Whitey // Ten Years *REQUEST*

* This was requested by @Mazerunner2424
Thank you for being patient with me! I know this took forever. I'm kind of busy with volunteering at my church and I had a lot of writers block so this isn't my best sadly. Hope you still like it! *

The little girl had tears rolling down her cheeks as she asked the kind mother where her son was, in which she politely told her he was out by the river to have a bath. She thanked the mother and followed the dirt path to the river only a little beyond the trees.

She wasn't alone today, her mother and father coming along on the journey to her best friend's house when they realized they had to tell their own best friends the grief news. (Y/N) walked along to the river, however, by herself since she wanted to be the one to tell Whitey the news.

She found him sitting on the edge of the river, the top layers of his clothes discarded many feet away from the river so to keep it dry but his feet were being washed with the water. His hair was soaking wet so he had already washed that and the rest of his top half before she arrived. Unfortunately, she would have to upset the careless boy right now.

"Whitey?" The boy in question spun around to see the familiar face, a smile taking over him as he jumped out of the river and ran towards his best friend. The two 8 year olds hugged tightly, only (Y/N) hugged a little tighter at the thought of this being the last time.

Whitey pulled away and was about to tell her all about what he found when he saw the tears on her dirty cheeks. She was also wearing her fancy clothes, something she tried to avoid as much as possible because it meant she wasn't allowed to play with him. He knew something was wrong, so he asked.

"I'm leaving, Whitey," the girl cried, the tears continuing to pour.

Whitey was at a loss for words. This was his best friend, the girl whom he had been inseparable with since the day they were born and yet she was telling him she was leaving?

"What?" He took a step forward and held her tightly once again, not caring if he was soaking wet from the river or the fact that she was wearing her fancy clothes.

Sniffling a few times, the little girl was able to say, "My daddy is being offered a job in Kansas so he's moving us up there with him. I wanna stay with you, Whitey." The girl dove into his chest, holding tightly to the thin shirt he was wearing and pressed her face beside his.

The pair stood crying, neither of them being old enough to come up with any sort of solution to this problem or a mature thought that an older kid would have been able to draw up. They were two kids being torn apart.

"(Y/N)!" The girl's mother screamed from the edge of the trees after speaking with the young boy's parents. Everyone was upset about this move but the children had it worse. "Time to go honey."

Whitey cried out when he heard this and tried pulling the girl down the river so they could run away but the scolding of both their mothers stopped him. He surrendered, tears and all, and made his way up to the older women with his best friend's hand in his own.

Their stagecoach was all packed with their things and was waiting for them when the group made it to the front of his home, their fathers hugging goodbye. The mothers had already said their goodbyes so all that was left was the kids.

"I don't want to go," (Y/N) whined when her mother asked if she was ready. She had grown attached to Whitey and was terrified to know what a life would be like without him. Plus, he was her only friend.

"I promise (Y/N), I'll find you again. Alright? Don't you give up on that promise." Whitey made her promise and before either of them knew it, they leaned in until their tiny lips pressed together in a quick chaste kiss, one they saw each of their parents display and assumed it was a sign of love.

Pulling away all together, (Y/N) whispered back, "goodbye Whitey" before taking off towards the stagecoach without looking back, for if she did, she might not be able to leave. And as they drove away, Whitey remembered the promise and swore that one day he would find her again.

-----

Many years later, (Y/N) was lost once again, both her mother and father taken from her after a disease outbreak in her town. Thankfully and unfortunately, she was the only one who didn't fall ill. After living two months all alone, (Y/N) traveled back south in search of either familiar face or shelter.

She found her way unknowingly back to New Mexico where she met a woman named Alice who offered her food and shelter in exchange for work. Due to her desperateness for anything, she accepted. It wasn't until a few weeks later when she finally found out just how close to her old town she was.

(Y/N) was busy doing her daily chores like usual when she heard a voice outside, a males voice different from Roy's but still a male's certainly. Her curiosity got the better of her when she looked out the window and saw someone she never thought she would see again. Whitey. Seeing he looked to be in some sort of argument, (Y/N) grabbed the gun on the counter as she ran outside.

"In a pigs ass," Whitey commented before reaching to grab his gun, only Mary was quicker and had hers aimed at him before he could remove his from the holster.

Mary froze though when she heard another clicking of a gun being aimed directly at her, drawing all the attention towards the girl standing a few feet behind Alice.

"Lower your gun," she demanded with her eyes locked on Mary even though she wanted desperately to get a better look at Whitey. He had seen her now of course and she was scared to know his reaction to seeing her after all these years.

In a disbelieving manner, Whitey asked, "(Y/N)?" She finally worked up the courage to look at him and a shy smile took over her face. "Hi, Whitey."

The other women were shocked at how the two of them could have known each other but while Whitey had his guard down, Mary figured it was fine for her to put her gun away and allow the two to have their moment.

Alice saw the looks exchanged between (Y/N) and Whitey and knew they would need to talk through something if not reunite with each other in private. "Can I offer you all some coffee?"

The girls in the two wagons climbed off carefully and followed Alice inside where drinks would be served, leaving Whitey and (Y/N) alone. He dismounted his horse and walked straight to (Y/N) where he placed both of his hands on her cheeks and inspected her to be certain she was who he thought she was and not someone who just looked an awfully lot like his old best friend.

"You promised we'd find each other again," she said with a bright smile, her eyes filling with water. The two of them had changed so much in the ten years since they had been apart. The most different change was the mustache grown over Whitey's lips; he obviously didn't have any facial hair when they were eight.

Not bothering to worry that it had been ten years seen they had seen each other, Whitey pulled her closer until their lips met in a kiss a hundred times better than the first one they had together. It had been years, but this kiss was exactly how they pictured their last memory and this was how she was picturing their reunion if it ever came.

"I missed you Whitey, so much," (Y/N) said when she pulled away for air.

"I missed you too, pretty lady." As Whitey stood with her in his arms, he felt that no time had gone by and now they had forever to replace those ten years they missed.