Newt // Traitor (Pt.1) *REQUEST*

* This was requested by mookahlatte I changed your request a tiny bit but it doesn't affect the story that much.

I decided to write this two ways: with one ending and then an alternative ending. I couldn't decide which one to go with so I was excited to do both! The final part and the alternative ending will be posted soon. I hope you all like it. There's a lot of time skips but because it would be too long if I left it all in just so you know.

WARNING: Big spoilers for the Death Cure so if you haven't seen it, don't read! Also there's one curse word just as a heads up. *

Guilt ate at me as I told my hundredth lie. I wasn't proud of what I was doing but I had my reasons and I know that the outcome was worth more to me than these lies. I just hoped it would all work out in the end.

"(Y/N), are you coming?" Vince asked directly to me. We were having another meeting to come up with a plan to rescue Minho. This plan had been brewing for months after I found out they would be transferring the immune kids by train on this specific date. The day was finally here to bring him home, but I couldn't go.

"You guys have enough. I would just get in the way. Plus we need somebody else to go on that supply run after we lost half of it on our last rescue," I told the group, holding my breath as I waited for them to believe my lie.

"Okay, that's fine." Vince then went on to explain more about the plan. He told everyone where they needed to be at a certain time and how they had to do their job in order for this to all work out. "We leave in half an hour, everyone pack your stuff and let's ruin these sons of bitches."

The others all filed out of the room to get all of their weapons that they would need for the rescue. What they were about to do was very risky and could possibly get all of them killed, but Minho (and the other immune kids) were worth it.

"Hey," I said to Newt as he finished securing the goggles and bandana around his neck. He came over to me and slipped both of his hands around my waist while I wrapped mine around his neck. "Please, be careful."

Newt instinctively rubbed his hands up and down my back as a way to sooth my worries. He knew how nervous I was whenever he went on these rescue missions, but the black veins connecting like tree roots on his arm were eating me alive.

"I always am. I promised you I'd always be here and that's what I'm going to do," he assured me, leaning in to press his lips to mine.

I backed away a little right before they could touch. "You can't promise me that, Newt." He got what I was hinting at and firmly pressed his lips to mine before I could have a second to argue.

"Doesn't matter what happens to me, alright? Know that right now I love you. Isn't that enough?" For his sake, I nodded before burying my face in his neck while he tightly embraced me. Only I lied again. It wasn't enough.

It wasn't long before everyone was packed and ready to leave for the mission. Newt kissed me once more before all of them piled into their separate cars for their own parts of the plan. As soon as I saw them drive far enough away, I hoped into the only car nobody would notice was missing and took off down the dirt road, the opposite direction that they went.

I had been driving for a long time before I made it to the edge of the wall surrounding the city. I drove the car up to the edge where a row of WICKED guards were standing to protect any crank or rebel from getting inside. The guard stopped me with his gun aimed inside the car from my window. All it took was a flash of my badge for him to call out to let me through.