Newt // Nothing to be Scared Of *REQUEST*

* This imagine was requested by @ShallontheOutcast
I'm so sorry it took so long but thank you for being so patient with me and I hope you like it! *

This punishment didn't feel fair. According to (Y/N), spending a night in the pit was a disproportional punishment for being out past lights out, especially since it was to get Newt and glass of water when he awoke sweating from a nightmare. Regardless of her views, her say wasn't taken into account when she voiced her opinion.

"Alby, I think you're being unreasonable," Newt commented while (Y/N) was being led to the pits. He knew that this was partially, if not completely, his fault so he wanted to convince Alby to change his mind. "She was doing me a favor."

"I know that Newt, but we have clear rules that state no Glader is to be out past lights out, no matter the reason. I'm sorry but she's being punished." Alby was always firm but the Second-in-Command had hoped that because of his high rank and his close relationship with Alby, he might be able to persuade him. He was wrong.

Alby wasn't rough with her as he brought her over, gently holding onto her arm in the case that she tried taking off, not that (Y/N) was rebellious and would run off. Once at the pits, (Y/N) hopped inside and allowed Alby to seal the door so that neither she nor any other Glader could get inside without the key only the Keepers possessed. Surprisingly, (Y/N) didn't fight at all when she was given her punishment until Alby mentioned she had to spend the night in there.

She suddenly became very panicked, wrapping her hands around the bars. "Alby, please, don't make me sleep in here. I'll spend double the days if I have to but please, I can't stay in here at night."

"I'm sorry, (Y/N), really I am. But I can't let you go. I'll send either Newt or I to get you after the doors open." Alby said a quick goodnight before (Y/N) could try fighting again and left to go to the Homestead where dinner was being served.

Newt knew why she pleaded to leave: she was terrified of the dark but Alby didn't know that when he made the punishment. Newt knew he wanted to help her since the whole reason she was in here was because she had helped him, so he knelt down in front of the bars and placed his hands over hers.

"I'm gonna go talk to Alby, see if I can't get him to change his bloody mind. You just hang tight, alright?" Newt waited for her to nod in answer and took off towards Alby, leaving (Y/N) to worry in the already darker pits.

As promised, Newt returned not too long after with regretful news. Alby would not change his mind, even after learning the dark fear (Y/N) kept a secret from the other Gladers, but he did agree to let Newt stay with her, which was at least a positive amongst the negative she had been receiving all evening.

Newt sat outside the pit for a while making small conversation with the girl below him until he noticed the others heading towards their hammocks for lights out. He knew that Alby wouldn't like the others to know he was lenient on (Y/N) so he decided to pretend he wasn't there.

"Love?" He called for her attention which he immediately received. "Alby doesn't want the others to know he's letting me stay here with you. I'm gonna have to blow out the lantern, alright?"

"No, no, no," she repeated and stood back up to her feet to reach Newt at the bars. "No, please you can't. It's already too dark in here and if you blow it out, it will be completely dark and I... I can't..." She was having a hard time forming words as her brain filled with a million different terrifying scenarios that could happen to her in the dark but Newt understood what she meant.

He placed both of his hands over hers that were clenched tightly around the bars. "It's alright, (Y/N). I'm right here with you, okay? Nothing bad is going to happen to you while I'm here." She calmed down a little knowing that Newt was not going to leave her alone. As long as Newt was only within a few feet, she would be able to sit in the darkness, she thought.

When she nodded, he continued. "Go sit back down, love. That way when I turn it off, you can just close your eyes and head straight to sleep. I promise I won't leave you."

She moved to get comfortable on the ground, not that any position was actually comfortable enough for her to get a good night's sleep and looked back up through the bars to watch him blow out the candle. Newt waited till she was still to raise the mason jar to his lips and blow out the light, instantly enveloping the two of them into the pitch-black.

The girl squealed when it first became dark, her fear instantly taking over. As she sat there longer in the dark, images of creepy figures were drawn in her mind until she believed they were sitting right in front of her; without the light, she had no way to know if it was real or not.

In her panic she had pulled her jacket over her head to cover her face, as if that would somehow protect her from the monsters and creepy-crawlies that might have been in this pit with her, all the while she subconsciously was letting out tiny whimpers that traveled up towards Newt.

Newt was the first person and most likely the only person in the Glade who knew of her fear of the dark. He was the one who she crept into bed with at night when the dark Glade felt even darker than usual and he was the one to comfort her with his arms wrapped tightly around her body. He was her living knight in shining armor, as he would be now.

"That's it," he muttered under his breath while pulling out a set of keys from his satchel. He observed that the girl hadn't heard his movement or she just hadn't said anything because she continued to lie shaking under her jacket. He undid the lock and climbed inside the pit, almost startling the poor girl to death.

"It's me! It's me, love!" His soft and familiar voice calmed the girl until she lay back against the dirt wall and waited for him to come closer. Once he did, she latched onto him like a leech. He allowed her to practically lay directly on top of him as she felt safe in his arms, temporally forgetting the darkness surrounding them.

Newt gently shushed her, his free hand running through her tangled hair that had been covered by the jacket and the other holding her waist tightly. Through his shirt, he could feel her heartbeat slowly falling into a steading pace from its erratic state only minutes before. A smile spread across his face as he noticed how easy it was for him to calm her down.

"I've got you, love," he whispered to her with his lips brushing against her heated skin. Her eyes were closed, not that it honestly made a difference in the darkness, and she was being soothed into a deep sleep by the familiar vibrations of her boyfriend's voice through his chest and the calming motion of his hands tangled in her hair.

"I told you, I'll always protect my girl. I'll always be here with you," he continued, knowing that his words and voice would calm her down. His eyes sparked when he glanced down at her peaceful face, her body now in a restful state of sleep. Come morning, she would still be terrified of the dark, but thanks to Newt, she could forget about it for a little while.