Newt AU // Let You Go *CO-WRITTEN*

* So guys this is not a request but it was co-written with my dearest friend SushiBoat
She is a phenomenal writer and I was so blessed to be able to share this with her. We enjoyed writing it and I hope you all like reading it! *

Thomas and Minho weren't sure what to do. Their closest friend had come crying to them in the dead of the night with sobs wracking his body. They had distinctly remembered hearing for hours, days, weeks even that today was the day he would propose to his beautiful girlfriend (Y/N), so they were confused as to why he was here at all and not with her.

Everything had been going great in their relationship, he never once doubted his love for her in all the years he had been with her and didn't think she did either. It was a quiet proposal, as he knew she would prefer a private one rather than a public one, candlelit on a secluded rooftop.

He remembered laughing with her as they always did when they went out on dates, talking about anything and everything for hours. He remembered dropping to one knee without breaking eye contact, revealing a beautiful, platinum Tiffany Setting engagement ring, as he breathlessly asked to spend the rest of his life by her side. But what happened afterward would stay with him for the rest of his life, regardless of what would become of them.

The mood had shifted instantly, so fast that it practically gave him whiplash. She had frozen in place, staring at him, eyes wide, with an unreadable expression. For a few charged beats, neither of them said anything. Then, he witnessed something he had never wished to see in his lifetime with her. Her face crumpled in anguish, and she began to shake where she stood. "I can't", she whispered the two words so quietly that he wasn't sure he had even heard her correctly. She fell to her knees in front of him, almost as if triggered by some unknown force, and her words finally hit him. They were now eye-level with one another, and she reached out with a trembling hand, cupping his face with the gentlest of touches, and shook her head. "I-I can't marry you, Newt," she whispered again, tears flowing in a steady stream down her cheeks.

The truth was, she had known this day was coming for years. Yet no matter how far in advance she knew, or how much she tried to prepare for the inevitable day, absolutely nothing could have prepared her for when it actually happened.

Newt felt as though someone had punched his stomach while simultaneously ripping his heart from his chest. All of the air left his lungs in an instant. "What?" he breathed out.

(Y/N) stroked his cheek, her breathing coming out in ragged gasps. "I'm so sorry, Newt," she choked out. She reluctantly removed her hand from him, the action being one she was certain was being done for the last time. Unsteadily, she got to her feet and although she didn't trust her body right now, she knew she had to get away. Feeling as though she were moving underwater, she was glad when her brain successfully sent a signal to her legs to flee from the once picturesque scene. Vision blurred, lungs burning and her heart aching, the only thought she could coherently formulate in that instant came from deep down in her heart. She was doing the right thing. She did what she never thought she would be able to do: she loved him enough to let him go.

Now that Newt looked back, he should have ran after her. He should have chased her down and demanded (yet still being kind towards the girl he loves) an explanation as to why she said no. Could he have done something wrong but never knew about it? Was there someone else that made her feel too much guilt to become his wife?

Plagued with horrifying thoughts, the young man looked up to his friends with an exhausted expression and whimpered, "what do I do?"

Thomas and Minho exchanged a look, before Minho uncharacteristically lifted Newt into a hug. He allowed his friend to sob on his shoulder for a few minutes, rubbing his back in a soothing motion.