Newt AU // Your Other Half *REQUEST*

* This was requested by @casonyx
I am so sorry for how long this took me and thank you for being patient!

WARNING: mentions of suicide and self-harm. Don't read if this will trigger you! *

17 years. 17 years Newt had been alive yet he has never once seen a single scratch, cut or bruise on his skin that wasn't his own. In any other world, that might have been normal but in this world, it was a tragedy.

Newt lived in a world where soulmates were connected via skin—any cut or any broken bone would transfer painlessly to their soulmates body—but Newt had never had the exhilarating feeling of seeing a bruise on his skin that wasn't his. This led him to believe he was soulmate-less.

The soulmate-less were a group of individuals born without someone to call their own, nobody that was crafted specifically for them, nobody to complete them. They were looked down at, some being sympathetic for the lonely life they were living while others avoided them as if it was somehow contagious. Either way, the life of a soulmate-less person was nightmare.

Newt was able to live his life day to day with the knowledge that he would never find his other half. He watched kids cheer with excitement as they noticed a new bruise forming on their arm, knowing that they at least had someone out there. He saw his close friend collide with a petite girl, both of their heads mirroring the same red mark, indicating that they had found their other half, all the while Newt sat back with jealousy burning his skin.

Typically, the soulmate-less were the few with mental illnesses, depression was the common denominator amongst them and Newt was no exception. In all honesty, how could the boy not suffer with depression when he believed there was no one of the earth who was made for him? All of the dangerous thoughts drove the boy to the brink of insanity, or more specifically, the edge of a bridge.

Months and months of sympathetic looks were casted at the boy from every person who had learned of his... condition. Mothers told him that there were more things in life besides your other half, while ironically retelling the fascinating story of how her and her spouse had met like it was written in a fairy tale and little kids would ask their parents why his skin had been clean unlike theirs that were already covered in small cuts and scrapes from playground accidents. Newt was tired of all of it.

One night, Newt was done. His friend had tried coaxing him into calming down after a severe panic attack that led him to hurling his dinner into the toilet but it did nothing. His parents were out on their usual date night, not wanting to do it at their home to avoid rubbing it in their son's face, so Newt was alone. Thinking on impulse, the young boy grabbed his car keys and left his home.

Miles away from Newt was (Y/N), a shy girl who was obsessed with the idea of soulmates. She had begged her parents a hundred times to tell her the story of their meeting as a child and even enjoyed hearing it again occasionally as she grew up. She knew she had someone out there because she remembered distinctly the broken wrist that she hadn't broken herself.

Her night started out normal; she had gone out with her friends to a small diner on the edge of town and returned home safely to share all of the juicy gossip with her mother. Halfway through her conversation though, she felt a weird tingling in her foot. Glancing down, she gasped.

She screamed for her mother, regardless of her sitting right in front of her, and felt tears well up in her eyes. Her mother noticed where her daughter was looking and gasped at the sight as well. (Y/N) nor her mother had ever broken a bone, but they knew that by the color changing of her leg and the twisting of her bone that her soulmate had broken it.

The girl was a wreck from that moment on, terrified that her soulmate may be bleeding out somewhere without any help. Sobs wracked her body as she worried over whether or not her soulmate was safe, wherever he was.

-----

A few weeks had gone by since the incident and Newt wasn't feeling any better, even with the intensive counseling and therapy (both physical and mental). He still felt that he wasn't needed in the world if he didn't have someone meant to be with him.

Today the young man was planning to spend the day with his best friend Thomas. He had already knocked on the door and entered his house before Thomas stopped him.

"Look, I know I said it would just be me and you," Thomas began, already forcing Newt to sigh and groan at whoever was in the living just behind them. "But I forgot Teresa was coming over today with her best friend from (Y/Hometown) and I thought we all could hang out." Thomas saw Newt's annoyed expression, his eyebrows furrowed and his lips pulled in a straight line, and put on his best innocent look.

"Come on. Please?" Thomas's puppy eyes melted his friend's hardened exterior as he nodded in surrender. Thomas thanked him and dragged him into the living room where two girls were already settled in.

Newt recognized the raven haired girl as Teresa, Thomas's girlfriend and soulmate, but the beautiful girl next to her was unfamiliar. In his mind, she was breathtaking; her hair was pulled away from her face and her laugh was the most amazing sound he had ever heard. She heard the boys enter and looked up at them, causing Newt's heart to stop.

"Newt, this is (Y/N), Teresa's best friend. She's coming down to visit from..." the rest of what Thomas had said was tuned out as Newt approached the girl, holding his hand out for her to shake.

"I'm Newt," he introduced himself although he was sure Thomas or Teresa had at one point mentioned who he was.

The girl smiled widely and shook his hand. "I'm (Y/N). Nice to meet you."

The pair seemed to have been in their own little world because they didn't notice Thomas and Teresa grinning at their interaction. They especially didn't hear them mention something about soulmates.

"Oh (Y/N), your bag is here," Thomas's mother called from the kitchen. (Y/N) apologized and left to grab the bag, only for Newt to notice the faint limp in her leg. He waited until she came back to ask about it.

She looked shyly down at her leg and laughed. "It's my soulmate. I'm not sure how it happened but a few weeks ago I saw it change color and ever since then, I've had this limp."

Newt stared at her incredulously, his mouth wide open and his eyes already filling with tears. It can't be, he thought. There is one way to know for sure.

Newt made the unconscious decision to grab the butter knife sitting on the table and cut it into the skin on the back of his arm, ignoring the others in the room calling for him to stop. He put the knife down once he made a small cut on his arm that barely stung. Everyone was silent as (Y/N) lifted her arm, showing off an identical cut.

"It's you," Newt heaved out. He was scared that in a matter of moments, he would blink and this would turn into a dream that he would wake up from, but as he felt her hand on his arm, he knew it was real.

He latched onto her body, pulling her as tight as he could into his chest with his head positioned in the crook of her neck. He cried loudly into her neck while holding onto the back of her head as if she would disappear if he didn't.

(Y/N) allowed him to cry in her neck. Teresa had told her a little bit about Newt's story and the fact that he believed he was soulmate-less so she knew he needed this more than she did. She gently rubbed his back and whispered kind things into his ear to calm his erratic heart. After years of believing he was alone, Newt finally found his other half.