Newt // Goodbye

The young girl's bedroom was lit only by the warm glow of her nightstand lamp and her laptop sitting comfortably on her lap. Although there wasn't much light, there was a harmonizing mixture of sounds coming from the tapping of her laptop keys to the pattering of heavy rain outside her window. It was a regular night for anyone else, but tonight to her felt like a tragedy.

Fortunately, she wasn't alone. Someone - a certain important someone - was leaning against her wall, his feet tapping along to the rain. He watched her intently typing on her keyboard but made no move to distract her from her concentrated aura. He studied her carefully, his chocolate brown orbs zeroing in on the way she chewed her lush bottom lip, something she only ever did in a mix of concentration and nervousness. He noticed her auburn hair tied messily into a bun atop her head, a few wavy tendrils escaping the hold, framing her face perfectly. She was beautiful, a feat that never escaped his attention, regardless of what she thought otherwise. Usually writing calmed both of them, but tonight, he noticed she was jittery. Her fingers shook slightly, banging out words on a document in a frantic motion, unlike her usual easy-flowing manner. Her melodious voice cut through the air.

"Newt, please stop," she begged with a slight whine, "you're only stressing me out by doing that." She nodded at his feet, chuckling nervously.

He stopped his tapping for a moment, while glancing at the clock on her nightstand. The glowing neon display read "12:19 a.m". He sighed. Once again, she was the last one awake in her home. She always worked so hard to make others happy, but at the expense of her own well-being. Not only was she up late, but she experienced somewhat of a hard day. He had heard all about it when she came home early, locking herself away in her bedroom, not wanting to face the world in general. Wordlessly, he stepped out of the room, only to return with a tall glass of ice water and some Oreos, moments later.

"Amber", he called out softly, watching her head jerk up, her eyes widening in surprise. He set the food by her side on a tray, as he himself sat cross-legged next to her, breaking her out of her trance with a nudge of his shoulder.

"Love, I think a break is in order for the hardest working girl I know", he said, a smile illuminating his features. A smile mirroring onto her face, she gently set her laptop on an empty space on her bed. She maneuvered Newt's legs on the bed until they were outstretched in front of him and she was able to slip herself directly beside him, her left leg arched over his own. She took two of the Oreos from the bowl, handing one to the boy and keeping the other to herself.

Newt watched her with careful eyes, seeing her delicately munch on the cookie so to make sure none of the crumbs made it onto her bedspread. He also noticed that despite the cookies and, dare he say it, cuddles the two of them were sharing, something was still obviously eating away at the poor girl.

Cupping her face gently with his free hand, he turned her face toward his own. A single crumb sat on the corner of her bottom lip, and he used the pad of his thumb to remove it with the softest of touches, watching in amusement as a light blush dusted her cheeks at his action. Chuckling, he was half tempted to tease her more, as he noticed she didn't seem as tense now, but he restrained himself. All he truly wanted was for her to be happy.

Discarding the crumb onto the plate, he turned his attention back to her. Eyes no longer sparkling but instead filled with concern, he regarded her for a long moment, attempting to gauge her reaction, hoping it would provide insight into her thoughts. When it proved to be futile, he finally asked what he had been longing to all night. "Penny for your thoughts?"

The girl sighed, knowing her attempts to hide her concern had been useless, since he always seemed to read her like an open book.

Setting down the Oreo she was planning to eat, she gazed up at Newt with watery eyes. "I don't want to give you up Newt. I don't want to say goodbye."