Better

"It wasn't that bad" Kalani says pulling my blankets off me.
"It was, I freaked out" I stammer, she smiles and I throw a pillow at her.
"You had residual anger it's fine" she defends, I sit back arms crossed.
"I was so mad, I hated the girl for no reason, Just because she got to go out with Dylan" I state, she nods, and sits down beside me.
"You were hurt and jealous that's okay" she shrugs.
"I know, and I'm not that embarrassed, more annoyed of myself" I say, she nods.
"Have you talked to Dylan?" She asks
"No, you and Jackson took me home and I haven't called him" I responds
"You should talk to him Vi" she says
"I know I have to" I admit
"Invite him to the beach with us" she hands me my phone. I quickly dial his number, my heart thumping loudly. It rings three times before he picks it up.
"Hey" he answers, his voice stiff.
"Hey, I was just wondering if you wanted to meet me at the beach, to talk?" I blurt, my voice uneven.
"Ya, when?" He responds quickly, I sigh in relief.
"Twenty minutes?" I ask
"Okay meet you there" he says before hanging up.
"He said he'll meet me there" I tell Kalani, she smiles reassuringly. I quickly get dressed and grab my board, Kalani and I walk down. Kalani spots Jackson right away, and runs to him. I sit in the sand, as they paddle out, waiting for Dylan. I see a baby by the water, her mom's holding her up laughing as she rubs her chubby legs with sand. I smile to myself, the mom kisses her cheeks laughing harder.
"Adorable right" I hear Dylan, I squint up at him.
"Hey" I smile, he sits down
"She's adorable" I add looking back at the baby and her mom
"Anyway, I wanted to talk" I say, lifting my knees to my chest.
"I'm just confused Vi" he says, I nod.
"Honestly so am I. Last night was weird and I felt so off, and I was angry for no reason" I lie, my skin flushing.
"Why did you feel off, what's wrong?" He asks, it feels like my heart skips a beat then, and I pull him
Into a hug.
"I'm sorry for being weird, you're my best friend and thank you for caring" I blurt all at once still clinging tightly to him.
"Vi, you don't have to thank me for being there for you. I want to know what's wrong, I don't ask cause I have to" he says, I feel his fingers in my hair, and my skin burns.
"Hi" we hear Riley's voice and break apart, no doubt I'm blushing
"Hey sorry was I interrupting?" She asks
"We were just talking" I say, she nods
"Oh Elle over here" Riley calls, I notice Kai walking towards us. Elle shows up, her blue bikini shining in the bright sun.
"Dylan" she smiles down at him. She's wearing a white sun hat, and sunglasses.
"Hey, I didn't know you were gonna be here" he responds, I push some hair from my face.
"Ya Riley invited me" she says, her eyes travel to mine then, her smile widening in a tight uncomfortable way.
"You're Viola right" she asks
"Violet" I correct
"Oh I'm sorry, brain burp" she giggles, I nod. I notice Kai and Riley, talking quietly a bit away.
"Wanna go for a swim?" Elle asks Dylan, a smirk on her face.
"I should actually finish my conversation with Violet first, you go ahead" he smiles politely, she falters slightly not expecting that answer. She walks off towards Riley and Kai.
"I never asked how your date was?" I blurt before he can bring up last night again.
"It was okay, not sure we're the best fit" he says, I try not to smile.
"Why?" I ask
"She's very peppy, you know me I have a dark sense of humour" he smiles
"Well no one finds you funny anyway" I joke, he laughs loudly.
"You know I'm hilarious" he smirks, my stomach coils tightly.
"You're alright"
"I'll take it" he responds.
"Is that it?" I ask, he licks his lips slowly.
"I'm not sure if, well there's" he stutters, my heart rate picks up.
"There's no spark" he blurts, I nod. He's staring at me intensely again, it sets my skin on fire.
"Is there ever spark?" I gulp
"I've felt a spark before, you just know" he mutters his eyes moving down to my lips. He's looking at my lips, and my hearts beating really fast.
"Dylan" Elle calls suddenly, and we spring apart.
"Go" I smile, he hesitates before standing and walking towards the water. I watch as she links their arms, and smiles up at him. My hearts still beating out of control.
"Hey, I was wondering what happened last night, you seemed out of it" Riley asks me, I turn away from Dylan and Elle.
"Im fine now" I smile tightly, she nods looking over at Dylan and Elle.
"They make a cute couple right?" She asks, I nod.
"Anyway got to get this one in the water" she points to Kai. Kai looks at me, his eyes roaming over me. His face looks tense, and he looks like he wants to ask me something.
"What?" I ask
"Nothing" he responds and then Riley's pulling him towards the water. I turn back to Elle and Dylan. She's now sitting in the shallow water, leaning back on her palms, face towards the sun. Dylan stands above her looking very confused. I look over at Kai and Riley. Riley's squealing as Kai rushes into the water. He pops back up, his hair covering his eyes. Riley laughs pulling him closer to her. A pang of nostalgia hits me. I turn back to Dylan, who's now looking back at me. He's grinning, his hair blowing slightly in the breeze. I smile despite myself, and his grin widens. I watch as he grabs a handful of wet sand, I stare confused. Then suddenly he's running towards me, and I have no time to escape before he dumps the sand on my head laughing loudly.
"Dylan, you're so dead" I say standing. He laughs rushing back to the water. I run quickly grabbing wet sand as I go. I chuck it at his back, making him laugh harder. I grab another handful, he stops, a shit eating grin on his face.
"It was a joke" he tilts his head
"Oh it was only a joke" I say, he nods
"Well In that case" I say as I throw the mud ball at his chest. It hits him, sliding down his chest, I laugh loudly.
"Even" I say, he sighs and nods.
"Although you got off easy" I say before diving into the cool water to wash my hair. Dylan always find a way to make me feel better.