79. Love Somebody ~ De'Aaron Fox

Underdog Series [9]
Love Somebody
Featuring De'Aaron Fox

"Are you okay man? You've been sitting in these bleachers for the last half hour?" NBA legend and veteran Vince Carter said as he sat next to the rookie De'Aaron Fox.

De'Aaron quickly wiped his tears as he nodded his head, trying to convince the older man that he was okay.

"Yeah-" he paused to clear his throat, "Yeah I'm fine. Great actually."

Vince sucked his teeth, laughing softly at the younger man.

"Man stop with your bullshit. Your ass out here crying and shit and you trying tell my old ass you are fine. Okay man." Vince said as he continued laughing. De'Aaron let out a small chuckle as he scratched the back of his head.

"Aight aight. You got me." He said as he let out a small sigh. "It's just a lot of emotions just hit me after the game and it's like overwhelming."

"Is it because of the lost? I mean I know the team isn't having the best season ever shit, but you are guys are going through a learning process." Vince said as he advised the younger player. De'Aaron chuckled a bit as he shook his head.

"Thanks but nah. It isn't that at all."

"Oh good. Because if you cried after every lost your skinny ass would've been dehydrated as fuck." Vince simply said with a chuckle. De'Aaron laughed as he sucked his teeth, taking a sip from his water bottle.

"What is it then? If you don't mind confiding in the old man?"

"I just saw a girl in the stands earlier, kinda caught me off guard." De'Aaron said as he stared back out on the court.

"She broke your heart?" Vince asked with a raised brow. De'Aaron let out a dry chuckle as he shook his head.

"I think we broke each other's heart."

"Do explain?"

"We we're together while I was at Kentucky last year. Y/N, her name was Y/N. After getting eliminated in the tournament it took us as a time a while to get back to our normal selves. Like we were sure that we were going to win it all." He said smiling at the memory.

"But the time I felt that I needed her the most she was no where to be found. It hurt a bit because this was someone that I've fallen in love with. When I declared for the draft she came knocking on my dorm room and we just spat angry words at each other. A lot of our frustration that was built up over the last months just exploded there. After she left the room I've never heard from her since."

"Damn son and seeing her back brought back all those frustrating emotions?"

"I wouldn't say that it is frustrating. It just made me realized something. Something that I personally don't want to believe." De'Aaron stated as he played with his water bottle.

"You still love her don't you?" Vince said with a small smile on his face. De'Aaron nodded his head as he continued to watch straight in front of him.

"I thought moving to a new city, being around a new environment, even messing a couple of girls would change things but as soon as her chocolate skin glowing through the stands my heart started to race man. I'm still fucking in love with her and I know I'll probably never see her again."

"That's where your wrong Fox. When you're in love you will climb mountains for this person. Now I'm not saying you might be able to connect with her one time but faith will bring you back together eventually." Vince said as he patted his shoulder.

"Now get out of here and go home. Or go find your girl."

De'Aaron pulled up to his apartment complex, pulling out his phone from his pocket. As he scrolled through his messages, his finger hovered a number, debating whether he should call it or not.

"Hello." He smooth voice said through his car speakers. De'Aaron quickly cleared his throat as he worked up the nerves to answer her.

"Hey, Y/N. This is De'Aaron." He said trying not to sound overly excited.

"Oh hey Fox. Nice game to night." She said with a pit of congratulations in her voice. De'Aaron's heart raced as his mind flooded with all their wonderful memories.

"Thank you. Umm." He said as he paused a bit.

"Tell me."

"I was just wondering if it's possible if we can meet up and talk tomorrow over lunch?" He asked as he bit his lip out of nervousness. Y/N let out a small sigh which sent his nerves off the edge.

"I'm sorry, I can't. I'm leaving in the morning." Her voice said, genuinely sad about the situation. His chest hurt as he felt the first pain of rejection. However he was still determined to reconnect with her.

"How about tonight. I'm not doing anything right now." He said with a small smile, hoping that she would say yes.

"Sorry. I am about to leave the hotel and go on a date just now."

"Oh. Okay." He said as he tried to keep back in his tears. "I hope you have a wonderful night and I'll see you when I'm back in Lexington."

"Yes hopefully. Have a good night as well."

"Love you."

The call cut.

Tears quickly ran down his eyes as he punched the steering wheel. He couldn't believe the pain he was experiencing. His breathing quickened as he felt his chest tightened.

His anxiety was about to make him explode.

He quickly jumped out of the vehicle, taking deep breathes as he allowed his lungs to be filled with oxygen. Grabbing his duffel bag from the back seat, he kicked his tire out of pain and anger.

"Fuck this love shit man."

_._
Okay this is the last one for today. I promise 😭

I hoped you guys enjoyed it though.

Guys help me find a life, I'm fighting myself not to finish writing the series so I have something to do tomorrow. 🤦🏾‍♀️

Have a wonderful night.

One Love
Kam 🖤