Newt // The Flare (Pt.4) *REQUEST*

* Here it is you guys! Hope you like it! This was supposed to be the last part but it ended up being really long so YAY another part coming soon! *

Third Person POV

The group ran through the city as quick and inconspicuously as they could, hiding from cars and helicopters searching for them. Based on what Gally said, they still had 12 blocks to go before they made it to the tunnels that would lead them out of the city. But unfortunately, (Y/N) wasn't doing so well.

She collapsed against the cement wall behind her where the group would take a short break after almost being discovered by the circling helicopters. It took her a lot longer to catch her breath than the others but she was right behind them nonetheless.

The girl was sandwiched between Newt and Minho when she heaved over with a fresh wave of coughs. Suddenly feeling too hot, her nimble fingers felt for the end of the vests' zipper so she could pull it down and take the jacket off.

"(Y/N), how ya feeling?" Minho asked while Newt helped her unzip the jacket after noticing her struggling.

The girl panted a few times, a soft smile curling on her lips. "Terrible." She moved one hand to Minho's cheek to brush her thumb over it a few times. "It's good to see you though. We missed you." Minho replied about missing her as well before sliding over to another part of the wall where Gally and Thomas were sitting.

"How long has she been like this?" Minho asked the pair. All three of them glanced over at the sickly girl, her head resting on her boyfriend's shoulder as she caught her breath. Nobody wanted to mention it, but the veins on her arm had spread up to her chest and neck. Soon it would spread to the rest of her.

"She'll be okay," Thomas assured his worried friend while also taking off his jacket. "We just have to get her to Brenda. She's got the serum." His eyes met Newt's and silently he told him to get (Y/N) back on her feet, to which Newt replied in a nod.

"Come on, love. We need to get you up." Newt stood up first and presented both of his arms forward for her to grab onto. Her eyes narrowed up at him, mentally preparing herself for the challenge that was standing up. Newt understood her and knelt down to grab her waist and pull her up with his strength rather than just her own. Her legs wobbled underneath her and Newt had to steady her before she could fall face first on the ground.

"You're okay. You're okay. I've got you. I won't let you fall," Newt whispered to her as she leaned most of her body weight onto him. For the most part, the only way she was actually standing was because of Newt.

The group continued on through the city but this time they had to avoid the streets completely since (Y/N) was in no way able to hold herself up. It took Newt and Minho's arms around her to keep her off the ground so running to the tunnels wasn't an option.

A sudden explosion at the edge of the city stopped the group from running any further. A small scream erupted from the girl as an entire wall windows behind them shattered due to the force of the explosion. Gally knew straight away it was Lawrence's group storming inside.

"We were supposed to take down WICKED not the whole damn city," Gally said surprised by what his previous group was doing. This didn't actually matter to any of the Gladers since they didn't care about this last city any more than they cared about WICKED. They just wanted to get out of it.

Newt could feel (Y/N)'s feet dragging on the floor beneath her so he called for them to stop again. They set her against the wall and took another second to catch their breaths. While Newt helped (Y/N), the other three watched WICKED form a blockade of guards and machines right beside where they were sitting. None of them knew what they were waiting for until they saw the first explosion.