Newt // Promise *REQUEST*

* This was requested by @Scottishflower
I really like this and I hope you like it too. Thank you for being so patient with me for how long it took me to post! *

Third Person POV

The Gladers did the impossible: they escaped the maze. They fought hard and long against a pack of grievers, losing at least half of their friends in the process, but those who were left alive were brought to safety.

They were brought to a facility by helicopter in the middle of the night where they were told they were 'safe from Wicked'. Each Glader was given the chance to wash up and get changed into new clothes after devouring a table full of junk food they hadn't seen in those three years in the maze.

The girls were whisked off away from the boys, much to each of their dismays, but were happily merged back together while getting checkups from the facility's doctors. (Y/N) was being brought in by one of the guards and passed each of her friends on the way.

Minho was running on a treadmill to the left with wires attached to his arms and chest to monitor his heartrate, breathing, etc., Thomas was getting blood drawn, Teresa was speaking to her doctor and Newt was being injected with some blue liquid.

Newt smiled the second he saw his girl walk in. She had arrived the month after he did and in that long amount of time he's known her, he's never seen her this clean. Her skin was a shade lighter without the extra layer of dirt over it, her hair was styled instead of thrown into a ponytail to keep off her neck in the hot Glade and her clothes looked new, without a single stain or tear in them. She looked absolutely beautiful to him.

(Y/N) snuck off from the man who brought her into the room so she could stand by Newt. The doctor administering the shot was finished just as she walked over thus letting her take the seat he was just in. Newt pulled the sleeve of his new shirt down and positioned himself in the chair to face her.

He took her hand from her lap and placed it in his own while he greeted her with a kiss to her lips. She hummed against him and set her free hand on his cheek. He pulled away a few seconds after. She wiped her thumb beside the cut on his left cheek but was still careful to avoid touching it.

"Does it hurt?" She asked him worriedly. She would always worry about him, even over tiny cuts like these that use to litter his hands from the vines in the gardens.

He smiled at her. "Nah, barely even noticed it." She wondered if he was pretending just to keep her from worrying but she shrugged it off when she felt him tugging at her finger, specifically the ring finger.

"I remember when I gave this to you," his lips curled in a smile, "I was so bloody nervous. I honestly didn't think you'd say yes to become my wife... but you did." He looked up at the young girl, reminiscing about the day he just mentioned.

--

Greenie day was the most joyful day for all the Glader's each month, Newt and (Y/N) included. Once Newt finished showing the Greenie around, he would take his girl to the watchtower where they would celebrate the night. They usually didn't have to worry about privacy since they had their own secluded room in the Homestead under the terms of her being the only girl and him being the second-in-command, but they still loved these days where they could be alone.

The girl was in charge of the blanket the two would share while the boy brought the food they would eat. They could watch the Gladers below as they partied their drunken asses off or have their alone time to do whatever they please. Today, they wanted silence as they stared off at the closed doors. They weren't entertaining, but they were still and kept them grounded, especially with their significant other's arms wrapped around them.

"You know there isn't anything I wouldn't do for you, right?" Newt asked her suddenly. She was a little taken aback by his sudden question but answered anyway.

"Of course." The girl was snuggled under his arm with her head resting comfortably in the crook his neck. His cheek sat against the top of her head, occasionally pecking a quick kiss to her hair. Newt wanted to keep the respect of the others as the second-in-command so they rarely had any PDA, but alone, Newt spoiled the girl with all the love he had to offer.

"When I'm with you, I feel like I'm a better person. I feel happier, less alone. I can forget I'm not supposed to be happy in this blood maze." (Y/N) sat up this time to look directly at the boy.

"Why are you telling me all this?" Not that she didn't love hearing him spill his heart out to her, but the confession scared her because it almost sounded like a goodbye.

Newt took a couple seconds to combine his thoughts into an actual sentence instead of the fragments forming in his head. He wanted to come out and say the two words he'd been dying to ask her for a few weeks now but every time he chickened out. Instead this time he wanted to do it, he was going to do it, so he did.

"Marry me."

"What?"

Newt took both of her hands into his own and stared in her wide eyes. Her lips were curling at the one corner as if something was tugging on it but she was fighting back. She must have liked the idea enough so Newt continued.

"I want to go anywhere you go. I want to be the person you go to for anything. I want to be with you till the end of the line, whether that's in this maze or if we make it out. I want to be there for you any time you need me. I want to be your husband."

Newt pulled out a small pouch from his pocket and emptied the contents into his palm. There were two rings, both made of wood and looked handmade, however one was filed down just a tad bit thinner and a small square was carved out of the band. He reached into his pocket again and pulled out a tiny red flower. Newt took the smaller ring and twisted the flower around it until the flower resembled a diamond as if it was a diamond ring.

"Every free second I had, I was making these. They're not real wedding rings, I know, but-" Newt was cut off by soft lips pressing to his own. He smiled into the girl and kissed her back delicately.

"They're perfect," she assured him, tears brimming her eyes. She was 16 and he was 17 but they wanted this. They wanted this marriage even if it was unconventional to others. Hell, they lived in a giant maze; this was the most normal thing they'd ever seen.

Newt slid the ring onto her finger, careful not to mess up the real flower tied around it, and (Y/N) did the same to Newt's finger.

"Promise me you won't go anywhere that I can't follow," said Newt when he felt her snuggling back into his chest.

"Promise."

The two didn't need vows or a ceremony for them to feel what the rings meant. A wedding was just a piece of paper they'd sign saying they'd be together but this felt like a promise, a real promise to the other. They would be husband and wife because that was their promise.

--

The red flower that was originally put into the ring was now replaced with a wilting white one Newt found two days before their escape. He always made sure to have a patch of fresh tiny flowers hidden somewhere in the gardens so that her ring would always be nice, but in the chaos of the final days in the Glade, he hadn't replaced it.

"Do you think when we get to paradise we can have a real wedding?" He asked her while pushing a piece of her hair being her ear. "We'll get you a white dress, find me a bloody tux and we'll have Minho give you away, huh?" The girl laughed and shook her head.

"I don't need a wedding. This is enough." He pressed his lips against hers again and wrapped his arm around her shoulders to hold her into him.

Suddenly, a woman dressed in a white lab coat approached the two. "You must be (Y/N)?" The girl nodded and sat up a little straighter in front of the doctor.

"I'm just going to check all your vitals and make sure you're doing well," the woman explained while preparing a few tools on a tray. The couple had no issue with it so they let her do her work without having to leave each other.

"That's quite a ring," the doctor mentioned while eyeing the handmade jewelry around the girl's ring finger. Newt's face glowed with pride as he looked over at his wife. "It is, isn't it?"