Newt // Don't Worry *REQUEST*

* This was requested by -transparency
I am so sorry for how long it took me to post this! I tried really hard to include everything you asked for so I hope this is what you had in mind *

Heat was the only thing any of us could focus on. Not where we came from, where we're going, who we're going with—only the blaring sun burning our exposed skin.

We were thankful to Thomas for getting us out of Wicked... again. He knew something was off after being rescued from the maze and found out it was actually Wicked. However all of us could agree that this heat was more unbearable than being 'harvested' by Wicked.

The Scorch was almost nothing like the maze. The scorch was hot, sandy and full of flesh eating cranks ready to tear your shuck body to pieces if you came too close to one. Plus, the glade had our friends and we just couldn't stop losing them; losing Winston had hit all of us hard. 

We also had no idea where we were going other than the mountains. The Right Arm, which was some kind of resistance group to Wicked, were believed to live in the mountains, if they were in fact real. Our hope was put in the hands of a 16 year old boy who had learned his name only days ago... great.

"Just a little further," Thomas yelled over his shoulder. We were caught in the middle of a sandstorm with only a thin sheet wrapped around us to block it yet sand still stung our eyes and dried our mouths.

"You alright?" Newt called beside me when my feet caught beneath me. A few of us had to double up with the sheets since we could only find so many in the mall before the cranks showed up and Newt happened to be my pair.

He had one arm around my waist and the other holding the sheet over his head. At one point, he took the red scarf he found and tied it around my mouth to keep sand from getting in, not that it was working in this sandstorm.

Newt was always a protective boyfriend, even in the maze. He made sure the boys knew never to overstep any boundaries with me when I first showed up and constantly reminded them that I was his girlfriend when we started dating. He never let me step foot inside the maze, not that I really wanted to, until the day we escaped, and even then he was determined to keep me unharmed when we fought the grievers. I couldn't have asked for a better boyfriend.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I called back, although my dry throat scratched at the words. The elements of the scorch—the burning sun, hot air, sand, limited food and water, etc.—were easily breaking down the toughest and strongest Gladers and I was no exception. I hadn't had but a sip of water this entire day which was a big struggle with how much walking we'd been doing today. We weren't sure when we were going to come across water again so we had to ration it out with barely enough to keep us going.

We walked for another hour (it could have five minutes but it felt like an hour) before Thomas told us we needed a break. It would be dark soon so we just stopped right where we were which was in the middle of nowhere. There were no destroyed buildings or cars to be seen anywhere for us to shield ourselves in hence why we all rested against our backpacks.

Newt set up each of our backpacks right beside each other's where we could lay together and hopefully share body heat. The scorch was literally scorching during the day but the temperature dropped drastically at night.

He tilted his water bottle back to drop the rest of it into his mouth but sighed when he felt one single drop fall on his tongue. Another water bottle empty and still no way to refill it. I grabbed my bottle that sat in the side pocket of my bag and held it out for him.

"No, love, you need that water. Save it for yourself." He gently pushed the bottle back towards me. He was placing his empty bottle back in his bag when I put the bottle straight into his hand, not taking no for an answer this time.