Barbecue

I rush up the hot steps toward the house, my wet skin drying instantly due to the heat. I finally get to the porch when I see my uncle grilling steak, and patties on the grill, the smell is amazing.
"The waters magical isn't it?" He asks, flipping the patties.
"Yeah, it is magical" I tell him grabbing the towel I left on the wicker chair, he smiles. I walk inside, while my aunt is fluffing the pillows, and placing chips, and dip on the coffee table.
"I'm just gonna get dressed, and I'll be right out to help" I tell her, she nods, and I rush to the room. I change quickly into my black baggy Nirvana shirt, and some denim shorts. I grab the cutlery from the kitchen counter, and head outside to set it up on the table. Everything is set up by 4, and we continue making all the food. I hear a knock on the door, and put down the salad tongs, and head to answer it. I open the door, to Kai, and Kalani, smiling widely at me.
"Hey girl" Kalani says, hugging me quickly.
"Hey guys, come in" I say, moving over to let them in. Kai gives me a quick peck on his way inside, and my knees feel weak. We walk down the hallway to the kitchen, where my aunt is making mashed potatoes.
"Kalani, Kai, it's so nice to see you guys" she says wiping her hands on the apron, and giving them each quick hugs.
"It smells amazing in here, and thank you for inviting us, my parents send their regards, they're still at my grandparents" Kai says, my aunt smiles at him kindly.
"I know I talked to them earlier, I hope they're doing well, and I'm glad you two could make it" my aunt responds putting her hand on his arm, he smiles.
"Do you need our help with anything?" Kalani asks, my aunt shakes her head vigorously.
"No I'm all set, you guys go" She says with a wave of her hand.
"Do you guys want to head to the beach for a bit" I ask pointing toward the back door, they both nod. The salty air hits me as I open the back door, my uncle looks up from the grill, and smiles.
"Hey guys" My uncle says, Waving the hand with the tongs at them.
"Smells so good" Kalani says, my uncle smiles, and we head down the steps.
"So..... guess who was asking for you at the beach?"
Kalani asks, I look at her confused.
"What who?" I ask, as Kai moves closer to me, I smile.
"Leo" is all she says, and I groan.
"He kept talking about you, like all night" she continues, and that's when Kai puts his arm around me, as we walk along the beach.
"How, he doesn't even know me" I tell her, feeling light from the proximity of Kai.
"Well he wants to" she says, laughing at herself.
"But don't worry, if you see him I'm sure all my brothers PDA will make him back off" she says, making me laugh now. 
"Let's head back I'm starving" Kalani says, I nod, and we walk back. Just as Kalani races up the steps, Kai pulls me back.
"What?" I ask, just before he pulls me into a deep kiss, that makes my head spin.
"I just wanted to do that before we go into the house with your aunt and uncle all day" he says, making me laugh snort, which makes him chuckles.
"Well then I guess we should probably do that one more time, who knows how long we'll be up there"
I say, and he laughs now, as I pull him down to my lips. We finally rush up the stairs, and people have started gathering. A lot of people stop us to say hi to Kai, and tell me that they haven't seen me since I was little.
"God my aunt and uncle know a lot more people than I thought" I say, as we catch up with Kalani who's sitting on the couch, watching something on tv, and munching on a chip. Finally the foods done, and we all line up to eat. Kai, Kalani, and I eat at the bottom of the steps, looking at the waves break.
"Do you wanna come to the bonfire tonight" Kalani asks, her mouth full.
"Only if we're surfing" I say
"Obviously" She responds, and I nod. After dinner I head up to the deck, to find my aunt, and ask her if I can go to the bonfire.
"Hey is it okay if I go to the bonfire tonight with Kai, and Kalani?" I ask her as I slide onto her armrest, she looks up at me smiling.
"Sure, just text me what time you'll be home, and be safe" she says, I nod, and kiss her cheek
"I will, thanks!" I say rushing inside to grab my bathing suit, and beach bag. I meet Kai, and Kalani at the car, Kalani is spread out on the backseat as usual.
"We have to go to our house quickly, grab the surfboards" Kai says, backing out of the driveway, carefully. I blast the music, and open the window, the ocean air makes me smile. Kai grabs the surfboards quickly, and we head out right after. The beach is calm, the swarm of teenagers hasn't corrupted it yet, I wiggle my toes in the sand, relishing the feeling. I rush into the water, hopping onto my board, and paddling.
"You look ridiculous" Kalani screams as I let the wave take me under its current. I bob out of the water laughing.
"I'm having fun, so shut it" I tell, she paddles next to me, laughing.  We watch Kai ride a wave perfectly, and it's insanely hot. Kalani rides the next wave, throwing in a couple tricks to one up her brother, which makes us both laugh, she laughs so hard she falls off the board. The waves knock us down a lot, and I'm exhausted, but it's still the most fun I've had all day! People soon start piling in, and we're starting the fire, and drinking coolers. Kai keeps his arm around me the whole time, and I actually feel comfortable around people for once, it's really nice. I watch Kalani snuggle closer to Haku, and I smile at her, she blushes. Out of nowhere Leo appears, and I stall, he smiles widely at me.
"Hey, I haven't see you in a bit" he says, and my stomach twists.
"Yeah" I say, not really knowing what else to say, this doesn't seem to deter him, he continues.
"Well I still want to surf with you some time, I mean I'm down now if you are" he says, his eyes sparkling with excitement. I do want to surf, not with him in particular, I just love night surfing.
"Hey Kai, you wanna go surfing?" I ask him, his arm pulls me slightly closer.
"I always want to surf" he says, making me smile.
"Okay then, we're down" I tell Leo, whose smile falters, but quickly returns to normal.
"Cool, lets go" he yells grabbing his surfboard. I look at Kai, and giggle.
"Let's go" I say, following Leo in.