at the last seconds of my life.

"Hey," Brenda caught our attention before apologizing for ruining our moment. "Gear up." We would be impersonating WICKED guards, so Brenda gestured to the two suits fit for Newt and myself, assuming the others had already gotten dressed.

"You ready to take down WICKED?" I asked, a grin curling my lips as I thought about taking them down once and for all.

An identical grin mirrored on Newt's face as the same thought went through our minds. "Let's take down these bastards."