Newt // The Flare (Pt.1) *REQUEST*

* This was requested by @SushiBoat
I am so sorry for how long this took! I was really happy to write a Death Cure imagine! I'll have your second request posted in a couple days! *

"Wh-what... (Y/N) why... what did I do?" Newt was standing in front of me with tears cascading down his cheeks all because of me. I hated to see him like this but this was for his own good.

"It's nothing you did, Newt. You were great but I just... I just can't be with you anymore." It took every ounce of strength not to wipe his tears away and tell him that I didn't mean it at all. After being together for almost 3 years, it broke my heart to tell him we can't be together especially after we just lost Minho to WICKED.

I needed to walk away so he wouldn't see me cry or else he would know I didn't mean it but he grabbed my arm before I was even a meter away. He spun me around and the heartbroken look on his face sank my heart in my chest, like somebody was pushing on it.

"I can change. I-I-I'll do whatever you need me to just-just please, love. Don't leave me." I wanted to cave in right then so I reminded myself of what I was or what I was going to become in the next few months. A crank.

"There's nothing you can do. Just leave me alone." I ran out of his hold and towards a secluded part of the beach where nobody else would be. As tears blurred my vision and my legs collapsed in the sand, I repeated the same thing over and over in my head so that the guilt would fade away. "It's for his own good. It's for his own good."

-----

The last few weeks of my life went by in a blur. Days were spent going on insane rescue mission to bring Minho back from WICKED and nights were spent alone where I could lay awake and torture myself with memories of that day that I left Newt. All in all, I deserved it.

I stayed away from everyone—Newt, Frypan, Brenda—so that they could slowly detach themselves from me, that way when I died, it wouldn't hurt as much. It was a lonely life but again, I deserved it.

Newt wouldn't even look at me anymore. He used to gaze over at me with his doe-brown eyes as if pleading for me to take him back but now he doesn't even look in my direction. He must be over me which is good even though it still breaks my heart.

The past week we had been pretty successful. We managed to rescue 100 immune kids from WICKED including Aris and Sonya but they still weren't Minho. Unfortunately, Thomas had another crazy plan to save Minho and instead of coming to me or Brenda for help, he took Newt and Frypan. As soon as I noticed the hammock that was usually occupied by a blond hair brit was empty, I woke Brenda and Jorge and ran to the first empty car to follow them.

The three of us found the boys surrounded in an overrun tunnel and were able to fend off the cranks quick enough that they could jump into the car. Jorge drove aimlessly until we saw the Last City and the giant walls surrounding it.

We all climbed out of the car to get a better look at the city. It looked normal if you ignored the walls, as if that's what the world looked like before the solar flares and the cranks. It looked safe.

"Thanks for that. Back there," Newt spoke for the first time to me in the weeks since I broke up with him. I wasn't sure if it was the fact that I almost lost him or if it was the sickness flowing through my veins that pushed the anger inside me.

"How could you think to leave without me? I want to save Minho just as much as you. Why wouldn't you get me?"

He looked taken aback for a second before looking at me confused. "If I recall, it was you who broke up with me. I thought that meant I didn't have to tell you everything that goes on in my life."