Newt // Scars (Pt.1) *REQUEST*

* This imagine was also requested by @casonyx Here is your second request. I hope you like it as well! *

"Newt!" The boy mentioned brought his attention back to his friend once he called his name. He hadn't realized he had zoned out until he was called back in. He looked over at Zart who was staring at him with an expression of amusement.

"I've called your name four times," he laughed, driving the shovel into the ground so that it could stand up on its own. Zart knew why his friend was so out of it, practically everyone knew in the Glade since it had been happening for the past two weeks.

Newt's girlfriend was running the maze and ever since a Runner was stung two weeks ago, he wanted her to change jobs. He knew she was tough and could handle herself in the maze, but that didn't mean he still didn't worry about her safety every second she was inside the maze and not safe with him.

"Look I know you're worried for (Y/N) but she's one of the best Runners we have, if not the best. She'll make it back before the doors close like every day and run straight into your arms," Zart was trying to comfort him but he still laughed at the end of his sentence. Newt and (Y/N) were the only couple in the Glade so they acted as entertainment for the others.

Newt nodded and tried refocusing back on the task at hand but his mind kept wandering. A hundred questions rolled through his head, each one with an even more gruesome and terrifying answer. At this point, he didn't care about escaping the maze—instead he just wanted her safe.

His nightmare came true when he heard screaming at the edge of the Glade doors. He was the first person to react and dashed across the Glade towards the Runner who had come back three hours earlier than he should have. Newt's blood ran cold when he saw what was in the Runner's arms: her body.

He could faintly hear other Glader's calling the Med-jacks over but it all seemed to drown out as he reached her. Minho's body gave out the second she was placed in Newt's arms, the exhaustion from running the maze and carrying the girl had worn him out.

Newt knelt on the ground to place her body directly over his own. It was when he pushed her hair back that his breath stopped in his throat. A deep wound took over half of her body, starting above her eyebrow, missing her right eye and beginning again from her cheek down to her collar bone. The whole right side of her face was covered in her scarlet blood, so much that her hair was sticking to the untouched skin. She didn't even look alive.

"She's breathing. I made sure of it," Minho said breathlessly, still trying to catch his breath from that long run.

Newt was frozen in place, staring at the face of his unconscious love. He had never seen her like this, in fact, never in the Glade had somebody looked like this. The grievers never cut their prey, only stung them and waited for the banishing. This looked deliberate, like the Creators knew what they were doing when they sent the griever after the girl.

"What happened?" Newt finally asked with his vision distorted from the amount of unshed tears. He looked up at Minho, needing a break from seeing her in this state.

"There was a griever waiting for us in our section. She wanted to split up so we ran in two different paths. I thought it was behind me but it went after her. When I ran back to get her, she was lying there in the maze like that and the griever was gone." Minho took a deep breath when he sat up on his knees. "She wasn't stung, I checked."

Newt looked back to (Y/N) placing his hand on her clean cheek. Her eyes were sealed shut and her slightly parted lips rhythmically took in and expelled breaths a lot slower than they should have been. He knew that no matter what, this image would be drilled inside his brain forever.